1 1
brenthutch

Big changes for Twitter

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

And the other only reason is the increase in life expectancy. The Founding Fathers of the US were largely not over 50, but they seem to have done a pretty good job. The older people get, generally the more they feel as though they have to protect, but it’s for a shorter and shorter period of time that they have left.

Any more, I almost alway vote among the younger candidates. It’s their world coming up. A council of elders to be consulted might be a good idea, but an elder council of rulers not so much.

Wendy P. 

Hi Wendy,

It is the increase in average life expectancy.  Even in the 1770's we had people who lived into their late 90's.

Not many, but some.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  How in the H*** do I turn off this system that keeps telling me what to type on this site?

2 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi murps,

Re:  “If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart.  If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.”

This is a variant of an old French saying.  BH just has the wrong ages posted.

Jerry Baumchen

BH must be very old for his years.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

“If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart.  If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you are not addicted to FOX.”

Lmao, dude you're more addicted to FOX than any conservative here.  You have at least 469 posts about them, compared to 137 posts from 5 of the most frequent conservative posters here, combined!  And most of those are likely replies to you about how they don't really watch it, or how you misrepresneted articles you obviously didn't even read.

I get more FOX news from you then anywhere else. You're obsessed!  Time for an intervention.

On 12/26/2022 at 2:04 PM, brenthutch said:

“In contrast to previous research, however, we also find support for folk wisdom: on those occasions when political attitudes do shift across the life span, liberals are more likely to become conservatives than conservatives are to become liberals, suggesting that folk wisdom has some empirical basis even as it overstates the degree of change.”

The right thrives on bullying ‘snowflakes’. But who will vote for it when they grow old?

According to new research and survey data, millennials are defying a supposed iron law of politics, that we shift to the right as we age. No other generation in recorded political history has retained such an entrenched rejection of rightwing politics as they’ve grown older.

The right has become its own gravedigger for two reasons. First, by building an economic model that promised individual freedom but delivered mass insecurity; and second, by intentionally and repeatedly insulting the social values of the young….

Commentators and politicians treat younger people as woke barbarians at the gates threatening to tear down everything conservatives hold dear… Younger people are more likely to defend the rights of the minorities bullied and harassed by rightwing politicians, and conservatives hate them for it.

And so the British and US right have apparently condemned themselves to a political doom loop: savaging the progressive values of younger generations, and in doing so driving them further into the arms of the left.

…What’s intriguing is how rightwing politicians and commentators alike have doubled down on poisonous invectives that alienate young people...

…In building and benefiting from an economic model that has left younger people bereft of a secure future, and repelling them with a “culture war” against progressive values, British and US conservatism seems to be authoring its own demise.

Hope you enjoy your retirement home echo chamber, Brent^_^

1 hour ago, jakee said:

The right thrives on bullying ‘snowflakes’. But who will vote for it when they grow old?

According to new research and survey data, millennials are defying a supposed iron law of politics, that we shift to the right as we age. No other generation in recorded political history has retained such an entrenched rejection of rightwing politics as they’ve grown older.

The right has become its own gravedigger for two reasons. First, by building an economic model that promised individual freedom but delivered mass insecurity; and second, by intentionally and repeatedly insulting the social values of the young….

Commentators and politicians treat younger people as woke barbarians at the gates threatening to tear down everything conservatives hold dear… Younger people are more likely to defend the rights of the minorities bullied and harassed by rightwing politicians, and conservatives hate them for it.

And so the British and US right have apparently condemned themselves to a political doom loop: savaging the progressive values of younger generations, and in doing so driving them further into the arms of the left.

…What’s intriguing is how rightwing politicians and commentators alike have doubled down on poisonous invectives that alienate young people...

…In building and benefiting from an economic model that has left younger people bereft of a secure future, and repelling them with a “culture war” against progressive values, British and US conservatism seems to be authoring its own demise.

Hope you enjoy your retirement home echo chamber, Brent^_^

Millennials are still relatively young. See what happens when they move up a few tax brackets.

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

See what happens when they move up a few tax brackets.

That’s not happening for a decent number. Housing is unaffordable, and lots have a bunch of college debt to pay off, as well as their being in some of their prime career building years during the recession. Some will, but their financial future as a cohort is nowhere close to as rosy as ours was  

Wendy P. 

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

Millennials are still relatively young. See what happens when they move up a few tax brackets.

Some millennials are in their 40s. A few years ago I was still seeing articles about how spoiled millennials will struggle in real world job interviews from authors who were clearly unaware that many of the middle managers and HR people doing the interviewing already were millennials. 

Anyway, as the article states the current conservative economic policies are hurting the chances of more millennials moving into those high brackets and in particular mortgage free home ownership. Add in their obsession with insulting and belittling anyone who holds modern social values - often for no apparent reason other than pure spite and a desire to ‘own the libs’ - and it doesn’t look pretty for the future.

What isn’t even mentioned as much in the article is why would anyone not already ‘in the church’ look at the state of current conservatism and conclude that they are the safe pair of hands? From BoJo’s myriad inadequacies to Truss’s utter economic humiliation on this side of the Atlantic to Trumpism and the congressional cultists like Gaetz and Boebert who can’t even act grown up enough to choose a leader within their own branch of their own party. What does modern conservatism offer to non-conservatives?

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Thats hilarious. That you still repeat old conservative false ideas of social mobility in the face of massive tax breaks for the rich.

Object lesson in echo chamber media.  I like to watch YouTube.  Yesterday I happened to watch a short one with Jim Jordan grilling the twitter  twits.  I enjoy Jim's antics but also know he's playing to the crowd.

Shortly thereafter my feed was filled with right wing offerings.  The little snippet reels were all right wing.  Unless I go into settings and clear the history they kept coming.  I'm planning on trying it in reverse by finding something that would be considered "left" and see if the same thing happens.

Bottom line for me;  I'm so tired of being pandered to by AI.  Unless you're pro active you'll get what they think you want.  Fuck me.

16 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Shortly thereafter my feed was filled with right wing offerings.  The little snippet reels were all right wing.  Unless I go into settings and clear the history they kept coming.  I'm planning on trying it in reverse by finding something that would be considered "left" and see if the same thing happens.

I just turned down an offer from Gargle to "Enhance my browsing experience" for more focused search results based on my history. I think that's code for, Ads that are consistent with your searches. :)

Too bad they didn't have an "Unbiased" button. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, airdvr said:

More than capitalism here.  Thought modification comes to mind.

Thought modification may be an unintended consequence, but it is all about behavior modification….specifically the behavior of keeping your eyes on the screen as long as possible so there’s more opportunity to serve you ads. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Thought modification is one of the capitalist's primary tools.  Convince someone that they will be unpopular unless you buy their product.  Convince someone that they are fat so they will buy your diet supplements.  Convince someone they are ugly so they will buy your makeup.  Convince someone that they will not be manly unless they buy your truck.  Been going on for centuries.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

The AI is designed to try and extend your time on the site, so they can better monetize. The driver is capitalism, thought modification isn't the goal, just a side effect or tool.

5 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

The AI is designed to try and extend your time on the site, so they can better monetize. The driver is capitalism, thought modification isn't the goal, just a side effect or tool.

I get that for capitalism.  This is political and it's aimed to sway opinion and divide.