ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

I did not vote becuse the Persident ruled that any DZ operator had a potential conflict of interest and could not vote. I am an officer on the board of directors of Skydive Orange Va.

Unofficial information and supposition often lead to misinformation.

All you got to do is ask. My email is in Parachutist.

Mike Perry

So I guess my wonder is if the USPA is going to pull the group memberships of any dropzone that does business with Skyride.

There are a lot of them out there, most operate under the contingency that knowledge not be made known. The skydiving public at large would probably be surprised at which DZ's conduct business with Skyride. Not defending Skyride or the DZ's by any stretch, but like I said, should be interesting, junkfood for the brain.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

The skydiving public at large would probably be surprised at which DZ's conduct business with Skyride.

There is a site with a list of the DZs that do NOT do business with them. I can't find it now. I think peer pressure by experienced jumpers to not be associated with them can be extremely influential.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I've seen the list you are talking about, it was posted some time ago, well the link to the website it is on anyway.

Believe it if you like, I stand by my statement, as much as peer pressure from upjumpers can sway an opinion, high financial yield from say........ tandems which yield somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 to 5 times as much as a single upjumper on a single load even after the camera person and tandem masters are paid can understandably justify an unpopular decision.

Hell, I can go post my name on any list saying I do or don't do something............doesn't necessarily make it so does it?

Again I'm not defending anyone, just stirring the pot a little because I think it is going to be interesting when all of a sudden things start coming to light.

Remember owning a DZ is a business, and although I am not implying that every DZO has gone the Skyride route, far from it, however I haven't met a business owner yet that didn't like making money. And if the money comes easy why would you do anything to jepardize that income................. like admitting where it comes from.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

Hell, I can go post my name on any list saying I do or don't do something............doesn't necessarily make it so does it?

Not so.

I notified the person in charge of the list, notifying them that Skydive Greene County was most definitely not affiliated, but they would only add them to the list after being contacted by the DZO, which did promptly happen.

I found the link:

http://www.1800skyrider.com/links/links_index.htm

I stand by my statement, as much as peer pressure from upjumpers can sway an opinion, high financial yield from say........ tandems which yield somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 to 5 times as much as a single upjumper on a single load even after the camera person and tandem masters are paid can understandably justify an unpopular decision.

That is an awfully long list for such a pessimistic view. I think the 'high financial yield' is not the actual experience of many DZOs, and peer pressure will be enough of an extra push to get them to get their butt off the fence.

I sure hope Kapowsin is not affiliated, and has just not bothered yet to get on the list.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

So what effect does this have on ASC's group membership?

I went looking for any reaction to the USPA action on the ASC forums and noticed they are promoting "USPA Coach Rating Course Aug 5-7 at ASC".

http://www.ascskydiving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=372
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Welcome the home site of the National Skydiving Association. You're source for complete and accurate skydiving information.

Just don't ask them about English.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

A New Low for even Skyride:

Sometime last year after Chris Martins Death (Owner of the Tulahoma TN Dropzone), Someone contacted the Phone company claiming to be Chris Martin and had the 1-800 number for his Dropzone redirected to skyride.

I would love to see any of the ASC/Skyride supporters try to defend this action. Hey.. Its just aggressive Marketing right??

Absolutely disgusting!! Hopefully someone can pursue criminal charges for this act of Fraud and Theft by deception.

Are you kidding me? Did this really happen? How low does someone have to be to exploit someone's death. This goes beyond unethical business practices and shows the true character of those involved.

How can anyone condone or continue to make excuses for a business or person that does this?[:/]

I did not vote becuse the Persident ruled that any DZ operator had a potential conflict of interest and could not vote. I am an officer on the board of directors of Skydive Orange Va.

Unofficial information and supposition often lead to misinformation.

All you got to do is ask. My email is in Parachutist.

Mike Perry

Very interesting Mike. You work at Skydive Orange where they use very similar deceptive marking practices (i.e., "dummy" websites), but yet you and the rest of USPA ignore that, and go after other guys. Do I see a double standard here? If your yanking ASC's membership, why not Orange's as well?
Lets face it guys, USPA is only out to do what's best for them...and no one else. They are a boy scout organization, and they worst they can do is take your merit badges.
refer to:
http://www.skydivemaryland.com
http://www.skydivemd.com

Oh come on. You can't compare the skydive orange sites with skyride's sites. I don't like what skydive orange did, but it's just internet marketing. They are 100% clear as to where they are actually located and how far it is from maryland (which is a big part of their market).

Besides, you ever seen the dropzones that are actually IN maryland?? :P (My first jump was in MD, btw).

Dave

Thanks Dave, I didn't think that part was that hard to figure out. A lot of our fun jumpers actually live in the Metro DC and Maryland areas, up as far as Baltimore. (As you already mentioned)

Btw, I'm not on the board there, just grew up in the town and love to jump there, so don't like to see my home mentioned with the likes of those who run Skyride.:S

I agree Orange's marketing is nothing like ASC/Skyride's marketing. Bottom line, Orange's websites, make them look like they are a DZ in Maryland, which they are not. They may have driving directions to the Virginia location, but its still deceptive advertising. And the kicker is that Orange is practically run by USPA...hmmmmmm yet another double standard??

BTW: I lived in MD for many years, and mainly jumped at Skydive VA. I visited one Maryland DZ (the only one that allows up jumpers), and had a very good experience.

I agree Orange's marketing is nothing like ASC/Skyride's marketing. Bottom line, Orange's websites … [constitute] deceptive advertising.

From what I can tell the law would treat these two schemes quite differently. Orange shouldn’t lose sleep over it while on the other hand Skyride …

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

Sometime last year after Chris Martins Death (Owner of the Tulahoma TN Dropzone), Someone contacted the Phone company claiming to be Chris Martin and had the 1-800 number for his Dropzone redirected to skyride.

Any proof of this?

If so, I hope these two get what they deserve.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Lets face it guys, USPA is only out to do what's best for them...and no one else. They are a boy scout organization, and they worst they can do is take your merit badges.

correct.
and the boy scouts dont want gays, so they kicked them out and got sued and the boyscouts won because they are private. and like it or not they can do what they want as an organasation. uspa doesnt want somone who runs a buissness like that in there organasation, and frankly neither do i. ive already separated myself some time ago, and im glad to see uspa separate themselves also. wich in turn gives me full separation.. and thats the way i like it, and im, the uspa.;)

im sure there are a couple folks a little pissed off about this, but im also sure there are alot more that are happy about it. and then you have the ones who really dont care.

and of course then you have the ones who say they dont care, but they really do..

bottom line, enough peeps came together to convince the board to boot them, regardless of the reason, that is a true democracy.

follow this path backwards

No offense, but a post on thread is NOT proof.

However, I have gottena PM from someone I trust that claims it is true and offerd me numbers and contacts in the FBI where a complaint was filed.

THAT I trust.

These shitbags are scum.

Chutting Star....You know that I like you personally Mike...But how do you stand if this is true?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334