billvon

Security risk from foreign terrorists

BIGUN

John Lott, president of the Crime Prevention Research Center, looked at data on prisoners in Arizona state prison between the beginning of 1985 and June 2017 and concluded that “undocumented immigrants are at least 146% more likely to be convicted of crime than other Arizonans.” They also tend to commit more serious crimes, and have significantly higher rates for such crimes as murder, manslaughter, sexual assault and armed robbery, Lott concluded, and are more likely to be gang members. Conversely, Lott found that legal immigrants “were extremely law-abiding,” committing crimes at a lower rate than native-born residents.

John Lott, aka "Mary Rosh", who was caught fabricating data for one of his articles. Hardly a credible source.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

BIGUN

Three of you have brought up enough evidence against Mr. Lott that I ask that post #10 be stricken from the record.

Your intellectual honesty is refreshing. And appreciated, at least by me.

If you are serious about changing the post, you can PM Billvon and ask him to edit or delete it. He's usually pretty good about that sort of thing.

Although, I do have to admit that the 6 hour (?) limit on edits is kinda cool. It makes it harder to go back and change stuff. Takes away the "I never said that" crap.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Your intellectual honesty is refreshing. And appreciated

Always. We need more honest discussion , because we all “know” stuff that just ain’t so.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Additionally it fundamentally shows that the learning and adaption modes of the brain have not become rigid.

I personally rail against stupid old white men. Even though women, young and other races. Can all exhibit wrong, inflexible ideas and thinking process.

When I reply to Marc about factually wrong ideas and statements. Its partially because I think there is still hope. But also because there is still flexibility in the minds of the trump fence sitters. Maybe, hopefully.

Finally, its refreshing to think that anyone actually reads the links that I post.

Let’s teach 1 million teenagers how to spot fake news by 2020
https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/424392-lets-teach-1-million-teenagers-how-to-spot-fake-news-by-2020

"That’s why this year MediaWise, which is funded by Google.org, will be teaching a new generation of kids to become skilled evaluators of digital content....

Manipulated photos and videos flood social media, hoaxers are able to compete with legitimate news sources, and foreign countries are attacking our country with disinformation. It’s no wonder teens are so confused as to what to believe online.

It has reached a chronic level, too. In a 2016 study from Stanford University, researchers evaluated students' ability to assess information sources. The researchers described the results as "dismaying," "bleak" and "[a] threat to democracy."

MediaWise wants to change this, though. As part of the Google News Initiative, it aims to teach 1 million teenagers how to spot fake news on the internet by 2020, with at least half of them coming from underserved or low-income communities.

“If misinformation on the internet is a disease,” says Katy Byron, editor and program manager of MediaWise, “then MediaWise is like the Red Cross.”

This will be a challenge. Because spotting fake news requires not only a open, critical mind. But more importantly a broad enough range of information to set a initial alarm bell, so to speak off. A warning that sets a person off into the internet to find out if something is true or not.

I used to subscribe to the Economist. But i had to give it up because it took too long to read. At page three there would be a story on aluminum production overcapacity. So off i would go searching the aluminum markets to find the missing facts of the story. Three to four hours later I could turn to page four.

It was like a disease . but the Economist still sends me free offers.

kallend

Would this be in addition to, or instead of, spelling and grammar?

They don't need any of that. As long as they learn math.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/424392-lets-teach-1-million-teenagers-how-to-spot-fake-news-by-2020

I advocate firearm responsibility and gun control through NRA certified instruction.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I advocate firearm responsibility and gun control through NRA certified instruction.

Something tells me Ron wouldn't be too keen about the Richmond Southside schools next to my office teaching the students how to properly handle firearms.

Edit: And considering what I hear all night long they're having issues with trigger discipline.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

SkyDekker

The NRA are big gun rights supporters until black people start carrying guns.

It's kind of cute how he probably envisions this fatherly scenario where a teacher is showing a youth the responsibilities involved in firearms ownership and use as the sound of Lee Greenwood music echoes softly down the hallways.

RonD1120

Of course you do....

Because you don’t seem to understand the difference between a critical life skill which everyone requires to be part of society, like literacy or numeracy, and an elective hobby for a subset of the population which has no relevance in most careers.

Would you be OK if we taught ALL hobbies with the same classroom time as your firearm responsibility class? I’m sure the video game one would be popular - not so sure about stamp collecting.

You must be completely paranoid Ron, always in fear.
So much so that you don't trust your god and feel the need to have weapons.

This approach to guns and god has always confused me.

I let my conceal carry expire years ago.
I quickly realized I wsan't paranoid enough to require carrying a weapon on my person.

normiss

You must be completely paranoid Ron, always in fear.
So much so that you don't trust your god and feel the need to have weapons.

This approach to guns and god has always confused me.

I let my conceal carry expire years ago.
I quickly realized I wsan't paranoid enough to require carrying a weapon on my person.

I too have experienced some confusion. After I left the military I did not have any firearms in my life until 1978. At that time I was in fear of my life due to the outlaw environment in Taos NM. When I left and moved to Lee Vining CA and was born again in 1981 the use of firearms completely left my thinking.

In 2008 the Holy Spirit brought weapons back into my awareness and life through my stepson. When he obtained a CC permit I got one also.

