packing_jarrett

Whats the coolest aircraft to jump out of?

C182 after the engine just died and the pilot told us to get out NOW
-------------------------------------------------------
Atleast the one you were got high enough to get out from.

Yup, and i thank god for that. But looking back it was one hell of an adrenaline rush, and makes for a no shit there i was story.:P

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Stretch C-130 (especially when they pressurize) is an experience. C-123BK is pretty cool - massive tailgate, although also the loudest aircraft in existence. The B-17 jump I did was one of the most fun jumps I ever did, but that was more due to the scenery than the aircraft itself. (I sat on the edge of the navigator's window and also watched the preparations for a nude jump from the bomb bay.)

# 1 would have to be a Balloon that was awesome.

But as a regular jump plane the Otter I love that thing specially if it has straddle sitting and not side by side.
Love the porter too. Fuck I even like the Cessna 182. I have jumped from 9 planes and I have to say I have liked them all man they are all different.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

"Oh I forgot the An-2 which is quite nice to jump a couple of times,"

More of a novelty than fun, be sure to take good book for the climb.
In fact you'd be faster climbing a ladder.

But they do sound great, and take off at really low speed , well, its just wierd.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"Oh I forgot the An-2 which is quite nice to jump a couple of times,"

More of a novelty than fun, be sure to take good book for the climb.
In fact you'd be faster climbing a ladder.

But they do sound great, and take off at really low speed , well, its just wierd.B|

My friend said he saw one at an airshow stationary flying into a 30knt wind!!!

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

"My friend said he saw one at an airshow stationary flying into a 30knt wind!!!"

I can believe that, the one I jumped a few years back at the now defunct Paraclan, seemed to me to be airborne at around 30 MPH.:)Its a really strange sensation.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

The CH-54 Skycrane will beat an F-14 to 10,000 feet. I have hundreds of jumps out of "The Alabama Fun Machine" courtesy of the 20th SFG parachute team. My cousin Jaybird, "Pajarito" on here, chopped a malfunction at around 2,000 feet at night, right over the top of Legion Field when we put 14 people into the All American Bowl out of one. Yes, I have video. Man, those were the days.

Chuck

[replyI can believe that, the one I jumped a few years back at the now defunct Paraclan, seemed to me to be airborne at around 30 MPH.:)Its a really strange sensation.

The Ju-52 flies even slower I think... was 20minutes to 3000ft... Take off speed is impressively slow...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The CH-54 Skycrane will beat an F-14 to 10,000 feet. I have hundreds of jumps out of "The Alabama Fun Machine" courtesy of the 20th SFG parachute team. My cousin Jaybird, "Pajarito" on here, chopped a malfunction at around 2,000 feet at night, right over the top of Legion Field when we put 14 people into the All American Bowl out of one. Yes, I have video. Man, those were the days.

Chuck

I've been meaning for 15 years to get a copy of that video. I also want all that footage from Rayford in the 89-90 timeframe. If I sent you a couple of tapes, will you copy it for me?

What a fu#$ing hairy jump that was. Very high winds (pushing the limit), had to practically back into the stadium most of the way, night, chem-lights on 14 other guys in the air too, all of the city lights with the stadium lit up light one big flashlight, ABSOLUTELY NO "outs" given that the parking lots were full and power lines literally everywhere, you and I with a full 7 second delay from 4,000ft (offset due to the winds) from the CH-54 Skycrane, I get what starts out as a bag-lock malfunction, chop it, fly a Golden Knight colored reserve into Legion Field, and land on the 40 yard line. Chuck still up in the air yelling for "Jaybird?!!", "Jaybird?!!", "Where the fuck are you?!!" What a hoot and one hellava first time malfunction. Trial by fire, I say. Needed several beers after that one. What a cool ride, though! Nothing like sitting with your feet dangling over the edge of the open box at the rear of the 54 over Birmingham in the cool night air (with all of your buds). B|

Edited to add: Those were the days. It will NEVER be that good again. We would get one and sometimes two Army helicopters per month (many times twice per month) for "proficiency team training" (i.e. Jump your ass off for free and party like a rockstar! B|). The helicopters would come either to Buddy's (Chuck's Dad and my Uncle) Grass strip or would just land in his front yard (which was a surveyed and approved LZ) to pick us up. We'd jump into both. Either at the strip or by his pool (which is by the cooler full of beer). The helicopters were so fast we'd most days come with multiple rigs lined up on the ground so as to make every lift. We'd pack when they had to go refuel. These were the old "Vietnam" era pilots who are gone now (pretty much the last of the breed with any balls) and they'd let us climb all over their helicopters (UH-60 Blackhawks, CH-47 Chinooks, CH-54 Skycranes, and UH-1 Hueys) up at altitude. We'd smear ourselves on the windshield of the UH-1's, make funny faces at the pilot, shoot him a bird, and fall off. At the end of the day, the helicopter pilots would sometimes buzz the field with one of their guy's asses hanging out the window to "moon" us on the ground. Then it was off to Buddy's house to get hammered before going out that night. We'd make it back in sometime the next morning and crash on his den floor b/c we were way too drunk to drive home. Get up "early" the next day to beat the helicopters to the field and do it all over again. "Go Army!!!"

I jumped the B-17 used to film the "Memphis Belle" movie, owned by restauranteur David Tallichet. I exited from the bomb bay (left side), facing aft. When it comes to aircraft, that was my favorite.

Shoot, RIDING in that airplane was a blast (from the past). Worth it, for sure.
Arrive Safely

John