ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

Yep you guys all know more because you have been reading this thread and jumping longer than I have. I knew that was on the way!

The point I was making is that if an ASC jumper with lower jump numbers such as myself posts on this thread and gets flamed do you think he/she will be supportive of your cause in the future?

I think you mean most everyone on this thread hates ASC. That is not exactly everyone. I was there (at ASC) Saturday. I wasn't the only jumper there. In fact I think we flew something like 18 otter loads Saturday. So I guess not everyone hates ASC...

I don't have to convince myself that it is OK. I have never had a problem with ASC or the management. I have never even seen Cary Q. The only knowledge I have of any wrong doing are the accusations on this thread. I came here to educate myself on this subject and I can tell this is very emotional for a lot of you.

I will continue to jump at ASC. If everyone here thinks I am a bad person for that then I will try not to stay up at night worring about what you think of me. I also shop at Walmart, buy Microsoft products and drive a truck that gets 14 miles per gallon:ph34r:

The point I was making is that if an ASC jumper with lower jump numbers such as myself posts on this thread and gets flamed do you think he/she will be supportive of your cause in the future?

I haven't seen you flamed in this thread. I've seen people trying to convience you to open your eyes and quite blindly supporting something that you haven't learned about yet.

But believe what you want to believe. It is up to you.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yep you guys all know more because you have been reading this thread and jumping longer than I have. I knew that was on the way!

Young grasshopper...with experience comes knowledge...with knowledge, experience.

