18 18
quade

DB Cooper

(edited)
17 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

That makes no sense either and the first time you brought it up. they want something, they will go after it. first you said he never replied and now say they said no dice?

I'm discussing the topic. it has nothing to do with my involvement. not wanting to be a part of something doesn't mean it can't be discussed. 

Yes, I understand. And no...I don't mind discussing these things up to a point. Maybe I didn't explain the situation well enough. It went like this: (kind of a simple version, but accurate)

1) They sign AB to the film contract. You asked me how I got the recruiting job for consultants. Fair enough. I had it added to my contract. It says that I have the right to review the script and suggest changes, although they don't have to accept them. I have the right of refusal to anyone working on that script...EXCEPT for the main screenwriter. That means Bruce or any other consultant on the script. 
2) Later, they ask me if I know anyone who might want to come on board as consultants for the picture, especially to get the details correct from the time Cooper boards until he jumps. 
3) I suggest that Bruce Smith might work. I also suggest that a place called The DB Cooper Forum, since it is the biggest site on Cooper, might be interested somehow. 
4) They send me a copy of a consultant contract that includes a one-time offer of $15,000, payable on what they call First Day of Production Filming. (More or less a legal term) This is paid by a third-party company assigned to this job, same company that pays everyone from the main budget. This is common these days, and was started long ago to prevent producers from raising money and then running off to Mexico. B|
5) Some of the consulting fee is paid up front after the contract is signed. (The upfront is paid not by the third party company, but by the studio itself.) Most likely about $2,500. I was allowed to make TWO offers to two different people. That was the budget. 
6) I approached Bruce, explained the situation. I got one-line answers at best. Once he told me he wanted to speak directly with the producers. They said no...not without a signature. They were interested, but not THAT interested. 
7) Bruce could have found out everything anyway, simply by asking to see the contract. He didn't even bother to do that. 
8) The studio withdrew its offer. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Bruce had a lot to say Robert. you always skew. as I mentioned you first said he never replied. I remember him telling me he was thinking about it. regardless to what you say it never lines up with what I hear from him. I also recall him asking for a contract or something like that. of course he's going to want to deal with them. I could only imagine what you would do if it was reversed. you are also well known for sending a fleet of emails. one after another when asking or wanting something. then you get made when no replies come. 

If the movie surrounds Kenny. the only site or possible places to search would be coming from you. I told you in the past that I wasn't interested in speaking with them due to my beliefs. if they are dead set on making a movie implying Kenny was Cooper they should have all of the facts anyway? I also refuse to work with you due to personality conflicts. 

If they withdrew the offer. it is what it is. everyone is happy. nothing is a loss at this point. 

Why Bruce over 377? 

(edited)
9 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

Bruce had a lot to say Robert. you always skew. as I mentioned you first said he never replied. I remember him telling me he was thinking about it. regardless to what you say it never lines up with what I hear from him. I also recall him asking for a contract or something like that. of course he's going to want to deal with them. I could only imagine what you would do if it was reversed. you are also well known for sending a fleet of emails. one after another when asking or wanting something. then you get made when no replies come. 

If the movie surrounds Kenny. the only site or possible places to search would be coming from you. I told you in the past that I wasn't interested in speaking with them due to my beliefs. if they are dead set on making a movie implying Kenny was Cooper they should have all of the facts anyway? I also refuse to work with you due to personality conflicts. 

If they withdrew the offer. it is what it is. everyone is happy. nothing is a loss at this point. 

Why Bruce over 377? 

Let me answer your last question first. I thought of Bruce for the job because I thought he would be best suited for the details between Cooper boarding and jumping. And because of his book, etc. Yes...377 is a solid guy and knows a lot about the case, but frankly it never occurred to me to ask him to consult on such details for the script. Bruce sounded like the guy for the job, even though we had previous differences. It wasn't that he didn't reply to my offer at ALL...he would just shoot me a pithy one-liner email, and even then only once or twice. I finally gave up on him. 

One of the producers, when he found out that Bruce had personal issues with me, and that this was part of the reason he wasn't answering, (or just shooting off nothing one-line emails) said this:

"Lots of people in the film business don't get along. Some hate each other. But it's a business. When the time comes, people get professional and do their jobs..."  (a bit paraphrased, but more or less what he said) They couldn't understand his attitude, putting personal issues before business issues. They called him amateur and unprofessional. I thought he was foolish, to tell you the truth. 

