twnsnd

Do load your canopy above the recommended wing loading for you license and jump numbers?

After reading the thread on getting grounded for wing loading to high. I am curious about how many of us actually fall within these recommendations. I myself have been above the number since recieving my A license. Thanks

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

I am still a student and weigh less than 230 out the door (good thing, too, for my height and build!) so I'm under .8lb/sf on the standard student gear.

I am about .95lb/sf on the "small" student canopy.

I would be just over 1.1 if (when) I jump the throw-out rental rig to wean myself off the (buttcheek) ripcord. Unless I bought my own stuff by then, whereupon I would be between 1.0 and 1.15 lb/sf.

Note: my numbers are not "scale out the door" numbers, they are "bathroom scale plus gear estimate" numbers, and assume 35 lbs of clothes and gear, which I hope is not an underestimation.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I voted yes. When I bought the canopy I was a bit aggresive in my canopy sizing, but still within recomended norms. I then proceded to put on some weight which makes me even more aggresive to the point that I'm now in the "expert" wingloading on my Stileto, and I don't feel I'm an expert skydiver. I do think its ok because I got to this wingloading gradually, and think I fly ahead of the curve.

I'm at 1.6 with 500+ jumps, so a bit behind most published limits.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Hey there....You and I seem to be the same size and at the same point in our skydiving careers :)
No rush - plenty I can still learn on my comfy 150 and plenty of time to progress to something smaller. Baby steps have worked for me so far and I can STILL say I have fun on every single jump!!!!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

At just under 1.0 wingloading and almost 1000 jumps, I'm way below what most people would think was an acceptable wingloading for my jump numbers. The highest wingloading I've ever jumped was 1.3; had about 300 jumps at the time. put two jumps on it and went back to something that I loaded closer to 1.0.

My reasons for flying such a big canopy at my experience level? I'm previously injured and canopy control and accuracy have never been my strong points. And while I could do most of my job with a broken leg, I don't have medical insurance at the moment.

This is True. There is no need to rush it though. Todays High Performance canopies are very touchy.

I personally made all of my canopy mistakes on something that would not kill me.

There is a reason for the wing loading suggestions.

No one can experience everything within the jump numbers recommended let alone even fewer.

We are starting to have far too many issues under good canopies. Maybe if more places enforced wing loading policies we could save a few injuries or better yet Death's from happening.

It is not a "FREEDOM" issue!!!!! It is a "SAFETY" issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Skies & Soft Landings,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

160 out the door jumping a Safire 139. That means my loading is between 1.15 and 1.24:1, depending who you ask about safire sizes. I have 250 jumps and plan to stick with this canopy for at least another couple hundred. In my case, a slightly heavier loading (from 149's and 150's) greatly improved my landings in all conditions, improved the level of control I have.

Hey Ryan

I voted yes. :)

On my 401st jump, I started flying my Crossfire2 139 loaded a tad less than 1.6:1 and have since made 57 jumps on the canopy and have yet to biff a single landing (knocking incredibly hard on wood right now). According to the wing loading thing-a-ma-bob I saw yestderday, I am 0.1 over the recommended limits. So when you factor in that I have downsized fairly aggresively, but have received formal canopy control training and was a licensed private pilot with over 400 airplane landings prior to becoming a skydiver. I'd say that my calculated risks of learning high performance landings has paid off so far to date. Of course I do not consider myself immune from injury or death and have experienced the corner on more than one occasion. :S

When traffic permits, I am now performing 270 front riser carving hook turns (and loving them) and in fact you have witnessed at least one of my landings a few weeks back at Mile-Hi. ;) But I still need to respect the discipline of swooping and strive to make baby steps with my swooping progression as opposed to looking to join the Pro Swoop Tour next month. :)

Oh, I don't have any plans of downsizing for a while. I will put at least 300 (if not much more) jumps on this canopy and I'd really like to have my 270s nailed, be able to add rear risers and let's not forget being able to consistently perform flared turns before I ever think of moving down to something like a Crossfire2 119 and then way down the road maybe a Velocity 109. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Guess what my "honey" is demoing as we speak (and yes, the winds have calmed tremendously)....a Velocity 103. Of the 7 jumps he's done today - he is loving is lots! Think he'll be calling them his own within the next week.

He also has over 2,000 jumps so his 2:1 wing loading is nothing to him......PLUS he can just about land on a dime with his Stiletto 120 so is not being overly agressive going to a V103.

As for me, I'm just a 1:1 on my Sabre2......and a 135 would put me about 1.2:1 - makes me go hummmmm ;), for sure now and then. Might allow me NOT to come straight down on those windy days [:/]

****deep breath....chill out......Eloy is around the corner....can't spend more money now******:)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Not even close. B license, .91 wing loading. Will change soon, but it'll still only be a 1.02 or so:)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Your Honey is an awesome canopy pilot, I think it's about time he moved up and started flying something a little more appropriate to his skill level...but...it's ONLY a 103? ;>

I've seen you fly too, I think you could handle a 135 and have a blast with it. It wouldn't be a huge change from what you're used to, but it would give you a little more rush.

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Based on the chart that was supplies in that other thread then at 700 jumps, D licence, at 1.8 on my regular canopy. I have jumps that are in the 2.1-2.2 range for the last 200 jumps or so. I hammered in pretty hard once, but that was under a 1.4 wingloading and only 150 jumps. I think the recommendations are only just broad recommendations. WHen your flying a high wing loading know what the hell you are doing, think about it before the jump. Understand how the canopy is going to rect to all inputs. play up high and play it SAFE down low.

nic

Been flying at 1.35 from jump 40 on. Don't plan to change any time soon. While WL BSR's are all well and good, I don't know how you can make it work without being platform specific. Why reinvent the wheel, when you can just follow manufacturers recommendations.

blue skies

jerry

I have 186 jumps and I load up my Hornet 150 at 1.32 which is a tad higher than recomended.
When I got the canopy at about 50 jumps i loaded it at 1.2. Ive put on a few kilos this year.
I plan on staying with thw 150 for about 300 more jumps, then I'll worry about going eliptical, before i worry about down sizing
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

***On my 401st jump, I started flying my Crossfire2 139 loaded a tad less than 1.6:1........strive to make baby steps with my swooping progression as opposed to looking to join the Pro Swoop Tour next mont

Just curious, do you really think doing 270's with only 50 jumps on a new canopy classifies as baby steps.

Hey there - you're right, we seem pretty similar AND my "honey" (well, hubby) also jumps a 120 (Sabre though) regularly and also has a 107 that he jumps on occasion. He is a much better canopy pilot than I am though and the 120 was his first canopy. He bought me a Sabre 150 that we will probably sell now because we're not jumping regularly enough these days for me to even consider downsizing anytime soon.

The first thing we did when we got licensed was to go to Eloy B|.

I'm probably not exactly at the same point in my skydiving career as you are because I only have 200+ jumps in about 5 years of jumping, which is why I'll be sticking with my 170.

Have fun in Eloy!
Rhonda
PP ASEL

i've been jumping (demos and loaners)various [email protected] since jump #200 or so. I'm still flying a 150 (Stiletto now) because i dont feel i've gotten everything out of it yet, when I'm comfortable with it I'll downsize irregardless of the number of jumps it takes for me to feel comfortable..20 or 200

I believe everyone should determine their own limits, if they arent capable of doing so and accepting the risks involved, perhaps they really need another sport in the first place..