ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

Ha! We're all posting and not jumping?

When the weather is good, I'm averaging 20 jumps a week at a 182 DZ.

Staying blind to the facts about the management/owners and simply lobbing insults doesn't solve a problem.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Let me tell you about my experience with Skyride. They originally contacted me about a year ago asking if I would be interested in taking business that they would send me. At that time my response was, “I’m in the phone book, I have a web site, anyone in my area will find me if they are interested in skydiving. No thank you. Bye”.
In May of this year my wife takes a phone call form Skyride, “we have 5 tandems we would like to schedule with you”. Long story short, I did the tandems. I agreed to a price that was $10 less than my normal price. Since that time we have done just over 30 tandems referred form Skyride, we do about 200 tandems a year so that represented %15 of my student traffic for the year. I was correct in my original conversation with Skyride; anyone in my area that wanted to skydive did find me did directly. Every one of the 30+ tandems with the exception of 2, they sent me were form over 100 miles away, some coming form as far as 250 miles. This is Kansas, and the drop zones for the most part are spread out enough that we really don’t compete directly, that said most of these tandem customers were driving by another drop zone, or there was at least another DZ a lot closer. They recently put up a web site kansasskydiving.com, and within the site in several places used “Skydive Kansas”, which isn’t me but a friend of mine, so that was the last straw. If you’ve read this thread you are aware of the rest of the reasons so I won’t even go into the “list”.
Again, long story short, I made a call this morning and I’m sure you will all be glad to know that Kansas is now once again a “Skyride free state”!
It’s interesting, apparently Cary is very good at a lot of things including teaching people how to lie, act dumb, etc (I would like to read the “Skyride Mission Statement”, It could be extremely short something like “Get the fucking money, whatever it takes! The end justifies the means! Just get the FUCKING MONEY!”). I talked to my “Director of Center Procurement” she asked “Why…”, “I said that surely I didn’t need to list reasons that surely you are aware of the many reasons why I would like to dissociate my business with Skyride”. “Nope, not a clue why a drop zone wouldn’t want to deal with Skyride” so I told her that they consistently engage in immoral and illegal business practices, and that I didn’t want to be a part of it anymore. To this she wanted examples, so I gave her a few. Then she suggested that they could offer me more money. I told here that money wasn’t the issue and that if they paid me $200 a tandem it wouldn’t matter.

Martin Myrtle
Air Capital Drop Zone
Wichita Kansas
Skyride Free once again!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Hi

""It’s interesting, apparently Cary is very good at a lot of things including teaching people how to lie, act dumb, etc (I would like to read the “Skyride Mission Statement”, It could be extremely short something like “Get the fucking money, whatever it takes! The end justifies the means! Just get the FUCKING MONEY!”).""

I think that mission statement was stolen from another boiler room operation also.

250 mile drice each way on a hot summer kansas day watching the wheat fields passing by the car window for a SKYRIDE:S.

R.I.P.

They recently put up a web site kansasskydiving.com

Great looking site though ... hey ... wait a sec!

Those f***ers>:(

Glad to see you can keep your sense of humor Tim, now if they'd done that to my site I'd (uh oh, here come slotperfect);)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Seems we also made a thread over as ASC's forums too...:S Koolaid is a good thing sometimes... http://www.ascskydiving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=102&highlight=skyride

Yep...I posted an explanation of why people are having a problem with their business pratices and guess what...it was deleted within 30 minutes of the post....

Censorship - alive and well at ASC.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

"Those who hate you can't win unless you hate them. Then you destroy yourself" - Nixon
(and he would know) I've gotta laugh.

Have you noticed that the ASC site says nothing to defend Skyride or Ben and Cary? All they talk about is how we won't listen to them about ASC. I thought we were discussing Skyride and it's owners here. I don't want to hear about how nice a DZ ASC is, it's not the issue.

Well there is an old saying "If you can't pound the facts, pound the table" and there is a lot of noise over there.

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Martin Myrtle
Air Capital Drop Zone
Wichita Kansas
Skyride Free once again!

hey thats great news. just to let you know, Kansas State University Parachute Club was approached by skyride and we told em no. The club officers decided that we would not take skyride anytime in the future either.
You know of any kansas DZ's that take em? lets see if we can't make the entire state skyride free.