Look, it's no big deal. Marty Andrade turned down a consulting job on the picture as well. And we all know Bruce would not have been able to keep confidentiality, even for money. Hell...I have no such problem. It was better for everyone the way it turned out. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I don't have the time you do. I went through a lot of time with producers in the past. when they contact me now. I just give them basic information as I did not to long ago. I have a heavy work load, other interests etc. my life is very fast paced. I don't have the time I had years ago. Cooper interests me enough to research. I actually downplayed my simulator to them. I just don't have time for it. If I refuse work and time, then I can play all day on the internet. I have to deal with contractors, workers complaining about the heat, no shows, jobs behind or something wrong with them, deadlines etc. 

The public? not a lot of people really care one way or the other. some members check in daily, others weekly, monthly, a couple times a year. I'm sure non-members do the same. 

2 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

I don't have the time you do. I went through a lot of time with producers in the past. when they contact me now. I just give them basic information as I did not to long ago. I have a heavy work load, other interests etc. my life is very fast paced. I don't have the time I had years ago. Cooper interests me enough to research. I actually downplayed my simulator to them. I just don't have time for it. If I refuse work and time, then I can play all day on the internet. I have to deal with contractors, workers complaining about the heat, no shows, jobs behind or something wrong with them, deadlines etc. 

The public? not a lot of people really care one way or the other. some members check in daily, others weekly, monthly, a couple times a year. I'm sure non-members do the same. 

If the public is losing interest in Cooper...maybe that's because people in Cooperland refuse to work for the common good. I get these emails asking why this happens. I also get tired of answering them. 

Look...I do my part. I supported Eric's Boat Tours, and although I have doubts...I still support the idea of Cooper Con. I haven't completely given up on Cooper. 

Everyone is busy. Today I am off work. But mostly it's scrubbing people's big-ass homes four days a week and then five or six hours a day SAT and SUN working for that senior lady. And I am substantially older than most of the people reading these posts. B| Hell...I thought I was supposed to retire at this point, but Gayla keeps scheduling up more new families all the damn time. What is wrong with that girl? (*laughs*)

3 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

"Lots of people in the film business don't get along. Some hate each other. But it's a business. When the time comes, people get professional and do their jobs..."  (a bit paraphrased, but more or less what he said) They couldn't understand his attitude, putting personal issues before business issues. They called him amateur and unprofessional. I thought he was foolish, to tell you the truth. 

Everybody is different. this isn't Hollywood. I hear those names called about you as well, Robert. it is what it is. 

Perhaps if they actually spoke with him outside of listening to you speak for him they might have a different outlook or understanding. I can't speak for his actions but somehow you always do. Hollywood is full of backstabbing, lying, money hungry fools. they use and abuse at every corner...

This isn't a job, Robert. I don't need to do anything. you can't speak for everyone either. 

When I opened my forum. I didn't see any clause telling me I had to seek out the public and promote till the sun goes down? we have multiple producers on the site. bloggers, ex military, skydivers, radio personalities, television producers, ex-police officers. all kinds of people, even a guy from Homeland security who pops on a couple times a year from his office.. yes, bad one's too. Brian Ingram joined when it first opened. he only posted once, but showed support. Tom Kaye often comments. televisions shows have aired with members of the forum. I don't have to go on Quora, or reddit. what do you expect, 500 members posting at one time? a couple times a year it gets some hype and dies right back down to us.

(edited)

Shutter:  No one was asking you to do anything specifically. I merely mentioned that if the public is losing interest in the Cooper case, this could be rectified a bit if people actually got along and supported each other in a professional manner on anything public-oriented. 

I don't actually need such cooperation from anyone. The movie thing will happen or it won't. I don't worry about it anymore.

And it isn't that hard to recruit maybe a dozen people for a three-day campout, especially when the entertainment and BBQ is provided for free. Hell, I would go camping even if NO ONE showed up, just for the break from work. 

