burnout

Boogie Ideas?

Looking for some suggestions on how to organize a good Boogie people would want to come too. Our DZ is small and limited on funds but local jumpers are willing to spend some money on the right ideas if it will attract other jumpers. We used to be known for good Boogies years ago but now are know for having really lousy ones, and we would like to change that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Remember (low funds) THANKS!!!

A big part of a boogie is the vibe and attitude of the DZ. If people for whatever reason don't like the vibe or attitude, they probably won't go unless it's a big event.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Um, if your dz is looking to throw a boogie and the fun jumpers are willing to spend a little cash to get it going why don't you bring it up with them?

Surely, there's got to be an idea that stems from the dz.

I used to throw the annual "get wet" bbq at our dz.

I charged $10 and bought a keg the first load on sunday morning, bbq'd lunch and dinner on saturday (burgers and dogs)

and I tried different events during them I did a parapoker event last year that worke dok but with some fine tuning would have been awesome.

Basically you get one card for different things.
hitting the bullseye was the main thing. I was trying to get formations together and give a card for most points etc but I couldn't get enough vidiots to film.

Oh yea since it was the GET WET BBQ I held it in the summer and brought a small pool so we could cool off. 123 degree temps are a bitch.
My photos

My Videos

Looking for some suggestions on how to organize a good Boogie people would want to come too. Our DZ is small and limited on funds but local jumpers are willing to spend some money on the right ideas if it will attract other jumpers. We used to be known for good Boogies years ago but now are know for having really lousy ones, and we would like to change that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Remember (low funds) THANKS!!!

If I may: come to SkyFest in June, just a bit south of you and look me up when you get there. Hang out in the SF booth and maybe some ideas will come to ya?

Sure you could hitch a ride on one of the 3 Casa'a coming? Or drop me a line sometime. I love CSS, been there a few times. Always got to hang out with Paul for a tour and check out his projects.

Good luck

J

When i say CSS is a small DZ I am not talking about the facilities more about the fact that jumpers from other DZs dont visit us as often as they used to so we are small in the number of out of town jumpers we see. We want to encourage jumpers to come jump with us and see all we have to offer and i'm looking for ideas or events that would encourage them to do that. We have some of the best facilities and aircraft on the east coast but organizing events is primarily up to the local jumpers with little support from mgmt and we were just wondering if anyone had any cool event ideas we could build upon.

If you want lots of people to come and play for a week, find yourself some good coaches and organizers and put on a bigway camp. You've got the planes to support it and with a new world record coming up in 2009, I'm sure that there will be plenty of people on the eastern side of the continent looking for some good bigway practice and coaching.

I can't speak for everyone else, but personally, the kind of things that will attract me to an event is the special stuff, whether it's a boogie or a camp - good organizers, good coaches, good camps, special jumps, specialty aircraft (eg. helicopters, biplanes, jets, balloons, etc) You guys have an awesome fleet, but to be honest, during the summer, I can do 10 jumps per weekend from a Twin Otter at my home DZ. If I'm travelling for the sake of skydiving, I'll be looking for something that I can't do every weekend at my local DZ. Having a reputation for a cool fun vibe can help a lot, too, but you'll probably need to have a few successful events first to develop that and/or get people talking about your cool, fun vibe, so I'd start with the other stuff I mentioned to get the first people to come.

That's my $0.02.

I jump at a big DZ and I still like to travel to boogies. One thing that I look for is the fun jumping. I look for an organizer that is less concerned about challenging the jumpers on the load and more concerned about having fun on the dive. I've done tube and raft dives, horny goriilas, and hang loads that were way more fun than hardcore RW. If I want to do drill dives I'll stay home. I'd much rather do fun jumps that don't complete than 'work" on serious jumps. One of the most fun jumps I did at at Quincy was an early morning jump were I asked if I could just lurk a novice 2-way. After sitting about 10 feet out for 10 seconds they waved me over to dock and we did 360's to redock till breakoff. I didn't see them after we landed but I hope they had fun too!

I jump at a big DZ and I still like to travel to boogies. One thing that I look for is the fun jumping. I look for an organizer that is less concerned about challenging the jumpers on the load and more concerned about having fun on the dive. I've done tube and raft dives, horny goriilas, and hang loads that were way more fun than hardcore RW. If I want to do drill dives I'll stay home. I'd much rather do fun jumps that don't complete than 'work" on serious jumps. One of the most fun jumps I did at at Quincy was an early morning jump were I asked if I could just lurk a novice 2-way. After sitting about 10 feet out for 10 seconds they waved me over to dock and we did 360's to redock till breakoff. I didn't see them after we landed but I hope they had fun too!

Ditto to the fun jumps...

To each, his own. I think if you are going to have a big boogie, or want to attract a lot of people, you will have to cater to several different tastes. Personally, having fun to me involves turning points, docking on big ways and really stretching my RW skills. I would view such things as a horny gorilla as a waste of my time because I want to improve my skills in other areas.
So, goofy jumps are fun for some people, but its not what everyone goes to a boogie for, although you did not suggest that it was.

Except for boobies. I think we can all agree that those are good.;)

Except for boobies. I think we can all agree that those are good

Well, maybe we don't all agree just how they're good :P

That said, I want to have no trouble getting on a load at a boogie. I'm on the shy side, so having a sign-up list, or an organizer who is approachable is what I'm looking for. Maybe have different organizers, one for the hard-core point turners, and another for the loose loads, and another for the novices -- wait -- that's roughly what Skyfest has been doing :D.

Since you're hoping to get a lot of people who don't know your DZ and don't know each other, consider what would make jumping at a new DZ enjoyable, adn make sure it's not only there, but clearly there. T-shirts with "RW organizer" or "FF organizer" or whatever, and an approachable nature. Maybe periodic announcements "if you want to be on a fun load meet by the coke machine in 10 minutes"

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

To each, his own. I think if you are going to have a big boogie, or want to attract a lot of people, you will have to cater to several different tastes. Personally, having fun to me involves turning points, docking on big ways and really stretching my RW skills. I would view such things as a horny gorilla as a waste of my time because I want to improve my skills in other areas.
So, goofy jumps are fun for some people, but its not what everyone goes to a boogie for, although you did not suggest that it was.

I agree with you. At a boogie, I want to jump with different people than I normally get to and learn something from them. I like to take advantage of load organizers and work on my RW skills. Whether it's scrambles, bigger-ways, or whatever. I can do a zoo-dive any old weekend.

But one thing you absolutely need for a successful boogie is lots of :D:D:D. And advertising.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Except for boobies. I think we can all agree that those are good

Well, maybe we don't all agree just how they're good :P

That said, I want to have no trouble getting on a load at a boogie. I'm on the shy side, so having a sign-up list, or an organizer who is approachable is what I'm looking for. Maybe have different organizers, one for the hard-core point turners, and another for the loose loads, and another for the novices -- wait -- that's roughly what Skyfest has been doing :D.

Since you're hoping to get a lot of people who don't know your DZ and don't know each other, consider what would make jumping at a new DZ enjoyable, adn make sure it's not only there, but clearly there. T-shirts with "RW organizer" or "FF organizer" or whatever, and an approachable nature. Maybe periodic announcements "if you want to be on a fun load meet by the coke machine in 10 minutes"

Wendy W.

Definitely cater to different groups... Turning points doesn't do anything for me, but I'm always up for a fun jump. Big ways are always good, if you have enough experience to get in on them (not me.. yet) but don't forget about the many newer jumpers who aren't ready for big ways. Having 2 or 3 organizers who are all concentrating on large groups leaves the 'youngsters' feeling left out of the fun....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...