weegegirl

Up Your Chances of Survival

Not all of us are going to survive this game. Most of us will. Some of us will not. Those that survive may survive by pure luck - others by skill and risk management. Some accidents that happen will be unpreventable. However, some jumpers that go in will lose their lives in a way that could have been prevented by risk management.

It seams that we, as a community, provide many tools to help someone increase his/her chances of survival. I find it funny that some skydivers choose to blatantly ignore this advice. Others embrace the advice, take their time, build their knowledge and skills bank, and still progress competitively at a reasonable rate.

We’ve all expressed disgust in the hundred-jump-wonder – flying a 1.8 wing loading, trying to learn head down, or strapping a camera to their heads entirely too early. Many have tried to offer their help in teaching from experience.

I’d like to start a library of resources for newer jumpers to learn from – links to top rated educational articles, contact information for those that teach in depth canopy courses, links to incidents that we can all learn from, etc. If anyone has links or information to add, please post it and I will update this list.

This list is only the beginning. There are a lot of resources out there. Again, please post any info we can add.

Excellent Safety Articles:

"The Long Haul," by Brian Germain
"Ten things that may keep you alive," by Bill von Novak
"Downsizing Checklist," by Bill von Novak
"Canopy Skills Drills," by Brian Germain
"Wings Level," by Skratch Garrison
"Survival Skills for Canopy Control," by John LeBlanc
"Flying and Landing High Performance Parachutes Safely," by John LeBlanc
"Thermals 101: A Paraglider’s Perspective," by tdog

Books That May Save Your Life:

The Parachute and its Pilot, by Brian Germain
The Canopy Pilot's Handbook, Bryan Burke

Canopy Courses:

Brian Germain, The Parachute and its Pilot, A seminar Series
Scott Miller, Freedom of Flight Canopy School
• Jim Slayton
• TJ
• Dusty
• Team Extreme

Incidents to Learn From:

Skydiving Fatalities Database

I've read all the articles, and have ordered Brian's book - from what I can tell, it seems to be mandatory when you buy your first gear! ;)

I'm also looking into Skydive U and canopy control courses that coincide with my planned vacations.... I plan on being in the sport for the long haul....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Thanks for the info weegee.

Just an observation though. Canopy instruction is not limited to Scott Miller and Brian Germaine (yes these two individuals are recognized for their excellent instruction). I have received canopy coaching from guys like Hooknswoop (not active anymore) and lately from Jim Slaton (both in high performance canopy control but also in Ground Launching). Plus I know I could always travel to Eloy and/or Perris to receive addition coaching from guys like TJ, Dusty or one of the Team Extreme people. Plus locally here in Colorado some canopy control coaching for new skydivers has also been setup. So people need to look around and find the coaching which suits them. And of course if you're reading this and you haven't sought any canopy control coaching yet, do so at your earliest convinience. Jim Slaton has explained swooping to me like no other person has ever explained it and it has made a world of difference in my knowledge and I'm slowly starting to see dividends pay off in my actual swoops. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Jim Slaton has explained swooping to me like no other person has ever explained it and it has made a world of difference in my knowledge and I'm slowly starting to see dividends pay off in my actual swoops.

Directly or indirectly, he has taught me the most about canopy flight. Very cool. Bryan Burke also has some literature out called The Canopy Pilot's handbook.

Thanks for the info weegee.

Just an observation though. Canopy instruction is not limited to Scott Miller and Brian Germaine (yes these two individuals are recognized for their excellent instruction). I have received canopy coaching from guys like Hooknswoop (not active anymore) and lately from Jim Slaton (both in high performance canopy control but also in Ground Launching). Plus I know I could always travel to Eloy and/or Perris to receive addition coaching from guys like TJ, Dusty or one of the Team Extreme people. Plus locally here in Colorado some canopy control coaching for new skydivers has also been setup. So people need to look around and find the coaching which suits them. And of course if you're reading this and you haven't sought any canopy control coaching yet, do so at your earliest convinience. Jim Slaton has explained swooping to me like no other person has ever explained it and it has made a world of difference in my knowledge and I'm slowly starting to see dividends pay off in my actual swoops. :ph34r:

You are totally right! This list should grow a lot. I had to start somewhere. I'd love to have a BIG list... so people should add to it. I have personally known Brian for the few years I've been in the sport - and he has been a great resource to me. I know that there are many others out there like him.