I was more looking at Cooperland in general, the bigger stuff. Cooper Con, boat tours, a new book, whatever. I'm already starting to look PAST Cooper, to tell you the truth. I will be retiring to either the area near Vista, CA or maybe near Mesa, AZ. One of the two for sure, and that will happen no later than June of 2021. 

My only real disappointment this year was my failure to bring Cooperland together for the Big Ass Cooper Party/Cooper Convention...with maybe a thousand people in attendance, maybe more...and all the speakers being paid from the gate receipts. I wasn't even planning to speak, and the Decoded cast weren't going to push Kenny on anybody. They still have a ton of fans, and not really for Cooper, but the show itself. Hollywood kid was 90% showing in person, or at least sending a video if nothing else. We would have packed the house. 

Now everyone must settle for whatever Eric brings to the table. Who knows? He might surprise everyone and pull off the biggest convention yet. I can't go again this year, even if I were welcome. Gayla's mom can no longer fly...she's getting up in years...so we have to fly down to San Diego again this Thanksgiving. 

EDIT: I have taken down the article about Bruce from both Quora and WordPress. I think the relevant people have seen it, and there's no need to make it a permanent addition to either of those sites. I think everyone understands what actually happened with that incident, so there is no point in harping on about it. 

Besides...I have to make room for the August campout article. 9_9

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Robert, people don't like your personality. you speak of others having arrogants? nobody wants to work with you is what it boils down to. it has nothing to do with jealousy either. many moons ago you constantly asked people to research your story. we did that and it's been trouble ever since. Kenny is a small portion of the problem. 

Researching Cooper is very hard with you in a room. two pages of wasted space just today. the guys/guy on Bruce's site were getting a little out of hand. you claim it doesn't bother you but continue to post things almost a decade old now. when you get asked something the credibility card pops up. not all producers are like the one's you are dealing with. they want the story minus the bull. you constantly try to mold a perfect world. Flyjack won't post a lot of things because some people take the credit. 

Your public is easily fooled. any new suspect comes along and you will read the public now believes that guy was Cooper. "makes sense to me" "it all adds up" etc. I don't need that or want it..you can have it.  

(edited)
51 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

Robert, people don't like your personality. you speak of others having arrogants? nobody wants to work with you is what it boils down to. it has nothing to do with jealousy either. many moons ago you constantly asked people to research your story. we did that and it's been trouble ever since. Kenny is a small portion of the problem. 

Researching Cooper is very hard with you in a room. two pages of wasted space just today. the guys/guy on Bruce's site were getting a little out of hand. you claim it doesn't bother you but continue to post things almost a decade old now. when you get asked something the credibility card pops up. not all producers are like the one's you are dealing with. they want the story minus the bull. you constantly try to mold a perfect world. Flyjack won't post a lot of things because some people take the credit. 

Your public is easily fooled. any new suspect comes along and you will read the public now believes that guy was Cooper. "makes sense to me" "it all adds up" etc. I don't need that or want it..you can have it.  

Well, I don't have this 'personality problem' with the people I meet personally. When you say 'no one wants to work with you,' this means a very small group in Cooperland. And sometimes it is their loss and nobody's gain. You make offers...maybe they get refused. Sometimes it backfires on people. Tell me Bruce couldn't have used that $2,500 upfront payment, for example. Free money unless they actually get to the part where they sub that portion of the script to him. It's business, not personal, as they said in The Godfather. I know how to separate the two. Even if they make the movie, sure...they will take liberties. Hollywood is famous for that.

When I watched the Johnny Depp film, Public Enemies, I was a big fan of John Dillinger. And I saw right away that the movie was really in-accurate. For example, Dillinger was already dead when Pretty Boy Floyd was killed in that cornfield. (Movie has him in an apple orchard, anyway) All kinds of stuff was wrong historically in that film. Walter Dietrich was NOT killed when Dillinger broke Dietrich and some of his other friends out of state prison. I did like the part where Dietrich gets dragged along by the car and then dies. Not true, not even close. But it's entertainment. A business.  

As far as Kenny...I can see where you have a point. But the truth is that I found out a lot more about him, and the evidence against him...long after the Decoded show aired and the Blast book came out. Some of it I can't even make public right now. That info belongs to the production companies until they either make the movie or drop the option. And if they drop the option, I will be more than glad to tell you everything we know. 

