ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

How about contacting any investigative reporters in your areas.That could get interesting.

there is no reason to involve the media. all of us know here that the media will spin it in ways you dont want.

"1-800-skyride chute failed to open""5000 people dead" news at 11:00..

Mark Shimell was the first AFF student to graduate at ASC....and is still a spaz to this day.

yes i was. also was the first home grown aff instructor. i owe alot to asc and the talent that taught me. mostly "hans paulson" at skydive the farm now. but i do owe alot to cary and ben also. but i feel that ive repaid most those dues. hans continues to support ME. so i continue to support HIM.

honestly.i would still be at atlanta skydiving center if hans didnt go off on his own. i feel i owe more to him in the skydiving world than anyone. and if any of you know hans, really know him. then you would know what im talking about.

i will still %100 send mike at chuting star, all my rigging work. and i will even send my students to him if they ask me who i use."providing he doesnt solicit them making me look like an ass" wich he wont because we have that understanding. the work done and the customer service at chuting starr is top notch.

Unfortunately, due to your association, you're gonna get drug into this.

Unfortunately when Mike said that Ben and Jerry (feeble humor attempt alert) weren't parasites and were just guilty of "aggressive marketing" he kinda dragged himself into it. I can quite happily say that the people behind 1-800-Skyride are thieves. I'll even emphasise it - THE PEOPLE BEHIND 1-800-SKYRIDE ARE THIEVES - they have stolen intellectual property (Tim's website), they have stolen photographers images and been told about it, they are guilty of advertising TOTALLY misleading websites for centers that DO NOT EXIST (I don't want to give them a link but check out newyorkskydiving.com) - now - If I'M WRONG or MALIGNING THEM _ SUE ME! They are thieves, so Mike, if you truly believe this is just aggressive marketing,

Unnecessary pointed comments removed by slotperfect.
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Let's try to get this back on topic to Skyride

Let's get this back on topic.

Many DZOs have said that they reason they use or used SkyRide was because they 'get business they would not otherwise get'.

Is this a valid claim??

Background Reading:
2001 2003

Look at the reasons DZOs may think this way:

1. a SkyRide DZ shows up in search results before their DZ
2. Sponsored links have SkyRide links before theirs

Why would a virtual DZ web site appear in the search rankings or gain the appeal from a whuffo before a real DZ?

Some possible reasons:
- real DZ web site is not search engine friendly
- real DZ web site is not submitted to search engines
- real DZ web site is not linked from other web sites
- real DZ web site does not put major city names on their pages
- real DZ web site does not use Whuffo keywords (ie use 'first jump' or 'first skydive' vs 'student jumps')
- real DZ owners do not buy sponsored links

Some tactics used by real DZs to circumvent these deficiencies:
- Multiple domain names
----aliased to same web site
----aliased to same web site but with a different top level page
-Hidden Costs
-Content Linking Spam
-Consumer Alert

I should give examples, but I'll hold off on that right now.

What I am trying to convey is that real DZOs do play a part in SkyRide's success, even if they do not accept their certificates, because they are not creating web sites that reach their target market effectively.

[reply What I am trying to convey is that real DZOs do play a part in SkyRide's success, even if they do not accept their certificates, because they are not creating web sites that reach their target market effectively.

Why should they have to be proactive about combating websites created by fellow skydivers who want to steal the food from their table????? You can be a great dzo and not web-savvy like Ben and Jerry, so you should have to learn google masterclasses and theft 101 just to be an honest business man? Sorry slotperfect I stand by my original assertion (but I won't repeat it)........
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Why should they have to be proactive about combating websites created by fellow skydivers who want to steal the food from their table????? You can be a great dzo and not web-savvy like Ben and Jerry, so you should have to learn google masterclasses and theft 101 just to be an honest business man?

