ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

Explain how aggressively promoting non-existent DZs and blatantly false advertizing is something that can be improved

I know you werent asking me, but I have some ideas. Add the word X-TREME to the websites, blinking text, more colors, more stolen pictures, but higher quality ones. And no more advertising tandems... advertise skysurfing, cause that's what most people really wanna do. If you're gonna lie and steal, do it XTREME! Might really help business.

Dave

Explain how aggressively promoting non-existent DZs and blatantly false advertizing is something that can be improved or corrected. It should cease.

I'd like to know how stealing hundreds of images from photographers can be improved? Steal thousands? :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't see anything wrong with defending a dropzone. I jump at ASC and I never heard of skyride until reading about it on this forum.

I also do not know anything about the "stolen photos" on the web sites. How many of you accusers use stolen music on your videos? Kinda the same thing isn't it? I think the saying goes "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones..."

I jump at ASC because it is the best drop zone in Georgia with the best staff and aircraft. There are 2 dropzones closer to my house but I drive to ASC because it is the best. In fact, I have seen some of the complainers on this thread jumping at ASC. Isn't that kinda like driving an SUV and complaining about gas prices...

I don't see anything wrong with defending a dropzone.

Blindly defending a DZ when they are wrong is silly.

I also do not know anything about the "stolen photos" on the web sites.

Then it must not have happened.

How many of you accusers use stolen music on your videos? Kinda the same thing isn't it? I think the saying goes "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones..."

Ahh, it's OK that ASC does it because everyone breaks laws.:S

jump at ASC because it is the best drop zone in Georgia with the best staff and aircraft. There are 2 dropzones closer to my house but I drive to ASC because it is the best. In fact, I have seen some of the complainers on this thread jumping at ASC. Isn't that kinda like driving an SUV and complaining about gas prices...

Which has what to do with Skyride's business practices?

What they do is illegal, imorral and unethical. If you can't see that, then you are blind. If you think it's OK because no one follows 100% of the laws, then you are wrong.

Wake up and smell the coffee, really.

Derek

>I also do not know anything about the "stolen photos" on the web sites.

The two photos of the skysurfer on the home page of your DZ's webpage were used with out permission. Want to go explain to the photographer why he should'nt get paid for his work?

Read up on copyright and fair use laws. HUGE HUGE HUGE difference between what fair use is and what copyright theft is. Most the Skyride websites are nothing but stolen property havens.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Derek,

Take a deep breath and calm downB| I don't know anything about the stolen photos because it is not something that we as jumpers are briefed on before jumping at ASC. I have only read about it here. If you were not so quick to flame ASC jumpers you might get more support for your cause from them.

If ASC or Skyride is in the wrong then sue them. But if you are such a law abiding citizen you should turn everyone in for using stolen music or running stop signs:D

I have a feeling no law suit will ever happen. It would take a large investment to start such a thing. Everyone likes to talk about it but no one will pony up the cash.

But keep flaming me and other ASC jumpers and staff. The more you do the less you sqawking will affect us. No matter how valid your complaint.

I am awake and I don't drink coffee. You should try decaf.

best drop zone in Georgia with the best staff and aircraft.

That's a pretty bold statement. Come down to Skydive Atlanta sometime. I think you'll be surprised after jumping out of (IMO) the best maintained, conditioned and fastest climbing aircraft in GA. I think you'll find there's a significant amount of Freefly and canopy talent available at any time.

Hope to see you soon :)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Not been around long, have you Mann?

This issue has been going on 3 times longer than you've been skydiving, if your profile is accurate.

The lawsuits are going to happen, believe it or not. It's just a matter of time. These things do take time to prepare for. Documentation is still ongoing.

Go ahead and blindly enjoy your jumps at ASC if you want to, but as you gain experience, you'll want to try other places too. You'd be surprised how widespread the hate of ASC is...

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I also do not know anything about the "stolen photos" on the web sites.

For your reading:

Brent Finley

Tim Eason-1

Tim Eason-2

Tim Eason-3

Tim Eason-4

Partial Summary on Tim Eason's stolen web sites

ASC Tactics from a few years ago
- scroll down to Paul's Parachuting
- below that there are screen captures of the earlier knockoffs of Tim's web site.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

But keep flaming me and other ASC jumpers and staff. The more you do the less you sqawking will affect us. No matter how valid your complaint.

When you have more experience and more time in the sport, you'll look back at your statements in this thread and be VERY assamed. I promise you its going to happen. Give it another couple years and get some experience under your belt, maybe 500 more jumps.

By then you'll have the time in sport to understand whats going on here.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't know anything about the stolen photos because it is not something that we as jumpers are briefed on before jumping at ASC.

You've said "I don't know anything about stolen photos." twice now, but;

I have only read about it here.

So you do know about the stolen photos. How do you feel about that?

Do you know abou the rest of their business practices? If yes, how do you feel about those?

If ASC or Skyride is in the wrong then sue them. But if you are such a law abiding citizen you should turn everyone in for using stolen music or running stop signs

That is a poor defense, "Everyone breaks laws, so if you are going to call ASC on it, you have to call everyone on it." B.S.

I have a feeling no law suit will ever happen. It would take a large investment to start such a thing. Everyone likes to talk about it but no one will pony up the cash.

You are probably right, but defending ASC because you jump there is silly. I still don't understand why jumpers will defend their home DZ even when it is clearly in the wrong.