This is why I try not to harp on about Kenny too much here at DZ. Because it isn't fair to everyone. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
17 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

The topic isn't about people you meet or deal with outside of these forums. you sound like you are trying to buy people Robert. not everyone is for sale. very tacky. 

Buy people? LOL not with my money. Let's be real here. If you are an actor, and your agent calls you with an offer, or a writer...and your AAR agent calls with an offer to publish...is that 'buying' people? I don't think so. I was just the reluctant middleman with Bruce anyway. Not like I wanted to approach him, or even you for that matter. Yes, i wanted the producers to do that job. But when they granted me those rights in the contract, they left it to me to decide who might be best for the job. When I asked for final approval on anyone who gets to work on the script...(except the selection of the main screenwriter, over which I had NO control)...then they figured I should approach the people I thought would be best for certain jobs. I was allowed to have two people assigned as 'consultants' on the film. The total budget was $30,000. Half to each. If only ONE person is signed, the other 15 K goes back into budget. That's what they set up. 

They were familiar with the websites and some of the Cooper folks who hang around them posting. What they didn't know was Who Would Be Best for certain jobs on the script. They kind of left that to me. Besides...it was the rights to Blast, as well as the public and private files we had on the case that they were REALLY buying. So they thought I should be the one to make the approaches. 

If Bruce had signed, he could have contacted them, worked with them, etc. He wasn't interested. So the whole thing is moot. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
16 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Buy people? LOL not with my money.

Exactly, you are trying with other peoples money. Bruce did show interest. you always fail to really read or listen to things said. too busy with the negative. 

The bottom line is the production company should of handled the matter surrounding Bruce or anyone else. if they were that concerned or even cared they would of went that avenue. they make multi million dollar deals and don't want to get involved with something that would benefit the movie? sounds like there loss. 

You keep speaking about business. that's exactly what I would of done. ask to speak with them directly. they don't want to play. then I go away.

Edited by mrshutter45

(edited)
20 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

Exactly, you are trying with other peoples money. Bruce did show interest. you always fail to really read or listen to things said. too busy with the negative. 

The bottom line is the production company should of handled the matter surrounding Bruce or anyone else. if they were that concerned or even cared they would of went that avenue. they make multi million dollar deals and don't want to get involved with something that would benefit the movie? sounds like there loss. 

You keep speaking about business. that's exactly what I would of done. ask to speak with them directly. they don't want to play. then I go away.

Shutter: Bruce was NOT interested. If he had been interested, he would have responded with more than a one-liner email, and no more than three of them. I bent over backwards with him, and for MONTHS. He didn't listen, or even comment. 

I have explained this three times now, and this is the LAST time:

When I asked for...and RECEIVED...a contract addition granting me the rights to approval, or disapproval on anyone going near that script (except the main screenwriter), I was expected to nominate and help arrange the people I thought would be best for those jobs. Why would the producers waste their time nominating people to me? They granted me this right. So they said: "Well, go ahead and see what you can do." I wanted that approval right, so they threw it right back at me. "Okay, this is the budget. Who do you think will work?" 

It made perfect sense. The problem, I realized pretty quick...was there were personal issues going here. I told the producers it probably wouldn't work. They told me to try anyway. So I did. Not my fault people refused the offers. 

Come on, Shutter. You aren't being realistic. We both know that even had the producers made the approaches themselves, neither you, Bruce, or anyone associated with the Cooper Forum would have agreed to assist on a film based on the hijacking that contained a Kenny angle. And even if they did...it is more likely they would have violated confidentiality, or started trashing the whole thing publicly. It would have been a mess. 

It was actually better you all refused. I breathed a sigh of relief, to tell you the truth. I knew it would be a problem one way or another.

EDIT:  In one of his very curt responses to me, Bruce said he couldn't work with me and wanted to work directly with the producers ONLY. I told him that was impossible since I had the contractual rights on additions, mods, etc to the script provided by him. And that we would HAVE to work together at some point for the finished product. That portion of the script would have been going back and forth between both of us, as well as the main writer. He just ignored that completely. I never could get through to him how it was going to work.