What I am saying is that some real DZs would not come up on a search on 'Skydive MyCity' even if SkyRide was not there because they do not have search engine friendly web sites. Since SkyRide is out there with those city names, it is important to at least have a web site that would come up in the basic search results. The theft issues can be taken to the proper places, but not many are willing to do that for whatever reason(s). Content Linking Spam is also considered by some as theft and is most always considered as a usability stopper.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Why should they have to be proactive about combating websites created by fellow skydivers who want to steal the food from their table????? You can be a great dzo and not web-savvy like Ben and Jerry, so you should have to learn google masterclasses and theft 101 just to be an honest business man?

What I am saying is that some real DZs would not come up on a search on 'Skydive MyCity' even if SkyRide was not there because they do not have search engine friendly web sites. Since SkyRide is out there with those city names, it is important to at least have a web site that would come up in the basic search results. The theft issues can be taken to the proper places, but not many are willing to do that for whatever reason(s). Content Linking Spam is also considered by some as theft and is most always considered as a usability stopper.

Nothing you've written justifies deceptive practices and advertizing drop zones that don't actually exist.

Place the blame where it belongs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Dropzones need to stop honoring their certificates. Many dropzones buy into their bullshit

I was watching something on the Travel Channel this past weekend and they were doing a story on a CONCIERGE Service.(notice the 1st 3 letters of CON-cierge) They would arrange just about anything for extreme adventure seekers. The cost of their services provided were 5%-10% added to the cost of the adventure, not bad. I think these type of services are GREAT.

At my home dz they charge $175 for the tandem and $75 for vid/stills or $250 total.If a concierge service called and said "we are going to send you a customer to do a tandem skydive, and they have be instructed to pay you $277.78.( which is 250x1.1111 and generates a TRUE 10% gross profit) Would you PLEASE take good care of them and send us our $27.78 fee to this address?" I am not a dzo, but this deal sounds good to me for all persons concerned.( as long as deception wasn't used)

DZO's and everyone involved with this sport need to realize that we are in a niche market of extreme sports. Our #'s are VERY SMALL when you start looking at the BIG PICTURE. (approx. 32,000 USPA members)

Everyone needs to take actions against those that seek to CANNIBALIZE and destroy our sport.Ben and Cary should be held responsible for what they have done so far by revoking their personnel and group uspa memberships.

Chris Welker

"At the same time, since Sandor seems so ready to tout his bad experience with ASC, I would like to share numerous bad experiences with Sandor's Georgia Skydiving Center over the past two years...and I am hard pressed to feel comfortable sending anyone there to skydive. This includes skydives sold as Accelerated Freefall student training jumps done with unrated skydivers. We've had several such instances where we had to help the unsuspecting skydiver through REAL AFF jumps later on after making numerous illegal AFF jumps in Rome."

Now I'm going to let the public in on this one, hope your ready because you opened the can of worms.

After the demise of Atlanta Airsportz it was discovered that many finical obligations were not meet on the part of outstanding rents, fuel, aircraft payments, and gear sales. I in an effort to keep a skydiving center active in Rome approached the airport with an offer to establish Georgia Skydiving Center, Inc. As a soul owner I knew the accounts could be managed and payments made to all venders with a guarantee of "cash on the barrel head" to rebuild the attitude toward skydiving clubs in general after the last 2 failing and exiting the airport in arrears. We suffered through a long 12 months without approval of a clubhouse and amenities that make a center a home. Rome was alive, but barely had a pulse due to the conduct of previous businesses. The airport was quite frankly wanting to shut out skydiving all together and looking for any reason to do it.

In late September not long after an airport council meeting that Cary Q. had attended, where I confronted him on the issue of using a website bearing the name of my incorporated business name I received a certified letter from the airport manager. It said that all jumping activities were to stop due to a report from an anonymous source that "I while intoxicated was conducting jump training, and allowing others to do the same."

