2 2
Phil1111

Midterms

11 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The party establishment and the right wing of the MSM did not want Trump last time around either. But no one else could beat him in the primaries because the poorly educated do want him. De Santis will also not be able to beat him if it comes to it.

I agree with this. Thirty five percent of republicans believe the election was stolen from him. This is his hard core base. The NYpost, DeSantis, Murdoch and anyone else that wants to challenge him. Will be in for a fight.

Evidently he is blaming his wife for recommending Dr. Oz. He will turn on and cannibalize anyone that gets in his way. He has a massive war chest of $200 million and can probably still raise $30 million a month. He has completely driven out of that party all old stream republicans.

Trump is burnt toast.

The GOP is probably calling the DOJ begging for an indictment.

It clears Trump out of the way for DeSantis without the GOP doing anything.

And the spin they will put on it will be a huge fundraising grift for them. Yuge!

Biden is wishing for a Trump rematch because he wins easily. Not gonna happen.

I’ll make the popcorn for this show.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billeisele said:

Just wondering, do you feel the same about Nancy?

I'm not a Trump, Biden, Kamala, Pence, Nancy, Kevin, or Chuck fan. IMO If Trump runs that's a big problem. If Biden and Trump run it forces people to choose between two bad options. There are good people in both parties that could run if Trump & Biden got out of the way. 

Politics has gotten so nasty. It seems that bipartisanship rarely occurs. Without that everything gets polarized. Maybe I'm dreaming but it seems that there are plenty of people like me that are more middle off the road. People that want compromise and for things to get done for the good of the country.

Hi Bill,

Re:  do you feel the same about Nancy

No, I do not.  While she may be a hard-core Democrat, she is not two-faced & has IMO ethics that she works & lives by.  I cannot say the same for McCarthy.

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, billeisele said:

Maybe I'm dreaming but it seems that there are plenty of people like me that are more middle off the road. People that want compromise and for things to get done for the good of the country.

There are a lot of people who feel that way. Unfortunately not enough of them get out and vote for moderate candidates in the primaries. So then they have only extremists to choose from in the general.

14 hours ago, gowlerk said:

They were against him in the beginning. Ted Cruz, and Jeb Bush and even John Kasich were the favourites. FOX only came on board when Trump became inevitable. And they will do the same thing again. If Trump wants it and fights for it he will get it. And then he will lose the general again. He nearly lost to Hilary and she was hated.

Why was Hillary Clinton hated?

I never heard the explanation why.

14 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The grass roots of the party are not loyal to Murdoch. Or De Santis. Or Mitch. Or Pence. They are loyal to their loud mouth hero. It's all very well and fine to call him yesterday's man, but who can beat him in the party? 

Hi Ken,

Maybe Trump will become a modern day Harold Stassen:   his name became most identified with his status as a perennial candidate.

Harold Stassen - Wikipedia

Some of them just cannot leave the limelight.

I am not at a point where I agree with you; but, you do make a compelling argument.

Jerry Baumchen

22 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

As I have been saying for years:  The American electorate is uninformed and prefers to stay that way.

Jerry Baumchen ... "

The average American voter is overwhelmed by political propaganda, commercial advertising, Kandy Krush, cute kitten videos, the war in Ukraine, thier @$$hole neighbor, The National Inquirer, kids soccer games, dinner with the in-laws, puppy teething, etc. and simply does not have the time or energy to devote to seriously researching political issues.

Traditonally, most voters did not consider minor issues because they voted the same way their fathers and grandfathers and great grandfathers voted. I grew up in a confused household where my father always voted conservative and my mother always voted liberal and they never discussed politics in front of the children.

9 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Why was Hillary Clinton hated?

I never heard the explanation why.

She was a strong ambitious woman who did not know her place. The likes of FOX news and associated media worked hard for years at turning her into a "boogiewoman" and succeeded. And she could be pretty tone deaf and come across as condescending as well. Because of that she failed to be relatable to people who did not agree with her. Politicians who want to be POTUS need to appear to be someone who you could sit down and have a beer with.  

12 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

She was a strong ambitious woman who did not know her place. The likes of FOX news and associated media worked hard for years at turning her into a "boogiewoman" and succeeded. And she could be pretty tone deaf and come across as condescending as well. Because of that she failed to be relatable to people who did not agree with her. Politicians who want to be POTUS need to appear to be someone who you could sit down and have a beer with.  

Hi Ken,

A few years ago, my son & I were talking about presidents.  We both agreed that we would like to have Barak Obama as a neighbor on one side & Geo. W. Bush as a neighbor on the other side.

It would make for some great BBQ discussions.

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

There are a lot of people who feel that way. Unfortunately not enough of them get out and vote for moderate candidates in the primaries. So then they have only extremists to choose from in the general.

Hi Ken,

This is why I think people are going for Ranked Choice Voting.

I think it is an idea whose time has come.

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

This is why I think people are going for Ranked Choice Voting.

I think it is an idea whose time has come.

Jerry Baumchen

I really like the concept, but in the long run it can be gamed, just like anything else. Maybe the real key to honesty is enough disruption that people have to use their brain cells on adjusting to the new reality, and not on gaming it

Wendy P. 

So there was no red wave and a lot of republicans are very disappointed.  There have been right wing commentators raging all across the FOXNewsiverse that it was Trump that caused the wave to collapse, that it was the lying media, that it was a serious lack of hate, that it was republicans not giving enough money, that it was a stolen election.