It really WAS better he refused.  I couldn't make Bruce understand that the producers don't write the script. The writer they hire does that. Bruce and I would be working with him. Me mostly on the Kenny stuff. Bruce on the parts between boarding and jumping. I got approval on any changes made by Bruce, or any other consultant to the script. Bruce wanted the impossible. He wanted carte blanche on a portion of the script without any interference from the person who had the approval rights to changes...yours truly. It was the immovable object vs the irresistible force. It never would have worked. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Robert, you constantly "speak for others" I hear and read a different story. it's proper business to deal direct. this company sounds more like you. how can that be?

One liner, two liner..it's still interest, no? he asked to deal with them directly and got the run around. that's the bottom line. it doesn't make sense for them to do this without some sort of interference? you report back telling them he wants to speak with them and they say no? 

(edited)
3 hours ago, mrshutter45 said:

I'm done with arguing over something that hasn't become reality....

This bothers me not a bit, since you keep ignoring reality. I waste my time explaining things to you in a straight-up manner and you keep ignoring this effort. I gave you the respect you deserve. Now you whine saying "There's no movie yet...so I am taking my ball and going home..."

What the producers asked me to do, in exchange for granting me the rights to consultant approval (and changes to the script done by anyone hired to assist)...makes PERFECT sense. Let me give you an example.

Suppose a studio buys the rights to an author's book. Don't you think that author gets granted certain approval rights regarding the script, and how the story will be presented on film? You think Stephen King doesn't get some rights before they start making a movie from one of his books? Of course he does. When sci-fi writer Ursula K Le Guin was still alive, we used to exchange letters and the occasional phone call. (before I got involved with the Cooper case) She warned me that she had not asked for script approval rights and when Hollywood got through with her Earthsea series, and the movie based on her book, The Lathe of Heaven, she was so disgusted she said she would never sell rights to any of her work again. So I knew what 'the deal' was with these guys. 

Now I am FAR from being Stephen King, that's a given. But it was not only the book they were getting the rights to, but the entire investigation and all the files to base the movie on. I had already read that getting some approval rights was a good idea, so I asked for that in the contract. And because I was much more familiar with the so-called experts in Cooperland, and knew Kenny's story better than anyone...they asked me to find the consultants I thought were best. If I really 'hated' Bruce, why would I even approach him for such a lucrative job? Not my fault he turned it down. If he had regrets doing that, he would have said so by now. He must be okay with it. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

That's not the point at all. they are in control of there own company. not you. if they don't want to take control with a simple phone call. it's there loss. they should of said they have no problem speaking with him and taken it from that point. he turned it down due to no communication with them. I don't blame him. he doesn't trust you and you don't trust him. it should of never taken place. that's exactly why I stayed away from this. 

I don't have anymore time to deal with this. I can't stay up till the sun comes up. you still have 8 more hours here. I don't...

(edited)
6 hours ago, mrshutter45 said:

That's not the point at all. they are in control of there own company. not you. if they don't want to take control with a simple phone call. it's there loss. they should of said they have no problem speaking with him and taken it from that point. he turned it down due to no communication with them. I don't blame him. he doesn't trust you and you don't trust him. it should of never taken place. that's exactly why I stayed away from this. 

I don't have anymore time to deal with this. I can't stay up till the sun comes up. you still have 8 more hours here. I don't...

This isn't about 'control of their own company'. This is about how the film system works, at least for this movie. Of course they own the company. That isn't the point and I'm not explaining it again. 

You think movie producers are just going to call up Bruce because I tell them he won't speak, or deal with the person upon whose book and investigatory files the whole damn movie is to be based upon? If I told them that, they would have written him off right then and there. I actually STALLED them for months trying to give Bruce a chance to sign on to assist on the script. To see sense...to get the money he was wanting to make his life a bit better. Are you kidding me? Just working with the guy would have been a HUGE risk on my part. A MASSIVE risk. 

What if he blabs everything after they pay him the upfront money? What if he doesn't even wait THAT long...and just goes public after seeing the contract? I offered him the biggest opportunity he had received to that point regarding Cooper. And I was risking a lot more than what he would get for consulting on the script. It was a huge gamble on my part, and one of the most generous things I had ever done. 