This resulted in a lose of 3 weeks worth of jumping and jeopardized the future of jumping in Rome forever. I responded with legal action against the county and airport. Though the airport did not reveal the "unnamed source" I feel I know to what extent some will go now to gain their market share no matter how small the competition. If they had named the source, trust that a suite would have been pressed there too. My intense response to this allegation of drinking and jumping was what some would call over zealous. I have not touched alcohol since 1995 and take my sobriety more serious than some would their religion. Due to the required steps I was forced and willing to take in this matter. I was not only allowed to proceed with jump activities again, but was given a 25 year lease at the best rate any center has ever been given in the history of the airport. An apology was delivered to me by the commission, and the chairman of the commission was denied his nomination for a 2nd term by the county. From that point on we have been allowed to enjoy our little center in peace.

Mike I consider all you guys friends from way back, and I feel people like you make our sport what it needs to be. I hope this issue about the proliferation and deceptive tactics do get rectified, but trust in the fact that one little guy can make a difference and will step up if pushed far enough.

jumpervali

What can we do about Skyride

Contact YOUR USPA representative and tell them you want a code of ethics put on the agenda and adopted at the next meeting.
B2

they also need to adopt a rule that says they won't have any 'secret' votes. I personally think it's funny that before they awarded the nationals at one point, it went into closed session and first passed a motion that the votes would be secret. Give me a break - have balls (ladies have whatever you want) or nothing at all and step away from USPA.
-----
~~~Michael

Yes tere are... like filing lots of lawsuits against Skyride.

There's that...or you could dramatically announce you're quittin the sport, only to come back a few months later and dramatically announce your return....

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

There's that...or you could dramatically announce you're quittin the sport, only to come back a few months later and dramatically announce your return....

Well, it is winter time pretty much now and he won't miss much if he does that...
-----
~~~Michael

Yes tere are... like filing lots of lawsuits against Skyride.

Bwahahahahahahahah greatness

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Hey Mike,

Sorry for just now getting back to you. I don't doubt that ASC does great things for it's jumpers. My problem is with ASC's business ethics. I'm amazed that you can justify the taking down of signs and the placement of those bumber stickers on another competitor's gate and clubhouse. In politics taking down another candidates signs is frowned upon. Does not placing bumber stickers on your competitor's gate and clubhouse seem like a stick in the eye? And how about the issue with your manifest and phone operators claiming to be the DZ in Rome, GA over the phone in an attempt to solicit a credit card charge from another DZ's customers? If you are the staff manager then ultimately you are to blame. Your allegations about Sandor Vali aren't relevant. That good DZ, bad DZ stuff goes on everywhere. What worries me about this whole thing is Cary opening up more ASC affiliated DZ's. He endorses unethical and criminal business practices. I don't want the problems going on in Georgia coming to our backyard.

edit: rephrase something

Hey Levin,

I don't agree with the stickers and signs on a competitors gate...that's not cool, if that happened, and I hope it never does again. All it does is get everyone mad...and absolutely doesn't help as far as advertising.

As for the phone call with "Mr. Sparks," again, I hope that was resolved and will not happen again.

I understand your concerns...and we'll agree to disagree on some of your characterizations and allegations.

Again, there are a LOT of good things going on with ASC, Skyride, etc. And there are other things that I hope are improved or corrected. For the things that I have any bit of say-so or control over, I am working to make even better. If you want to focus blame on me, that's fine. I'll do what I can while operating a rigging loft, managing the staff and helping out all of our first-time and exprienced jumpers.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Hey Levin,

I don't agree with the stickers and signs on a competitors gate...that's not cool, if that happened, and I hope it never does again. All it does is get everyone mad...and absolutely doesn't help as far as advertising.

As for the phone call with "Mr. Sparks," again, I hope that was resolved and will not happen again.

I understand your concerns...and we'll agree to disagree on some of your characterizations and allegations.

Again, there are a LOT of good things going on with ASC, Skyride, etc. And there are other things that I hope are improved or corrected. For the things that I have any bit of say-so or control over, I am working to make even better. If you want to focus blame on me, that's fine. I'll do what I can while operating a rigging loft, managing the staff and helping out all of our first-time and exprienced jumpers.

Mike

Explain how aggressively promoting non-existent DZs and blatantly false advertizing is something that can be improved or corrected. It should cease.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.