3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

1 hour ago, billvon said:

That's true for anyone who has to work in stressful environments - police, EMS, military, ER doctors.  Least we can do is pay them well.

Not disagreeing with you. Just adding to Kallend's point that not mandating seat belts will have negative consequences for other people. It will also increase the tax burden.

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Turtle, there are many countries you can move to which don't mandate any sort of construction standards. You are welcome to build whatever quality you wish, as is everyone else. There are states in the US with fewer construction standards (NH comes to mind). Just like any project, you can pretty much have anything you want, as long as you don't mind the cost and/or schedule. Just as you can have whatever cost, you want, as long as you don't mind the product and/or schedule, etc.

But wanting what you want, when you want it, where you want it; well, that only works if everyone else gets it too. Which means the goobers get what they want, too (as long as they can pay for it -- this is the US, where the possession of money is the actual final arbiter of everything :S).

Wendy P.

OK - so what I'm hearing everyone say is "Just go with it."  Don't speak out about how you want things to be - 

Just like you guys that are saying this kind of thing, accept Trump as he is and don't care if that is changed.  You'll just go with it.  It is only reasonable if you just let it happen.  Just roll over - we'll take care of it for you.

That's what you are suggesting?  That's what you'd have me do?

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

OK - so what I'm hearing everyone say is "Just go with it."  Don't speak out about how you want things to be

Just like you guys that are saying this kind of thing, accept Trump as he is and don't care if that is changed.  You'll just go with it.  It is only reasonable if you just let it happen.  Just roll over - we'll take care of it for you.

That's what you are suggesting?  That's what you'd have me do?

Yes, actually except you're free to say what you want about it and gripe all you want.  During the next election cycle you can do your part to change the things you want and get involved as much as you can.  I think you know that our subject matter, a catalytic converter, is a necessary pollution control measure (although a poor example of the point you're trying to make).

46 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

OK - so what I'm hearing everyone say is "Just go with it."  Don't speak out about how you want things to be.

Nope.  Speak all you like.  First Amendment and all that.  Perhaps just avoid condemning others for doing what you do.  That old mote and beam allegory comes to mind.

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Not disagreeing with you. Just adding to Kallend's point that not mandating seat belts will have negative consequences for other people. It will also increase the tax burden.

On a small but related tangent, I was just told by my municipality that when I build my new garage, it MUST be accented with brick fascia instead of vinyl siding.  These are the kinds of regulations that make my blood boil.  There's no reason for it whatsoever except forcing me to adopt the aesthetic that they decide.  For the record, my initial design had vinyl siding to match my home, with a 4 foot high (~1.3M for you normal folks) brick fascia to tie into the existing brick on my home.

9 minutes ago, yobnoc said:

On a small but related tangent, I was just told by my municipality that when I build my new garage, it MUST be accented with brick fascia instead of vinyl siding.  These are the kinds of regulations that make my blood boil.  There's no reason for it whatsoever except forcing me to adopt the aesthetic that they decide.  For the record, my initial design had vinyl siding to match my home, with a 4 foot high (~1.3M for you normal folks) brick fascia to tie into the existing brick on my home.

Municipality or HOA? 

That sort of 'aesthetic' requirement is something I haven't seen much with actual city governments. HOAs, are a different animal.

My city cares that people park cars on their own lawns, park non-registered cars out in the open (must be in a garage, not under a tarp), or have parts of the house with no siding at all. I had a neighbor take a collapsing porch off the front of his house. He didn't put anything over the area that the porch had covered, just the plywood sheeting. Maybe a year later the building inspector told him he had to do something. No rules on what that was, he put siding that matched the rest of the house (sort of). 

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

On a small but related tangent, I was just told by my municipality that when I build my new garage, it MUST be accented with brick fascia instead of vinyl siding. 

You MUST comply. Your neighbours are counting on your conformity. If they let the standards slip people from shithole countries might start homesteading.

27 minutes ago, yobnoc said:

This and the RV pad are why we didn't buy in an HOA. Fees are usually ridiculous to me as well. Nah. Pass.

18 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

You MUST comply. Your neighbours are counting on your conformity. If they let the standards slip people from shithole countries might start homesteading.

And home values!  Don't forget about home values!!!!  If someone doesn't use brick fascia, it will be just like Compton.

26 minutes ago, normiss said:

This and the RV pad are why we didn't buy in an HOA. Fees are usually ridiculous to me as well. Nah. Pass.

I don't live in an HOA.  This came from the city.  Appreciate the snarky humor :D

1 hour ago, yobnoc said:

Not sure.  It was relayed to me through my contractor.

I'd be researching that for accuracy. I'd be upset and surprised to find it to be accurate. I can't see it being a code issue for selecting your choice in siding either. Weird.

There's been plenty of well publicized cases of cities trying to tell citizens how they can and cannot paint their own homes.

The Starry Night Home was pretty close to us.

32 minutes ago, normiss said:

I'd be researching that for accuracy. I'd be upset and surprised to find it to be accurate. I can't see it being a code issue for selecting your choice in siding either. Weird.

There's been plenty of well publicized cases of cities trying to tell citizens how they can and cannot paint their own homes.

The Starry Night Home was pretty close to us.

22.012 - Residential brick veneer construction, when required.

Sec. 25-12. Brick veneer type construction shall be required of any new construction. On single-story structures all sides of the building shall have a full brick veneer finish. On two-story structures all sides of the building shall have a full brick veneer finish to a minimum height of the floor joist of the second floor. Additions to the rear of the property do not require brick veneer.

Found it...>:(

Interesting. Construction code? Historic district? Anything like that? Now I'm curious - FL has some interesting hurricane code requirements. A few of them are thorns in my side from when I did some remodeling.

9 minutes ago, normiss said:

Interesting. Construction code? Historic district? Anything like that? Now I'm curious - FL has some interesting hurricane code requirements. A few of them are thorns in my side from when I did some remodeling.

definitely neither of those things

10 minutes ago, normiss said:

Southeastern Michigan (Detroit suburbs) not known for any natural disasters, and I live in a modest 1950's built home.  Not an historic district either.

10 hours ago, yobnoc said:

Southeastern Michigan (Detroit suburbs

We find this from time to time when doing research on sign codes in different municipalities. Usually it is a city/county/town with a architectural review board or historic preservation committee some such.   

a side note here-a quick google search of the code told me what suburb. I actually graduated from Lakeshore High on 13 mile. We moved there when we bailed out of Detroit 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rick said:

We find this from time to time when doing research on sign codes in different municipalities. Usually it is a city/county/town with a architectural review board or historic preservation committee some such.   

a side note here-a quick google search of the code told me what suburb. I actually graduated from Lakeshore High on 13 mile. We moved there when we bailed out of Detroit 

I live at 9 and Harper right behind South Lake.  Trying to bail out of here within the next year to find warmer climate.  Hopefully Charleston.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Warmer climate?  According to NPR northern cities are preparing for an influx of climate refugees poring in from southern states.

I've never heard that on NPR. Can you link to a story or are you just expressing your "feels" again?

(edited)
3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

On second thought, 

"During April, the average contiguous U.S. temperature was 48.9°F, 2.2°F below the 20th century average, making it the 13th coldest April on record and the coldest since 1997. Record and near-record cold temperatures stretched from the Northern Plains to the Gulf Coast and Northeast"

(from NOAA)

For a whole month? For an important (USA) corner of Earth. 

Wow! that settles everything then, now doesn't it? Deniers, deadenders, same thing.

Edited by gowlerk