Not my fault he turned it all down. HIS fault. He foolishly believed that it was okay for me to tell the production company that he would work on the picture, but have nothing to do with the author of the book, the holder of the investigatory files? Geez, Louise. Get real. He would have had to work with me. There was no choice. I tried to convince him it was just business, but he was pretty stubborn. Like I said a few posts back, some people in Cooperland shoot themselves in the foot so often, it's a miracle they aren't going around in wheelchairs. B|

There is one thing here though. If Bruce turned down the offer over moral issues and nothing else, if he would have refused an offer ten times higher just because he wouldn't work with me...I can actually respect that. I will assume that no matter the offer, it wouldn't have mattered. And for that, okay...he gets some respect. 

It's easier for me to think about his decision that way, rather than the alternative, which is he passed up a good offer based on emotion and foolishness. I like to think it was a moral choice for him, and that he would have refused no matter HOW much the offer. And if that was the case, I can actually respect his decision. Maybe he has better morals on who he will work with, and who he will not. 

I have to admit that if the situation were reversed, and Bruce's book was being made into a film...and he approached me with the same offer...I would have set aside morals and just taken the money, and done the best I could with whatever I was asked to do. 

Early morning edit:  This is a short article with details on the next Cooper Campout, being held August 16-19 in the Olympics. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I don't think asking for the production company to deal with him directly is out of line. I'm guessing that's the one liners. "have them contact me" it's what he's been saying from the start. has nothing to do with morals or you or the book. It's business, remember? 

You should have never included him based on the last comments you made about him. that's also business 101. 

I'll have to find his comments surrounding all of this. I don't recall him turning anything down but do recall him wanting to speak with them directly. 

You twist things around telling people we were bypassed when it's actually the opposite. I clearly stated multiple times not wanting to get involved. Andrade said about the same but I believe he mentioned it had nothing to do with you. where is any fault in this. who was bypassed when they were asked? 

I'm positive if reversed you would post a load of conditions. one would be direct contact. years have passed and you constantly skew the truth in all of this and still no reality to any of it to date. just a cluster of drama. move on for crying out loud. 

(edited)
35 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

I don't think asking for the production company to deal with him directly is out of line. I'm guessing that's the one liners. "have them contact me" it's what he's been saying from the start. has nothing to do with morals or you or the book. It's business, remember? 

You should have never included him based on the last comments you made about him. that's also business 101. 

I'll have to find his comments surrounding all of this. I don't recall him turning anything down but do recall him wanting to speak with them directly. 

You twist things around telling people we were bypassed when it's actually the opposite. I clearly stated multiple times not wanting to get involved. Andrade said about the same but I believe he mentioned it had nothing to do with you. where is any fault in this. who was bypassed when they were asked? 

I'm positive if reversed you would post a load of conditions. one would be direct contact. years have passed and you constantly skew the truth in all of this and still no reality to any of it to date. just a cluster of drama. move on for crying out loud. 

I gave it to you straight up from the start of this discussion. You can be 'positive' about this or that. Doesn't mean you are right about this or that. 

I am not a mind reader. I had to make the approach to Bruce in order for him to say no. I believe he refused on moral grounds, because he didn't want to work with me. Everyone has choices. He made his. Because he made it on moral grounds, I respect him for it. But I had to try as much as I could. No one can fault me for trying. You can make offers. People are free to decline. If I had a problem accepting Bruce's refusal to discuss the situation, I got over it. I gave him every chance I could, even stalling the producers for a few months saying I was trying to discuss things with him. In the end, it just didn't work out. My conscience is clear. I tried working with him for months with hardly a response beyond the occasional one-liner. I would not call that 'interest'.

You seem to have more of a problem with all of this than Bruce does. I have moved on.

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Robert, it appears once again you are speaking for others. you said he only gave you one liners but feel free to fill in the gaps on his decision? he tells others, even while you were present on his forum he wanted to deal with them or speak with them directly. why that wasn't possible is a mystery. if he decided to not get involved because of you or not speaking with the production company or any other reason, then that appears to be his choice. it really doesn't matter what you think. it's his decision, not yours. 