There are some people on here who are very passionate about this subject. The trick for you now is to keep your eyes and ears open. They obviously are otherwise you wouldn't be here. There are allegations being made here as to what the business practices are. Most think they are unethical. By your responses, I don't think that you agree with them...yet. Your job from here on out is to just listen in at the DZ and see if you're in tune with what is really going on there. Call the skyride number yourself and play 'dumb'. Ask about jumping somewhere that skyride is not associated with and see their business tactics. Blindly defending something (as well as blindly attacking) are very dangerous things. We're not lemmings being led to the cliff, but we've chosen to educate ourselves on what is going on.
What you do from here is your choice...chose wisely.
-----
~~~Michael

I have never had a problem with ASC or the management. I have never even seen Cary Q.

Same here. What's your point? Just cause Cary doesn't come around kicking ASC jumpers in the balls doesn't make SkyRide ok. And earlier you said you didn't think there'd be any lawsuits because they're too expensive. EXACTLY why there haven't been any yet! But so what?? Since nobody has put up the money to sue makes SkyRide ok?

The purpose of this thread is to educate people on what is going on. Consider yourself educated, assuming you read the whole thread. I really don't care if you continue to jump there. It can be a real pain in the ass to have to switch DZs. Ya know, adding an hour to the drive every weekend, etc. Oh wait, you've got another DZ right in the same town. How convenient.

You need to understand that it's not the ASC jumpers people have a problem with. Sure, it'd be nice if one day everyone refused to get on an ASC plane until they shut down skyride. But ya know what? ASC probably doesn't need fun jumpers any more than Skydive Las Vegas.

I'm sure ASC is an awesome dropzone. Way more stuff going on than where I jump. More loads, more jumpers, etc. Great calendar planned for 2005 too. Sounds like paradise. I can understand why so many people want to jump there. Not to even mention a great staff, gear store on site I think, great riggers, etc. It's EASY to make an argument why you'd want to jump there. The hard part is to acknowledge that ASC is run by scammers. You're educated now. You know that. Do you dispute the fact that SkyRide is a scam?

What's wrong with not agreeing with how your DZ does business? You should feel welcome, if not obligated, to walk up to your DZO and tell him how much you love ASC but that you really don't agree with his business tactics and you'd really prefer if he changed the way he does business.

BTW, how many other DZs have you been to, for comparison?

Dave

I think you mean most everyone on this thread hates ASC. That is not exactly everyone. I was there (at ASC) Saturday. I wasn't the only jumper there. In fact I think we flew something like 18 otter loads Saturday. So I guess not everyone hates ASC...

I don't have to convince myself that it is OK. I have never had a problem with ASC or the management. I have never even seen Cary Q. The only knowledge I have of any wrong doing are the accusations on this thread. I came here to educate myself on this subject and I can tell this is very emotional for a lot of you.

I will continue to jump at ASC. If everyone here thinks I am a bad person for that then I will try not to stay up at night worring about what you think of me. I also shop at Walmart, buy Microsoft products and drive a truck that gets 14 miles per gallon:ph34r:

if you were at asc 7x longer than you have been now, i still would have been there longer than you.

i partied with cary this weekend, even talked a little about this thread.. that doesnt make anything right though.

***I'm sure ASC is an awesome dropzone. Way more stuff going on than where I jump. More loads, more jumpers, etc. Great calendar planned for 2005 too. Sounds like paradise. I can understand why so many people want to jump there. Not to even mention a great staff, gear store on site I think, great riggers, etc. It's EASY to make an argument why you'd want to jump there. The hard part is to acknowledge that ASC is run by scammers. You're educated now. You know that. Do you dispute the fact that SkyRide is a scam?

To add to Kingmann's education, Ben and Cary have built up their empire largely by Skyride's illegal and unethical practices. They have built up their empire by stomping on every other DZ's hard-earned livelihood. I am not going to support blood-sucking leeches.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's not personal.

I'm showing example as to what would be viewed as condoning Skyride's practices. Its important. I'm trying to give example for some low time jumpers who are blinded by their home DZ to facts.

All of that is important and very much on topic for this thread.

JRock merely posed a question.
I have a question of my own...of the people posting here...
Does your drop zone accept skyride certificates?
Mine does not.

My DZ does accept the Skyride Certificates. I have asked that the DZO and his wife read this thread and educate themselves on the Skyride situation. They have done so, but continue to accept the certificates, because at the moment virtually 100% of their Tandem business is coming from Skyride. Without Skyride they would not have any tandem business at the moment and the few experienced jumpers that they currently have aren't enough to support the operation. Hopefully as the operation grows and their business from other sources grows, they will be able to wean themselves from Skyride if they so choose.

So what are we saying here... is anyone involved with ASC or who works there not a good person

Nope, but condoning illegal practices makes you legally liable and makes me question your moral fiber.

Legally liable how? The only person that might be true for is the webmaster, and even that is a stretch, Dave.

Just my$.02 I travel quite a bit and jump all over the country. Since the information is out there I base where I want to jump when I am in a given area based on people I meet thru here.. and people I meet at boogies who talk about thier home dropzones.
After reading about this kind of practice I for one would avoid any dropzone that associates with them if I know they are involved.

if you were at asc 7x longer than you have been now, i still would have been there longer than you.

So What!:o

i partied with cary this weekend, even talked a little about this thread.. that doesnt make anything right though.

Gee Mark, A whole bunch of Georgia Skydivers Partied with Cary this past weekend. I'm glad you took the responsibility to be the official dz.com spokesperson/information officer.:ph34r:

Hope to see you at the farm Saturday night. Trying to make it to both parties.

Randy

So is Skyride helping to grow their business?

Yes, at the moment Skyride is their primary marketing. It takes time to get marketing and word of mouth going. They are a fresh start-up and Skyride is helping to grow their business.

The idea of Skyride is not a bad thing - its just another business and marketing model. Here is a good example on how a small dz with probably a small marketing budget can use this to their advantage.

However, it is the repeated theft and bait/switch practices that destroy any good this business can do for the sport.

Skyride, if done right, could be good for the industry.

Gee Mark, A whole bunch of Georgia Skydivers Partied with Cary this past weekend. I'm glad you took the responsibility to be the official dz.com spokesperson/information officer.

Hope to see you at the farm Saturday night. Trying to make it to both parties

i didnt see you there randy!

ohh you mean the gsl thing... ohh i was talking about another party..

anyways. what the fuck kind of post was that?:o

How are potential student finding skyride? (google ad, search engine, phone book, fake dz website?) Seems like knowing that is step one in learning how to market themselves. Does the DZ have a website?

Dave

Yes, they have a website. The DZ hasn't been open long enough to be in the Yellow Pages. Google returns their DZ.com profile as the 6th response. Of course SoaringSports.com aka Skyride is the first response.
Word of mouth will eventually help since all Skyride customers are told that they and their friends can cut out the middle man at a significant savings by calling the DZ directly.

>>>I also do not know anything about the "stolen photos" on the web sites. How many of you accusers use stolen music on your videos? Kinda the same thing isn't it? I think the saying goes "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones..." <<<

When a Tandem passenger gives the edit guy a CD from his collection, a collection of music he ( the tandem student) purchased from the music store. Then it is not stolen because it is to be use in his video. Also if only short segments of music are used with out permission of the artist, it is legal. If the edit guy gives credit to the artist in the closing credits also.

"For the things that I have any bit of say-so or control over, I am working to make even better."

Thanks Mike,

I just got off the phone with a student who was interested in purchasing two gift certificates for Christmas presents. They said that they had inquired about getting jumps certificates for skydiving in Rome through Skyride, and were informed by them that we do not accept their program. They were referred to the proper channels to make their jump where requested. I am sure that this is true and I just want to say thank you!

If anything has been accomplished by this thread it is an awareness that the past conduct of Skyride is not in the interest of the sport, and the group members have had enough of their tactics.

Now I only hope they can keep the momentem and get the rest of the issues resolved before this gets messy.

jumpervali