2 2
brenthutch

Pfizer’s COVID pill

6 hours ago, lippy said:

...In March of 2021 she said that the data suggests that vaccines prevent infection and spread...

The original vaccine proved to be VERY effective at preventing infection.

The mRNA vaxes were over 90% effective. 

That is, over 90% of people vaxxed were protected from being infected by the virus.

Later variants were able to infect vaxxed people. 

But those later variants came out after her quoted statement. So her statement was accurate at the time it was made

I strongly suspect that someone knows this. 

I also strongly suspect he knows what VAERS is and does (and doesn't do).

He should know that the data is unverified. ANYONE can report ANYTHING.

The site itself says so. 

A report to VAERS generally does not prove that the identified vaccine(s) caused the adverse event described. It only confirms that the reported event occurred sometime after vaccine was given. No proof that the event was caused by the vaccine is required in order for VAERS to accept the report. 

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data/dataguide.html

It's very useful for what it is intended for.

But to pretend that the raw data can be used to determine the effectiveness or safety of a vaccine is pretty stupid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slim King said:

I'm certainly more successful. What good is an experimental injection if it doesn't actually IMMUNIZE anyone

Same reason that the polio vaccine has been a success, even though the first version of it was less effective than the COVID vaccines we use today.

Did you get a polio vaccine?

Why isn't she taking the new pill?

You don't know anything about Paxlovid, do you.  I'd recommend learning first, THEN posting.

14 hours ago, billvon said:

Again, learn FIRST then post.

But then he would have to give back his magic Trump decoder ring!

I'm sure you are aware that investing any time or effort at all in educating yourself automatically makes you an elitist and part of the deep state.  The only people who really know the truth are the people who refuse to learn anything factual.  The less you know, the smarter you are!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

But then he would have to give back his magic Trump decoder ring!

I'm sure you are aware that investing any time or effort at all in educating yourself automatically makes you an elitist and part of the deep state.  The only people who really know the truth are the people who refuse to learn anything factual.  The less you know, the smarter you are!

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, and Ignorance is Strength!

COVID confusion. While Pres Biden is getting his third booster he says, "Nearly every COVID death is preventable." July 21 , 2021 he said, "You won't get COVID if you're vaccinated."  The data says otherwise. 

In New Mexico last month 55% of COVID deaths were people that were vaccinated and fully boosted. 34% were people vaccinated but not fully boosted. 11% were unvaccinated people. Yep, small population, only 2 million people and only 1 month of data.

Minnesota, population 5.7 million, does a great job with data collection. Their vaccination and fatality data is: 43% of the population is fully boosted, 29% vaccinated and/or partially boosted, and 28% are unvaxed. Fully boosted are 68% of deaths, partial are 14% of deaths and unvaxed 18% of deaths.

All this says is it's impossible to state that vaccination and boosting stops COVID or that COVID deaths are preventable. Yep, it may prevent some deaths but there is no data that provides that info because it's not collected. The fact is that, currently, the majority of COVID deaths are with people that took the shot and/or  are fully boosted.

The Pres needs to stop lying. Those type statements undermine the confidence in the public health infrastructure. Honest and accurate info is needed.

The number of people injured or dead from the shot is a whole other story that continues to unfold.

26 minutes ago, billeisele said:

COVID confusion. While Pres Biden is getting his third booster he says, "Nearly every COVID death is preventable." July 21 , 2021 he said, "You won't get COVID if you're vaccinated."  The data says otherwise. 

Someone posted just yesterday that claims without unbiased citations in support are meaningless.

I wonder who it was.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, billeisele said:

The Pres needs to stop lying. Those type statements undermine the confidence in the public health infrastructure. Honest and accurate info is needed.

The number of people injured or dead from the shot is a whole other story that continues to unfold.

Your entire post shows that you really need to take a course in statistics and probability...you're throwing around a lot of numbers without realising what they really mean.

56 minutes ago, kallend said:

Someone posted just yesterday that claims without unbiased citations in support are meaningless.

I wonder who it was.

Yep, guilty. I read the publicly available data yesterday and didn't record the state web sites where it was located. 

51 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Your entire post shows that you really need to take a course in statistics and probability...you're throwing around a lot of numbers without realising what they really mean.

Hmmm....then please share your expertise.

I'm aware that holes can be put in the data. One big one is that there's no other background info on age, other medical conditions, age, pre-existing medical issues, variants. etc, etc. Regardless of that, the deaths are categorized as COVID not old age, heart attack, cancer or anything else. I could only quote what their data provided. And the July 2021 statement was before we knew what we know now. But the truth is there was enough info 14 months ago for us to know it was not an accurate statement.

The point was simple. The Pres has lied and continues to lie, and that undermines confidence in what's being stated.

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

" July 21 , 2021 he said, "You won't get COVID if you're vaccinated." 

15 months ago he either mis-stated at a time of great confusion, attempted to cajole a resisting population for the greater good, or just plain fucked up and you're just now going ballistic? 

38 minutes ago, billeisele said:

I'm aware that holes can be put in the data. One big one is that there's no other background info on age, other medical conditions, age, pre-existing medical issues, variants. etc, etc. Regardless of that, the deaths are categorized as COVID not old age, heart attack, cancer or anything else. I could only quote what their data provided. And the July 2021 statement was before we knew what we know now. But the truth is there was enough info 14 months ago for us to know it was not an accurate statement.

The point was simple. The Pres has lied and continues to lie, and that undermines confidence in what's being stated.

He didn't lie, he's clueless.

54 minutes ago, billeisele said:

I have limited time but sure:

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

Fully boosted are 68% of deaths, partial are 14% of deaths and unvaxed 18% of deaths.

All this says is it's impossible to state that vaccination and boosting stops COVID or that COVID deaths are preventable. Yep, it may prevent some deaths but there is no data that provides that info because it's not collected.

You're saying it's impossible, but you can use Bayes' Theorem to calculate the probability of dying if you're vaccinated and boosted, and if you're unvaccinated. The formula is P(A|B) =  P(B|A)P(A)/P(B).

There's no data that provides that info, not because it's not collected, but because you need to calculate it. Your focus on the percentage of people dying who are vaccinated and boosted shows that you really need to understand this section on the Bayes' theorem page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes'_theorem#Drug_testing

So while accusing Biden of lying while not being able to process the data provided is quite expected of a conservative, what would surprise me is if you actually took the time to learn the principles I provided with the links above. As it is, I won't hold my breath.

18 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I have limited time but sure:

You're saying it's impossible, but you can use Bayes' Theorem to calculate the probability of dying if you're vaccinated and boosted, and if you're unvaccinated. The formula is P(A|B) =  P(B|A)P(A)/P(B).

I wonder how many of our senators and representatives have even heard of Bayes?  MTG maybe xD