Didn't you post something last year about them finding a writer? I remember the first stall was looking for another company and then a "green light" once the connection was confirmed. then a writer stall. shouldn't a major production company have all of this in place and know who to go after. I'm not trying to be mean but it sounds very low budget. I fail to see a connection to any stalls. budget isn't a problem. why so long getting a writer? they should know everyone. it's hard to understand when I speak with people I know in Hollywood. they have no ties with Cooper either. 

(edited)
6 hours ago, mrshutter45 said:

Robert, it appears once again you are speaking for others. you said he only gave you one liners but feel free to fill in the gaps on his decision? he tells others, even while you were present on his forum he wanted to deal with them or speak with them directly. why that wasn't possible is a mystery. if he decided to not get involved because of you or not speaking with the production company or any other reason, then that appears to be his choice. it really doesn't matter what you think. it's his decision, not yours. 

Didn't you post something last year about them finding a writer? I remember the first stall was looking for another company and then a "green light" once the connection was confirmed. then a writer stall. shouldn't a major production company have all of this in place and know who to go after. I'm not trying to be mean but it sounds very low budget. I fail to see a connection to any stalls. budget isn't a problem. why so long getting a writer? they should know everyone. it's hard to understand when I speak with people I know in Hollywood. they have no ties with Cooper either. 

If you don't believe anything that you are told...then why bother to ask questions? I have explained the situation with Bruce now, as well as the movie producers...at length. You just aren't HEARING it. 

Movies created from a book, as well as a great number of investigatory files, don't happen overnight. It can take years to bring a book to film. So far, they have been very professional and methodical in their approach to the project. They are not 'stalling', but doing something else called 'working'. 

Half the comments you post up about all this make no sense at all. You just don't seem to grasp what happened, even though I have already gone into detail about it with you not once...but SEVERAL times. Are you having problems comprehending what you are reading, or what? 

Bruce said he would work with the producers on the script, but not with me. It was unrealistic, since I am the co-author of the book they basically purchased for film. We would HAVE to work together or it was no go. Bruce never answered my many emails with anything more than a single line in a message, or maybe a few words. It was plain he wasn't really interested. So why are you questioning his decision now? It was HIS decision after all, not yours. I'm sure Bruce reads this thread. He reads everything Cooper-related. If he has any questions, or comments...he should make them himself. Why does he need YOU to do this for him?

'Speaking for others' - When you ask questions regarding the film, and since I can't tell you the names of the producers or the production companies...that is the way it is. I have to speak for them right now because of that very reason. 

Stop worrying about the damn movie. It's not like YOU have a stake in it or something. You've already said twice you didn't want to be involved in it. So why do you worry about it so much? You are practically freaking out about it and going on about your friends in Hollywood, etc which is pretty boring and has nothing to do with this.

You have nothing to gain (or lose) whether it is made or not. For somebody who makes a firm point on not caring about it, or not wanting to be involved in it...you sure have a lot of questions. You can believe what you wish. I have already answered all of your questions in depth, and with a great deal of patience. The answers are already in my previous posts. 

Trust me. If there is any more news about the picture, I will be the first to post it up. 

I will answer ONE of your questions for the final time, maybe because you still don't 'get it'. Question was:  Why wouldn't the producers contact Bruce directly, after he requested this?

ANSWER: Because it wasn't their job to nominate people who would be working on the script, except for the main screenwriter. It was MY job, according to contract. If I had told them that Bruce wasn't willing to work with the actual author of the book, they would have blown him off anyway. I didn't tell them that for a long time, because I was still trying to convince Bruce to come on board. As you know, Bruce is a pretty stubborn guy, but in this case stubbornness was not the order of the day. Cooperation was the key. He was completely non-cooperative. You can't work on a script based on someone's book while at the same time telling the producers you also cannot work with the author. It was unrealistic and foolish. He never wanted to accept the money and work on the script anyway. It's my belief he was just trying to find out who was doing the movie...and then he would have written a trashy article about the project. In the end, it was better the way things turned out. I still think it was a moral decision on his part...that is...he wouldn't have been willing to work with me no matter what money was offered. So the whole thing was moot from the start. There was never a chance he was coming on board. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I can ask anything I wish Robert. I won't tolerate bullies. the topic was about the movie and Bruce. your story conflicts with what the other party states. I recall him stating these things while you were still on his site. prior to being banned. you keep bringing these things up and then get upset when things swing the other way. you first claimed on this board that he never responded. then it was a couple one liners and now more comes to light. which was it? the first response was not true at all. not caring about being involved has nothing to do with this. it's part of a discussion started by another member here that I replied to. I'm not worried about anything. I'm relying to statements made. that's how these boards work? I didn't bring it up. 