MB 3528, RB 1182

this was posted on ASC's forum by jumper007. Figured I'd cross post it here so there'd be a record:

People on DZ.com are not doggin anyone that is defending the fun or the people at your dropzone. That is NOT the issue here. Theft, stealing and bait/switch practices are the issue. Theft of pictures, full web sites and trademarked names is the issue. Can you honestly come up with one good reason on why you should support a person that does that? Can you come up with a good reason on why a jumper should steal from another jumper? This has been going on for YEARS now and there have been cease/decist orders, certified letters, phone calls, and emails demanding the immediate return of stolen materials. Several lawsuits are now in the making and will be filed soon against Skyride and the owners. Recent court decisions have already shown that it will be an open/shut case. Why hasn't a lawsuit happened yet? Well, jumpers were hoping there would be a mutual respect within this industry - but there has been none coming from the owners of Skyride. Since the jumpers that are the victims of this theft do not have as much money as Cary, they needed to save up and pool together funds. Once that was done, information needed to be gathered. Now it is all in motion.

Trying to argue for this theft would be like trying to argue AGAINST having a stolen gear database!! What sucks is that we need to have a stolen gear database - that there are those in this sport that can't be trusted around other people's property. As it turns out, Skyride is part of that crowd that cannot be trusted. Would you defend the person that stole your rig repeatedly??? Can you come up with good reasons to defend that behavior? If you can, then you would find a way to shut up all of us that are tired of seeing what Skyride is doing to other jumpers. I'd be curious to see if anyone, at any dropzone could defend that.

The owners of Skyride have pissed off a lot of people with their repeated, illegal offenses. Those at ASC may want to believe it is directed towards them, but it isn't. Don't confuse the issue here - this is about theft, not about a dropzone.

This one is sure to be deleted!

Quite the one sided aurgument going on over there. An ASC lovefest if you will.

ASC and it's jumpers have nothing to do with the aurguments against skyride. If the vibes are good, jump your brains out.

Now as for Mikes comment about skyride "advertising heavily" That is an equivocation of the truth. Skyride aggressively floods the internet with fake DZ websites. The "participating centres" inturn get the customers that would have found them anyway.

Skyride would be justified if they were broadening the reach and scope of advertising mediums already being explored. They nudge out legit sites and sell the DZs thier own customers back to them.
They also have not realized any new mediums or markets, they leach of already established client streams, and in ND they leach off of radio, grassroots marketing and reputation we worked hard to acheive. And all they had to do was cut and paste my site and code. It took no effort to reap the benifits of our hard work.

THAT is what makes them paracites.

ASC may be the greatest DZ on the planet where joy shoots out your ass everytime you jump. That has nothing to do with the fact that skyride is a paracytic entity.

Now if any of you who defend ASC(of what I don't know why, they don't even enter in to this) can prove to me that Skyride was justified in stealing my website(and we are talking about pure theft here), I will buy you a brand new set of gear.

Safe bet huh?

>:(
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

This was the response on ASC's site:

1800Skyride sells gift certificates for skydiving, along with other things such as Hot Air Balloon rides, glider rides, etc. The company markets itself nationally and those people that buy the certificates make a skydive at one of its participating centers. So the customer buys a certificate and then redeems it for a skydive. 1800Skyride advertises heavily and in return gets a lot of business...and in turn so do the participating centers. There is nothing wrong with that.

Your post was not deleted, but I will remove posts that are incorrect or attack the dropzone, associated businesses or jumpers.

Cheers,

Mike

It deleted ALL references to the copyright problems and bogus dropzones. I couldn't find the post you mentioned in its entirety, just a fragment.

I hope dozens of state Attorneys General come down on them like a ton of bricks.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"hey thats great news. just to let you know, Kansas State University Parachute Club was approached by skyride and we told em no. The club officers decided that we would not take skyride anytime in the future either.
You know of any kansas DZ's that take em? lets see if we can't make the entire state skyride free."

