twnsnd

Do load your canopy above the recommended wing loading for you license and jump numbers?

Just curious, do you really think doing 270's with only 50 jumps on a new canopy classifies as baby steps.

Probably not. :)

I do know that since I've started doing 270s, my landings have gotten better and I grew up a step on the road to becoming a better canopy pilot. Talk to most swoopers and they'll tell you that 270s are better than 180s and I was stuck doing 180s for the longest time on my previous canopy and the early jumps on the new canopy.

I believe everyone should determine their own limits, if they arent capable of doing so and accepting the risks involved, perhaps they really need another sport in the first place.

Zennster

In this scenario, I do like what Zennster said. :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I do know that since I've started doing 270s, my landings have gotten better and I grew up a step on the road to becoming a better canopy pilot. Talk to most swoopers and they'll tell you that 270s are better than 180s and I was stuck doing 180s for the longest time on my previous canopy and the early jumps on the new canopy.

In this scenario, I do like what Zennster said. :P

The fact that you are having better landings has to do with a lot of things. When you say better what do you mean? Are the landings faster, smoother, more accurate. Better is such a broad word to describe your landings in a textual description.

I also do perfer a 270 landing, nut there is a lot more to it than just rotating 270 degrees. From setup, initial toggle and riser inputs to rotation, changes in harness pressure, traffic avoidance, round out, flare, swoop, carve, skim, gates, etc, ect...

Everyperson does have to evaluate their abilities prior to trying something new and wage the risks involved. Hell I'll do a 360 on landing for kicks somtimes. usually doesnt perform as well as a 270 but has a hightened level of ground rush that can be quite exciting.

nic

from student canopy till now:

jumps 0-50: skymaster 280 (wl 0.75)
50 - 200: pd 9-cell 210 (wl 1.0)
200 - 250: atair impulse-alpha 135 (wl 1.55)
250 - 470: atair cobalt competition 120 (wl 1.75)

Now what are the recomendations again :P

They are different in every country, and at my dz, we almost don't have the recommendation. actually impulse 135 (1.5 wl) was recomended for me at 200 jumps from the guy who was suposed to be the most experienced at the dz. I don't know whether he was right or wrong. I'm still alive and had to really dig out of the corner once. and really reconsidered my ability of HP landings..
But i'd never recomend me that canopy at 200 jumps...

But i guess i'm way above recomendations since my 200th jump... :|
"George just lucky i guess!"

I agree with you but I would add that it is good to go with the general consensus of the more experienced canopy pilots at the dz. If they are comfortable with your ability level, then go with it. But if you are constantly catching flack about your landings, and are hearing experienced people say that you scared them, you should probably rethink what you are doing.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

Actually the better pilot would have been able to get the proformance out of the larger canopy and would have learned things like the 270's, ground craves, CRW, and about 500 other things before they would have maxed out the proformance on their larger canopy. Its a crutch for a lot of jumpers to downsize then claim they are better pilots since they can swoop further. The better pilot is not the one that swoops the furthest, its the one that knows wen to swoop and when not to, plus has the skill to mix it up all the time. The better pilot would have added as many arrows to their skill quiver as possible before using them all in a downsize.

A very wise test jumper once told me that you don't really start to learn a canopy till you jump it at least 100 times. Then you only scratch the proformance that its capable of doing and can usually spend another 500 jumps learning the entire range.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Who said my swoop distance improved because I downsized? I sure didn't say that. My swoop distance improved because I changed my approach. Plus who said that I insisted on swooping on every landing? I've aborted my share of swoops.

But I do agree with much of what you say about learning to max out your canopy before downsizing. I may have been guilty of downsizing previous canopies without maxing them out. But I don't plan on doing that with my current canopy. I'm going to be playing with my canopy for a long while (heck I really like my canopy, so why would I want to change it?).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm on the edge! I'm between the weight limits back and forth! Okay, If I do it lagit, I'm okay, but if I eat for a week, i'm over! (Actually, if I add my new winter wear i"m over) So I guess I can't answer today! Trust your limits!!!! Over the limit, in my opinion, depends on the mental comprehension of the jumper and the canopy. I already F@*#ked up and don't want to hear about anyone else doing the same. I know, it probably already happened. Listen to your elders!!!!!

Don't tell me I can't! I already know that! Haven't you seen my x-rays?

I used to load my wing too heavy - I went straight to a 1.2-1.3 or wing loading on a Spectre 150 right off student status. (Around 25 jumps) I'm over 230 jumps now. I do not endorse anyone to do as I did.

Edited to add:

I plan on jumping this canopy for one more season. It will go in for new lines this winter, and then (funds providing) I'll be in the market for a complete NEW rig next winter. I'll probably be going for a Sabre2 at the same wing loading. I don't see myself getting any more aggressive with my wing loading than I am now.

Easy Does It

I totally agree with you on this downsizing issue. I also believe that there are people out there such as myself that would rather leave the sport than put 500 jumps on a boring canopy.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

I might be 1.1-1.2.Not so much the loading as how you fly your parachute.I,ve seen and heard most of the horror stories first hand!Sooner or later even the best make mistakes.I myself have had 4 close calls on hookturns.That,s why I "Do not do them anymore".I try to follow(all the time now) a standard "L" landing pattern by entering at a grand,fly till 500ft(turn 90),fly to 100ft(turn 90 again)(final approach to landing).Everybody knows this is how I,m gonna fly my parachute from 1000ft till landing.WHAT DO YOU DO?

I avoid other traffic like the plague. I do this by doing 3.5K hop & Pops, pulling at the top, or doing pre-planned high pulls at say 6K. In my last 100 jumps only 20 have involved freefall.