When I read the same comment about Bruce you made recently, I believe it's the same. you claim they are looking at two writers. and say it's hard to find one with a good solid track record..I remembered the statement you made in 2018. 

"Received message this morning, followed by a Skype. A writer has finally been chosen to tell the Kenny Christiansen story for the upcoming picture. l was asked for my approval, but that was just a courtesy by the producers. I said ‘sure’. This screenwriter has a solid track record."

You have options on discussion boards. you can reply or ignore. maybe it's you that shouldn't worry so much? no biggie. 

'I can ask anything I wish Robert. I won't tolerate bullies. the topic was about the movie and Bruce. your story conflicts with what the other party states...'

LOL no one is 'bullying' you. I have been more than patient and polite with you. An entire page of comprehensive answers to your questions...and you keep asking the same questions. Get some new ones.

And where is Bruce in all of this? Are you his official spokesperson now? He knows where Dropzone is. If he has questions or concerns on how certain decisions were made...why isn't HE asking them? Why does he need YOU to do this for him? Last time I heard, Bruce was a pretty outspoken guy and didn't need anyone to represent him regarding Cooper questions, especially when his name is attached to the question. :)

As far as the selection of the writer back in 2018, he was dropped from the project when the other studio came on board. THAT studio, after a meeting between the producers from both studios, suggested possibly using other screenwriters from a list, people they had used previously who had a track record. This list was eventually narrowed down to two people. Both of them submitted 'treatments,' which are basically 10-20 page outlines on how they thought the story should be presented on film. A decision on which one will actually write the final shooting script has not yet been made. 

You block me from your website, don't answer any emails...and then act surprised when you are always the last to find out anything we do, or any information. Don't get me wrong...I'm actually okay with being blocked because I have nothing to say at the Cooper Forum, and I no longer want to be associated with Bruce's website, due to the nasty comments he allows, (You've admitted yourself they are out of control over there) and the threats some of his supporters made recently. It's bad medicine, as they say. Your website is okay, but I prefer Dropzone. Don't take it personally. 

It isn't like AB of Seattle has an active discussion forum going anymore, you know. And here at Dropzone, I don't generally spend my time updating people on the movie project. Or every single detail regarding progress on the movie since January 2017. Most people would find that boring PDQ. The only thing people REALLY want to know is when First Day of Production Shooting begins. When I know that...YOU will know. 

I know you are excited over the idea of going to Fandango and buying YOUR ticket to the first dramatic feature created on the Cooper case, but you have to be patient. The average length of time it takes between an option purchase and when shooting actually begins is two to three years. Four or five years is not unusual. 

It looks like they are planning for a shoot and release in 2021, the anniversary of the hijacking. In fact, I have been asked about this idea and I said I thought it was a good one. Of course I wish they would do it sooner, but I realize a 2021 release makes sense. I have patience, and I trust the companies and the producers behind this film completely. 

Bruce Smith decided he could not work with me. This is why he is not involved in editing the script. That's the simplest answer I can give. If I had contacted the producers and told them Bruce was willing to work on the script...but not the author of the book or the person who submitted all the files they are using...they would have laughed. I don't think Bruce had any intention of coming on board. He just wanted to talk to the producers and find out what he could without having to sign a confidentiality agreement. Even if I had asked them to contact him...after telling them all this...they would not have done so. I gave him three months and a ton of emails to decide. He wasn't interested. I am okay with his decision, which like I said was probably made on moral grounds. He could have been offered ten times as much, but he wasn't budging. You have to respect him for that. On the other hand, that doesn't mean I'm just going to enable him to discover what is supposed to be confidential, especially when he was so uncooperative. It could have risked the entire project. 

After all was said and done, I finally gave the producers the full story on Smith, some of his one-liner emails, and told them about his request. They wrote him off right away. I have moved on regarding all that. Bruce made a choice. It was accepted.