Pat Toomey: "President Trump had to insert himself and that changed the nature of the race and that created just too much of an obstacle."
Charlie Kirk: "People need to be arrested for what is happening in Maricopa County.”
Jesse Waters:  "There’s just not the hatred for Joe Biden that there is for Barack Obama . . ."
DeSantis aide:  Trump will "run the party to the ground.”

Trump, never to be outdone, is going after DeSantis: "Governor Ron DeSanctimonious, an average REPUBLICAN Governor with great Public Relations . . ."

And unfortunately the killings have also started.

https://www.journal-news.com/news/man-charged-with-murder-in-shooting-death-of-neighbor-outside-butler-county-home/XALOERKDY5C5DEPAGRIWIJUBLY/?fbclid=IwAR1MjQ_Wf6t7RerCRT5h3vd_TZzqPtSG8izn5_4hwkON9aKK3l4ADYpr2l8

57 minutes ago, billvon said:

There have been right wing commentators raging all across the FOXNewsiverse that it was Trump that caused the wave to collapse, that it was the lying media, that it was a serious lack of hate, that it was republicans not giving enough money, that it was a stolen election.

Perhaps the R party has moved too far to the right and a few more Americans have abandoned them for now? Maybe......

59 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Perhaps the R party has moved too far to the right and a few more Americans have abandoned them for now? Maybe......

President Biden has some blame to bear as well. With the radicals on the USSC now and the resultant abortion ruling it should have been a slam dunk victory.

- trump picked a cast of misfits, delinquents and political novices. To run on his MAGA, election denial platform. It should have been a dem home run.

- Biden got the US out of Afghanistan, delivered a historic low 3.9% unemployment rate and finally ended the US pandemic. It should have been a dem. celebration.

The democrats have to reconnect with the average Tractor Supply low wage voter. Looking at Florida for example: "Since the last governor’s race in 2018, Republicans registered 26 new voters, on net, for every Democrat. In some counties, like Miami-Dade, the number of registered Democrats has actually fallen since 2018.

“The secret is there is no secret,” consultant Shannon Love said of Republicans’ success. “They do the work. I think that Democrats get caught up in the message and the polls instead of doing the consistent work.”

Biden has refused to leave the WH and connect with the public. Where are the democrat attack dogs out selling democrat victories. Attacking republicans.

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

" ... With the radicals on the USSC now and the resultant abortion ruling it should have been a slam dunk victory. ... "

wow!

When did the definition of "radicals" get changed?

I was under the impression that conservatives wanted to ban abortions, but liberals/radicals didn't.

The last conversation I had with a sitting politician - on the subject of abortions - was the sitting Member of the House of Commons (Canada) representing Maple Ridge. He was a long-standing member of the Canadian (federal) Progressive Conservative Party and was rewarded with a seat in the House of commons, albeit, a back bench.

When he suggested re-opening the debate on abortion, I reminded him that Dr. Henry Morgentaler had forced the issue more than 50 years ago and that the Supreme Court of Canada had decriminalized abortion more than 40 years ago. I told him that re-opening the debate was worse than a waste of time, and if he did, I would not vote for him a second time.

That was the last time I heard him mention abortions.

3 hours ago, riggerrob said:

The last conversation I had with a sitting politician - on the subject of abortions - was the sitting Member of the House of Commons (Canada) representing Maple Ridge. He was a long-standing member of the Canadian (federal) Progressive Conservative Party and was rewarded with a seat in the House of commons

You sure you can disclose the subject of a "private meeting" with a politician about a public matter?

9 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

President Biden has some blame to bear as well. With the radicals on the USSC now and the resultant abortion ruling it should have been a slam dunk victory.

- trump picked a cast of misfits, delinquents and political novices. To run on his MAGA, election denial platform. It should have been a dem home run.

- Biden got the US out of Afghanistan, delivered a historic low 3.9% unemployment rate and finally ended the US pandemic. It should have been a dem. celebration.

The democrats have to reconnect with the average Tractor Supply low wage voter. Looking at Florida for example: "Since the last governor’s race in 2018, Republicans registered 26 new voters, on net, for every Democrat. In some counties, like Miami-Dade, the number of registered Democrats has actually fallen since 2018.

“The secret is there is no secret,” consultant Shannon Love said of Republicans’ success. “They do the work. I think that Democrats get caught up in the message and the polls instead of doing the consistent work.”

Biden has refused to leave the WH and connect with the public. Where are the democrat attack dogs out selling democrat victories. Attacking republicans.

There are a whole lot of people paying ZERO attention to politics, Biden's record etc... because they're just trying to make it through the day.  Imagine somebody struggling to put food on the table and gas in the tank who is checked out of politics, and they happen to catch a glimpse of Biden on the news bragging about how he's solved all these problems.  Any message of the successes of the Dems as of late had to be tempered with a heaping helping of 'we recognize people are still struggling and there's lots left to do'.  A "dem. celebration" would have been poorly received.  I don't think there was any world in which this would have been a slam dunk dem victory.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2022 at 6:34 AM, billeisele said:

Just wondering, do you feel the same about Nancy?

This is that thoughtless equivalency argument that gets thrown around so often, and it makes any serious discussion impossible.

"What?  You object to Putin invading Ukraine?  Once you get outraged about Albanese effectively invading Tasmania then I MIGHT take you seriously!  Until then you're a hypocrite."