2 2
Phil1111

Midterms

7 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

Pithy saying but it doesn’t make any sense. Anarchy isn’t the best form of government.

I’m not advocating for anarchy,however with regard to domestic policy, the federal government should step in only when all else has failed. 

27 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I’m not advocating for anarchy,however with regard to domestic policy, the federal government should step in only when all else has failed. 

Because, after all, fixing something that’s broken badly is way better than trying to prevent it

Wendy P.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Sounds like you’re saying just before it’s too late. Like bailouts & such.

How about with regard to foreign policy? The government has to manage more than domestic issues.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

A government that governs least governs best.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Congratulations, I just deleted my longest post to date. I'm learning, I guess.

Never get into a verbal fight with an anarchist. They will drag you down to their level. Then regardless of fact they win. Because for them there are no rules.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

So - no developing nuclear weapons until someone else gets them first.  No land grants for railroads until the country's economy is dead last.  No public roads until horses, helicopters, rockets, ziplines, giant catapults and canals have failed.  No money for public health until everyone is sick or dead.  No money for space exploration until China owns low Earth orbit.  No environmental regulation until everyone is, again, sick or dead.

Sounds great!  I mean, after all, what has the federal government ever done for us?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

The most dysfunctional branch of our government, excepting our absurd supreme court, is the house. Republicans will make what is left of our somewhat functioning democracy a farce. Good for you, I guess.

Don't forget state level races.

The number of candidates that are 'election deniers' is rather scary.

It's becoming more and more apparent that the Rs are trying VERY  hard to put themselves in a position that they can declare whoever they want as 'winner' of any coming election.

20 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

It's becoming more and more apparent that the Rs are trying VERY  hard to put themselves in a position that they can declare whoever they want as 'winner' of any coming election.

They're there, seems to me. I'll continue hoping I'm wrong for a few more day's but when I'm not it will officially be the era of no longer giving a shit.

On 11/4/2022 at 9:18 AM, JoeWeber said:
On 11/4/2022 at 8:56 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

It would be less scary if the Democrats didn’t spend $53,000,000 putting election deniers on the ballot. 

13 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

How is that not a blatant troll?

He's only said it two times in two different threads which only earns one "troll" status. I "think" blatant troll status is when one hits three times in three different threads.  

• Like 1

So no GOP sweep. Even when they pass laws in Texas such that you can't vote if you reside in a college dorm room. Then you can't vote using your home address. Because you don't live there. All that gerrymandering still didn't produce more than 3-4 corrupted victories.

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

Embarassing night for the experts.

538's prediction, and how the count stands at the moment.

boebert-frisch-prediction.png

boebert-frisch-current.png

One loony gone.  Unfortunately MTG won, and Herschel W. may get into a runoff.

It's depressing that so many people vote for obvious nincompoops just because of their party label.

• Like 1

(edited)
50 minutes ago, kallend said:

Don't be too sure Boebert is gone. The NY Times is still saying she will most likely win based on the areas where votes are still to be counted. This is at 13:20 CST Wednesday. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/11/08/us/elections/results-colorado-us-house-district-3.html

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
1 hour ago, kallend said:

It's depressing that so many people vote for obvious nincompoops just because of their party label.

Hi John,

As I have been saying for years:  The American electorate is uninformed and prefers to stay that way.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  IMO it was the killing of Roe v Wade that prevented the so-called Red Wave.  There is a point where even a Republican woman is fed up.

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 2

Hi folks,

From FOX News no less:  “There is a broader issue, and think about this: We have the worst inflation in four decades, the worst collapse in real wages in 40 years, the worst crime wave since the 1990s, the worst border crisis in U.S. history, we have Joe Biden, who is the least popular president since Harry Truman, since presidential polling happened, and there wasn’t a red wave,

Also:  voters have left, have indicted the Republican Party.”

Fox News commentator describes midterms as ‘searing indictment’ for GOP | The Hill

As the late Jackie Gleason would say:  How sweet it is.

Jerry Baumchen