I know that Jen Sharp (Skydive Kansas does not). I'm fairly sure that Skydive Wichita does not. That only leaves Supesville, I'm fairly sure Milton would tell them where to take their "ride".
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

this was posted on ASC's forum by jumper007. Figured I'd cross post it here so there'd be a record:

People on DZ.com are not doggin anyone that is defending the fun or the people at your dropzone. That is NOT the issue here. Theft, stealing and bait/switch practices are the issue. Theft of pictures, full web sites and trademarked names is the issue. Can you honestly come up with one good reason on why you should support a person that does that? Can you come up with a good reason on why a jumper should steal from another jumper? This has been going on for YEARS now and there have been cease/decist orders, certified letters, phone calls, and emails demanding the immediate return of stolen materials. Several lawsuits are now in the making and will be filed soon against Skyride and the owners. Recent court decisions have already shown that it will be an open/shut case. Why hasn't a lawsuit happened yet? Well, jumpers were hoping there would be a mutual respect within this industry - but there has been none coming from the owners of Skyride. Since the jumpers that are the victims of this theft do not have as much money as Cary, they needed to save up and pool together funds. Once that was done, information needed to be gathered. Now it is all in motion.

Trying to argue for this theft would be like trying to argue AGAINST having a stolen gear database!! What sucks is that we need to have a stolen gear database - that there are those in this sport that can't be trusted around other people's property. As it turns out, Skyride is part of that crowd that cannot be trusted. Would you defend the person that stole your rig repeatedly??? Can you come up with good reasons to defend that behavior? If you can, then you would find a way to shut up all of us that are tired of seeing what Skyride is doing to other jumpers. I'd be curious to see if anyone, at any dropzone could defend that.

The owners of Skyride have pissed off a lot of people with their repeated, illegal offenses. Those at ASC may want to believe it is directed towards them, but it isn't. Don't confuse the issue here - this is about theft, not about a dropzone.

This one is sure to be deleted!

That post was deleted in the ASC discussion fourm, I couldn't find it and the topic was "locked"
I started a new topic and reposted it. Mike will delete it again, but we can at least be a pest.

AC DZ

but we can at least be a pest.

If you want to post the truth in a factual objective manner on their forum, that is the way to go. I would encourage you not to "be a pest" in their forum on purpose, since it will doubtless result in a melee over here (and more work for me in an already very busy thread).

Thanks!
Arrive Safely

John

I appreciate the extra work you've given me.;) Of course it will be deleted.

Mike

Mike-
Since you're in the play with the management of Skyride, and with respect to the rest of the skydiving industry, can you post a plan of action that Skyride intends on taking to resolve the issues regarding the Adventure Skydiving site.
-----
~~~Michael

That post was deleted in the ASC discussion fourm, I couldn't find it and the topic was "locked"
I started a new topic and reposted it. Mike will delete it again, but we can at least be a pest.

Don't be a pest as that really doesn't accomplish much - and if no one wants to respond, they won't. I went back after reading your original post over there and copy/pasted as I figured it would get toasted. All valid arguments, unfortunately ASC is only guilty by association and reaps the bene's of Skyride. But, since they brought the topic up on their forums, I'd consider it fair game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate the extra work you've given me. Of course it will be deleted.

Mike

You have won my vote, until now I would have called you a nuetral. Now you have joined the fray! I will instruct all of my students to stay clear of chutingstar rigging services in the future. You simply can't be trusted.

It deleted ALL references to the copyright problems and bogus dropzones. I couldn't find the post you mentioned in its entirety, just a fragment.

Well they didn't delete the pictures which are certainly not from a 1-800-skykride DZ... Pics 4, 6, 7, 11... At least... these are european pics, 11 is of a french Twin Otter...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

If everyone refused to do business with anyone supporting or doing business with skyride they would go away!

I agree 100%. Now we need everyone to commit and follow through.Please do not spend any of your MONEY with Ben, Cary or other associates.

We could send an e-mail to all the DZO's around the country informing them, too.

We need more action, now!

Chris Welker

I appreciate the extra work you've given me.;) Of course it will be deleted.

Mike

I guess the truth does hurt? Never mind adressing the facts.

AC DZ