3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

3 minutes ago, DJL said:

Oh...sorry again.  So what are we doing here just saying that wind farms are bad in comparison to nothing.

No, I think the Physicist is triing to explain that there's no free Lunch when it comes to energy,Like the tailing ponds of coal plants this is the huge environmental  price we pay, for fanaticism and haste in the face of Fear.

Most likely, exactly where you wont see it.In some third word nation where the quality of life is pure Hell.

Bernies' State, Ultra Liberal Vermont just went Backwards.Closing a nuke power plant ramping up CO2 emitions and riasing prices.

How Progressive.

1 minute ago, richravizza said:

Bernies' State, Ultra Liberal Vermont just went Backwards.Closing a nuke power plant ramping up CO2 emitions and riasing prices.

How Progressive.

I used to live right next to that plant.  What's your question?

9 hours ago, billvon said:

If the right wing weren't afraid of her, there wouldn't be long threads of right wingers attacking her, hours and hours of programming on FOX News trying to discredit her, and right wing talking heads spending entire radio shows attacking her ideas.

Or maybe she just makes an easy target to attack democrats and liberal ideology, much like Trump makes an easy target to attack republicans and conservative ideology.

(edited)
18 minutes ago, DJL said:

I used to live right next to that plant.  What's your question?

There was no question.Its a fact, a Statement.Your Progessive state is so progessive its Regessive,That was my point.I lived in W.Germany during Chernobyl so whats up with that?do you have a question.

Edited by richravizza

(edited)
1 hour ago, richravizza said:

There was no question.Its a fact, a Statement.

I lived in W.Germany during Chernobyl what the Question?

You're questioning why the plant was shut down.  The answer is that it was an old piece of shit from a 1960's design, had been scheduled for decommissioning, the state blocked a continuance of its license and it was already losing money.  It was necessary for power production BUT rather than fight the case Entergy and the State decided to draw energy from NY and Canada for the grid.

So my statement is that you know nothing about VT Yankee and your accusation that the Bernie Bros chose dirty energy over nuke falls flats.  It was a needed change even if for a short term loss.  VT as of 2017 ranks #2 for renewable energy paired with a 50% reduction in use of oil and natural gas.

Edited by DJL

7 hours ago, richravizza said:

Run with that, Most of America knows she's a hypocrite,she lives in one of the best cities of America to take mass transit.

What does she do? Take a subway, Take a train to D.C.? a Bus to her office? Video conference?

Oh no.

Good choice on her part.  With all the hate being thrown at her by Trump supporters, she'd be attacked regularly.

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Watch the video before you opine.  He addressed that very issue.  My favorite quote, “cats don’t eat eagles, eagles eat cats.”

Wind turbines kill 140,000 to 328,000 birds a year.  

Nuclear power plants kill ~ 330,000 birds a year.  More than wind.

Fossil fuel power plants kill ~ 14 million.  60 times more than wind.

Domestic cats kill between 1.4 and 3.7 BILLION birds a year.  Over ten thousand times more.

Want to make a difference in bird kills?  Shut down fossil fuel plants and switch to wind.  60x improvement.

Want to make a BIG difference?  Pass laws that keep cats inside.  TEN THOUSAND fold improvement.

Don't really give a shit and just hate renewables?  Make a Youtube video and post it.

BTW it is NOT a denier video.  At no time does he even question AGW.

Of course it is.  The first video is from Friends Against Wind.  And on their website is this lovely article: "How renewables and the global warming industry are literally Hitler."

2 hours ago, richravizza said:

No, I think the Physicist is triing to explain that there's no free Lunch when it comes to energy

That's exactly right.  Wind isn't perfect.  It is merely much, much better than coal.

Most likely, exactly where you wont see it.In some third word nation where the quality of life is pure Hell.

Exactly.  The solution, like they mention in the video, is to source those materials from countries with higher safety and environmental standards.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, billvon said:
17 minutes ago, billvon said:

Of course it is.  The first video is from Friends Against Wind.  And on their website is this lovely article: "How renewables and the global warming industry are literally Hitler."

Did you even watch the TED talk?  Pay attention to the last two minutes.  It is possible to believe in AGW and be against large scale wind and solar.  Have you ever heard of nuclear power?

Edited by brenthutch
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, billvon said:

Come now, billvon, that sounds like good centrist material.

12 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Did you even watch the TED talk?  Pay attention to the last two minutes.  It is possible to believe in AGW and be against large scale wind and solar.  Have you ever heard of nuclear power?

Yes.  Let me post the title of that Friends against Wind article again.  This time I will highlight the part you missed:

"How renewables and the global warming industry are literally Hitler."

Nuclear power is great.  It's also the most expensive form of power we have, and has the longest lead time.  So I say go for it - but just be willing to pay far more for power.  And in the meantime we will need renewables.

14 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

He's a single issue horse.  I'm happy to hitch a wagon to him in the interest of growing the nuke sector but he very much makes his money purely by lobbying for the nuke industry.  We need a variety of energy sources and each have inherent downsides.  Nuke energy does not inherently eliminate environmental impacts.

8 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yes.  Let me post the title of that Friends against Wind article again.  This time I will highlight the part you missed:

Nuclear power is great.  It's also the most expensive form of power we have, and has the longest lead time.  So I say go for it - but just be willing to pay far more for power.  And in the meantime we will need renewables.

Germany chose wind and solar

France chose Nuclear

who has the cheapest energy?

France!  Case closed 

Just now, brenthutch said:

Germany chose wind and solar

France chose Nuclear

who has the cheapest energy?

France!  Case closed 

Lazard study, 2018, $/MWHR for new generation:

Nuclear $112-189

Gas combined cycle $41-$74

Onshore wind $29-56

Utility scale solar $36-44

Case closed.

However,  I support your right to pay more for nuclear power.  It's your money.

11 minutes ago, billvon said:

Lazard study, 2018, $/MWHR for new generation:

Nuclear $112-189

Gas combined cycle $41-$74

Onshore wind $29-56

Utility scale solar $36-44

Case closed.

However,  I support your right to pay more for nuclear power.  It's your money.

Funny how that doesn’t translate into the real world, besides I will keep my $22 MWHR natural gas for the next hundred years 

30 minutes ago, billvon said:

s.

I am shocked, SHOCKED!

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

Funny how that doesn’t translate into the real world, besides I will keep my $22 MWHR natural gas for the next hundred years 

And I'll keep my free solar.  We'll see who spends more in the long run.