3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

"

While rising carbon dioxide concentrations in the air can be beneficial for plants, it is also the chief culprit of climate change. The gas, which traps heat in Earth’s atmosphere, has been increasing since the industrial age due to the burning of oil, gas, coal and wood for energy and is continuing to reach concentrations not seen in at least 500,000 years. The impacts of climate change include global warming, rising sea levels, melting glaciers and sea ice as well as more severe weather events.

The beneficial impacts of carbon dioxide on plants may also be limited, said co-author Dr. Philippe Ciais, associate director of the Laboratory of Climate and Environmental Sciences, Gif-suv-Yvette, France. “Studies have shown that plants acclimatize, or adjust, to rising carbon dioxide concentration and the fertilization effect diminishes over time.”

(edited)
1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

The beneficial impacts of carbon dioxide on plants may also be limited, said co-author Dr. Philippe Ciais, associate director of the Laboratory of Climate and Environmental Sciences, Gif-suv-Yvette, France. “Studies have shown that plants acclimatize, or adjust, to rising carbon dioxide concentration and the fertilization effect diminishes over time.”

Yes, once the concentration of CO2 exceeds 600ppm, the fertilization effect levels off.

We still have quite a lot of upside left.

Edited by brenthutch

Just now, brenthutch said:

That is just the deep, thoughtful and intellectual contribution I have come to appreciate from your side.  Thank you for elevating the conversation.

So serious!  I thought the novelty of Bill Nye getting R-Rated was hilarious.  Apparently, your humorectomy was bigly successful...

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

That is just the deep, thoughtful and intellectual contribution I have come to appreciate from your side.  Thank you for elevating the conversation.

"Humor - it is a difficult concept."

"We learn by doing."

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Yes, once the concentration of CO2 exceeds 600ppm, the fertilization effect levels off.

Science is not your strongpoint is it. At least you are acknowledging that climate change is a thing now.

12 hours ago, brenthutch said:

This is accurate but it doesn't balance.  Plants won't grow in elevated temperatures just because there's more CO2 and they can't pick up and run North either.  We have very specific plants growing in very specific zones.

(edited)
11 hours ago, yobnoc said:

So serious!  I thought the novelty of Bill Nye getting R-Rated was hilarious.  Apparently, your humorectomy was bigly successful...

Looks like the joke is on you, AOC now claims this

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/01/22/ocasio-cortez_the_world_is_going_to_end_in_12_years_if_we_dont_address_climate_change.html

was a joke.  She went on to say,

"Like the “world ending in 12 years” thing, you’d have to have the social intelligence of a sea sponge to think it’s literal."

Edited by brenthutch

33 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/01/22/ocasio-cortez_the_world_is_going_to_end_in_12_years_if_we_dont_address_climate_change.html

"Like the “world ending in 12 years” thing, you’d have to have the social intelligence of a sea sponge to think it’s literal."

I'm not interested in defending the stream of consciousness that flows from her pie hole but this is a good example of the right jumping on every little thing she says as if she's declaring the 10 Commandments every time she opens her mouth.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

I'm not interested in defending the stream of consciousness that flows from her pie hole but this is a good example of the right jumping on every little thing she says as if she's declaring the 10 Commandments every time she opens her mouth.

The deniers can't take it. Snowflakes, all of 'em.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJL said:

She terrifies them.  She represents everything they fear - an intelligent, outspoken minority woman who isn't cowed by old white men, and who is bringing new ideas to the table.

Just now, billvon said:

She terrifies them.  She represents everything they fear - an intelligent, outspoken minority woman who isn't cowed by old white men, and who is bringing new ideas to the table.

New ideas are scary. That's where progress comes from. And progress means change. And change is bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billvon said:

She is also 'crowdfunding' her campaign. She doesn't need the 'big money' donors. 

So that crowd has no control over her.

THAT is what terrifies them.

• Like 1

(edited)
9 hours ago, brenthutch said:

She's young and inexperienced when it comes to this level of politics and scrutiny, and because of that she's some making mistakes on HOW she's getting her points across. She's publishing things as though they were jokey throw-aways on an internet forum - like the whole 'getting rid of airplanes and farting cows' nonsense. Most people got the sarcasm that time, but super conservatives like you deliberately misrepresent it in order to score political points and purposely devalue the rest of the message. It's pretty pathetic.

She'll learn to communicate better soon I suspect and then you'll be fucked.

Edited by yoink

45 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It didn’t sound like sarcasm in her original presentation.  It’s sad to see a SJW brought down by her own words.  Looks like Nancy has her progressive dog firmly leashed.

Don't worry. The two of them will be quietly working on a new thing to outrage you and yours.

58 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It didn’t sound like sarcasm in her original presentation.  It’s sad to see a SJW brought down by her own words. 

Oh, I don't think she's been "brought down" at all.  59% of the people in her district "are proud to have Ocasio-Cortez representing the district" - 61% think "she is moving us towards a more fair and just society."

Republicans hating her does not equal "been brought down" - indeed, it's a credit to her.  And your claim that you think such a claim is "sad" is about the most transparent misrepresentation I've seen here in a long time.

https://scri.siena.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/CD14release_final2518.pdf

53 minutes ago, billvon said:

Oh, I don't think she's been "brought down" at all.  59% of the people in her district "are proud to have Ocasio-Cortez representing the district" 

As Nancy said, “a glass of water with a D could win her district” and as I said, Nancy has her firmly on a leash.  She is a useful idiot to quote Lenin.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, yobnoc said:

Clearly your cranial/rectal inversion has yet to be resolved