Bryan Burke is also an outstanding individual to have a conversation about skydiving with. I wish I would have talked to him before I had my reserve ride last year as if I did, I think I would still have my handles (he told me to rehearse holding on to them while I was rehearsing my emergency procedures). It was a briliant response from a very smart man.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Liz, you rock! Just for taking the time to put this post together, you rock! But also because you are thinking about this and put your idea out there. All that you listed is great information and something anyone can learn from. Awesome resources!

I just might bring an extra bottle of wine to you at Freezefest!;)

I just might bring an extra bottle of wine to you at Freezefest!;)

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! We are going to have a killer time! I can't wait!

But as for the thread... no thanks needed. All of this information is out there already. I just wanted to compile a list of the best resources in hopes that it might reach one person. Some people don't have the time to do all the searching themselves.

EXCELLENT post, Liz. Thanks for your contribution. I have moved this thread to Safety & Training so it won't get pushed off the front page so quickly. I will tell HH about it as well . . . maybe there's a database in our future?!?!?

Well done.

Great... I'm glad it's getting a good response. I forgot that I lose my ability to edit a post after so many hours though. I would love to be able to add to the first post so that people don't have to dig down to find the latest version. Any way that is possible?

Not all of us are going to survive this game. Most of us will. Some of us will not. Those that survive may survive by pure luck - others by skill and risk management. Some accidents that happen will be unpreventable. However, some jumpers that go in will lose their lives in a way that could have been prevented by risk management.

It seams that we, as a community, provide many tools to help someone increase his/her chances of survival. I find it funny that some skydivers choose to blatantly ignore this advice. Others embrace the advice, take their time, build their knowledge and skills bank, and still progress competitively at a reasonable rate.

We’ve all expressed disgust in the hundred-jump-wonder – flying a 1.8 wing loading, trying to learn head down, or strapping a camera to their heads entirely too early. Many have tried to offer their help in teaching from experience.

I’d like to start a library of resources for newer jumpers to learn from – links to top rated educational articles, contact information for those that teach in depth canopy courses, links to incidents that we can all learn from, etc. If anyone has links or information to add, please post it and I will update this list.

This list is only the beginning. There are a lot of resources out there. Again, please post any info we can add.

Book: Skydiver's survival Guide

Canopy Courses:

• Jim Slayton
• TJ
• Dusty
• Team Extreme

Incidents to Learn From:

Hey Liz,

This is an awesome idea/thread. I for one, being a low jump number skydiver, appreciate it. I have goals set for myself this year and one inparticular is to focus more on safety. So thanks for your efforts chick, you rock. Maybe next time we jump together, I can hang with you!!!

:)

We're here for a good time, not a long time.

EXCELLENT post hun. Thank you. :)
Also, I'm not sure if there if it's online somewhere or not, but I'd highly recommend the Swoop Survival series featured in Parachutist. I believe you can order it in one piece from http://www.uspa.com

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Holy crap!

Your post should be made again in Swooping and made a damned sticky and locked thread. That way it will be at the top for questions and a greenie or HH could add to it when you submitted new/more articles for the list...

That's a badass list and I'm going to be using your list to help out upjumpers quite a bit!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Book: Skydiver's survival Guide
"The Fine Art of Swoop Survival" (reprints)

Canopy Courses:

• Jim Slayton
• TJ
• Dusty
• Team Extreme

Incidents to Learn From:

Thanks for the list, weegegirl... I have some reading to do...

I see you posted my article about thermals on your list. That article started one day as a post in a forum, and now it all of a sudden is recommended reading. I am honored that I was able to bring some cross-sport perspective... I hope it helps.

Since winds aloft, thermals and other conditions can determine where you land and can create all sorts of landing hazards, yet most “consumer based” weather links don’t provide weather info for pilots, here are the hard to find aviation specific weather links that can help people determine winds aloft, spotting, likelihood of turbulence, etc that some people have PMed me for…(If nothing else, your friends will be thankful when you tell them to add an extra layer of clothing because you know the temperature forecast not only for the ground but jump run…)

Do you want to add a "weather" category???

The “official” USA NOAA Aviation Weather website

USA Winds Aloft and Temperature Chart from the Aviation Weather website
Instructions needed to read the chart listed above
USA Aviation Digital Data Service (winds, turbulence, radar)

USA FAA Flight Service Center with recorded weather info: 1-800-WXBrief

Non-government Weather Website for "Sport Pilots"

Video, “Weather To Fly, Basic Concepts For Flight With Dixon White (1999)” Written for paraglidng, but useful for anyone with a canopy (search web for your favorite retailer)