But keep flaming me and other ASC jumpers and staff. The more you do the less you sqawking will affect us.

I haven't flamed anyone.

No matter how valid your complaint.

So you do realize that ASC is in the wrong. That's good. Why do defend the though? That is the part I don't understand.

I am awake and I don't drink coffee. You should try decaf.

I do drink decaf.........

I think jumpers everywhere should stop blindly defending a DZ if it is wrong just because they jump there.

Derek

So what are we saying here... is anyone involved with ASC or who works there not a good person?

No. I am not saying that at all. I think that by jumping there and supporting ASC, you are contributing to the problem.

The jumpers at ASC should know about Skyride, etc. They are then faced with a decision: continue to jump there and support those practices or make it known that those practices are un-acceptable and you will refuse to jump there as long as they continue.

The second option takes moral fortitude. The first requires turning a blind eye.

Do you really want to support a company that uses those types of practices?

Derek

So what are we saying here... is anyone involved with ASC or who works there not a good person

Nope, but condoning illegal practices makes you legally liable and makes me question your moral fiber.

Skyride has screwed a lot of people with a bait and switch routine, which is illegal, and has illegally taken photos and web script from our own community. I know skydivers have a history of not caring about laws, but there has always been unwritten laws about fucking people within the skydiving community, which is worst then just simply breaking the law.

If I was staff at ASC I would have already either a) jumped ship or b) be looking for an opportunity too. I would have already called out to DZs close or if I was trailered at the DZ, I would have called to large DZs around the country looking for work to get the fuck away from ASC.

This stuff is coming to a head, I would want to leave if for no other reason, but for being a rat on a sinking ship...I wouldn't want to go down with it.

: I didn't condone anything... I was asking a question.

You still spending your money there, even with this knowledge? You still fighting to "protect" the DZ's name?

That's sure as hell condoning!

That's sure as hell condoning

Okay guys lets not get personal here. The issue is Skyride.
There will always be those that turn a blind eye, there will always be those who think its ok. It goes to merit.
It also is clearly evident, there are those that have educated themselves on the subject and those that have not.
Lets keep it clean, play nicely and stay on topic.
B2

Interesting,very interesting.I tried the new drop zone locator on the home page,entered my zip code and found United Parachute Club.Now as a member and share holder in the now defunct UPC,I read the reviews posted and found one for June of 2004 complaining of all the Skyride tricks and traps.UPC has has been closed for over 2 years.Here is the review.

United Parachute Club Reviews

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Review ID:1624)

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:

The web site is deceiving... Be careful...
Rated by: alikoc on Tue Jul 06 2004 (user profile) (user reviews)

Pros: Friendly people... over 14000 feet...
Cons: Deceiving information on their website.

I have had a great experience with these people however DO NOT rely on the information presented on their website. Here is a couple of sections(in quotes) I have extracted from the website:

"Pennsylvania Skydiving offers you the thrill of skydiving from 15,000 feet"

There is an extra charge of $10 for each person for this altitude.

"Some centers make claims of skydives for $165, and will then charge you a fake “gear rental” fee that will make the actual price closer to $200! All the gear needed to make your skydive is included in our price of $165."

That information is totally wrong. Gear rental is NOT included with the price of $165. When you call the number to make a reservation your total will come to $198 with the gear rental.

"Video and Photo Package : $85.00"

This is WRONG... Only video is $85.00. If you want photo you MUST pay $10.00 extra.

That is all from me... Just know the facts...

Was this review helpful to you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Okay guys lets not get personal here.

That's not personal and it sure as hell is clean. Hell is just a words, its not a fighting word. If you were an Aggie you'd understand.;)

I'm showing example as to what would be viewed as condoning Skyride's practices. Its important. I'm trying to give example for some low time jumpers who are blinded by their home DZ to facts.

All of that is important and very much on topic for this thread.

That's not personal.

I'm showing example as to what would be viewed as condoning Skyride's practices. Its important. I'm trying to give example for some low time jumpers who are blinded by their home DZ to facts.

All of that is important and very much on topic for this thread.

JRock merely posed a question.
I have a question of my own...of the people posting here...
Does your drop zone accept skyride certificates?
Mine does not.

When you have more experience and more time in the sport, you'll look back at your statements in this thread and be VERY assamed. I promise you its going to happen. Give it another couple years and get some experience under your belt, maybe 500 more jumps.

By then you'll have the time in sport to understand whats going on here.

soo true..

what i can say si you already know this, and you defending a dropzone that clearly everyone, or most everyone, hates. is just you trying to convince yourself that it is ok, it wont be long before the big picture comes into play.:|

JRock merely posed a question.
Mine does not.

j- rock doesnt spend any money in skydiving. he quit,

whut up j-rock.

and no my dz does not take skyride certificates, neither does any drop zone in georgia.

Mine does not.

We did initially when Skyride first came out, since out competitors were accepting them as well. We quickly figured out what was going on and we quit taking them quite quickly. This was before it started coming out on DZ.com about skyride and what they were doing, so we didn't know.

So, NOPE, not anymore. They even try to screw over the DZs not just the customers buying the certificiates.

Neither of the two I jump at do. One has a HUGE "Consumer Warning" on their website and the other will probally have one next year.

Too bad there is one in the area that advertises "We accept Skyride". Thankfully they are only a Censsa DZ that is surrounded by Turbines that out advertise them in the local markets.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com