When we moved to GA I discovered that most of my friends had CC permits and I renewed mine here.

In addition, I became part of the gun culture and became a member of Georgia Gun Owners and the local gun club as well as the NRA.

I believe we are being guided in preparation. I am not at all paranoid. I am prepared.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

airdvr

This question is for all of you who don't want the wall built. Why? Honestly...why do you care whether or not there is a wall on our southern border?

IMO a chain link fence is appropriate. So it would slow down intentional foot traffic and prohibit vehicle transit.

Democrats have no issue with a fence. $50 billion for a wall that you can dig under, or climb over. Both in short order. Is stupid. No offense intended.

The latest versions of trump's "steel barrier" aka wall. Can be climbed over using a ladder in two minutes. Five or six strong men can tunnel under trump's proposed steel wall in, perhaps two hours. Subsequently traffic under the wall is a couple seconds delay.

Israel has up to 25' high one foot thick concrete walls. That and underground sensors to prevent tunneling.Only a similar wall will defeat any amount of effort by a determined individual with 1/2 a brain.

What you don't acknowledge. What trump refuses to acknowledge. Is that overstays by properly documented visa holders is a bigger source of illegals. Than those that cross the southern border. Plus the fifty or more talking points by trump to sell a stupid election lie.

p.s. I thought by the tome of one of your posts last week that you were starting to see the light. That perhaps FOX was turned off for a couple days. ??

p.s.s. Recent reporting has trump hiring 17 new lawyers in the WH to handle all the investigations. All part his job creation promises?

airdvr

This question is for all of you who don't want the wall built. Why? Honestly...why do you care whether or not there is a wall on our southern border?

The CPB is under staffed and under trained so adding wall is pointless if they can't react anyway. It then doesn't address the fact twice as many illegals remain as overstays on their visas as are apprehended attempting to cross the border, there is little data on successful border crossings.

The biggest issue is that no addition of wall has shown to have any effect on the total number of border crossings. The only solution really is a 100% wall from coast to coast but first that's not going to happen because of land use and terrain, next it still needs a much larger CPB roster to react, finally that combination becomes very expensive for the small improvement in apprehensions (the last 10-15% that it would potentially stop).

Finally, none of this speaks to the prime motivator of illegal immigration from South and Central America which is poverty, crime, war, etc. That 25bn and the 4bn yearly could easily go to diplomatic and financial investments in target countries that would provide us with advantageous trade and commerce relationship and also quell the turmoil that they flee from.

All of our history shows us that if they want to get here they'll find a way. "The Wall" is not an illegal immigration plan, it's a campaign chant.

airdvr

Why don't you ask the GOP Congressman whose district includes 820 miles along the Mexican border?

https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-rep-will-hurd-represents-more-of-the-border-than-anyone-else-and-opposes-trumps-wall-2019-1
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

DJL

***This question is for all of you who don't want the wall built. Why? Honestly...why do you care whether or not there is a wall on our southern border?

The CPB is under staffed and under trained so adding wall is pointless if they can't react anyway. It then doesn't address the fact twice as many illegals remain as overstays on their visas as are apprehended attempting to cross the border, there is little data on successful border crossings.

The biggest issue is that no addition of wall has shown to have any effect on the total number of border crossings. The only solution really is a 100% wall from coast to coast but first that's not going to happen because of land use and terrain, next it still needs a much larger CPB roster to react, finally that combination becomes very expensive for the small improvement in apprehensions (the last 10-15% that it would potentially stop).

Finally, none of this speaks to the prime motivator of illegal immigration from South and Central America which is poverty, crime, war, etc. That 25bn and the 4bn yearly could easily go to diplomatic and financial investments in target countries that would provide us with advantageous trade and commerce relationship and also quell the turmoil that they flee from.

All of our history shows us that if they want to get here they'll find a way. "The Wall" is not an illegal immigration plan, it's a campaign chant.

It was an honest question. I don't watch any of the MSM news shows. I just don't care at this point. I'd rather we build a wall and have everyone STFU about it.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Waste of money.
Only 6 terrorists have been caught on the border, $% billion seems a bit much for only 6 people.
Drugs don't come in that way.
Immigration is already lower than it's been for quite some time anyway.
Flint Michigan still doesn't have safe drinking water.
Not everyone has access to healthcare.
Veteran services are still underfunded.
Technology and logic would produce better results.
Tunnels.
Cost of eminent domain legalities could easily double the cost.
Because it's flat out fucking stoopid.
Should be some new indictments coming down soon.
Immigration is what the USA does.
Ladders.
Torches.
Saws.
Tunnels.
$4 billion dollar loss to the economy per year.
Didn't work in New York.
Illegal immigration down 90% in 18 years - seems it's not the crisis we're led to believe it is.

I have routers to route, but this list could go on.
The turtle will still hide in his shell though.

airdvr

It was an honest question. I don't watch any of the MSM news shows. I just don't care at this point. I'd rather we build a wall and have everyone STFU about it.

It was an honest question?

Your second two sentences subsequent to the above(?). Define your question as a lie.

Obviously I was foolish to imagine the possibility that you were molded differently than Marc, trump, etc.

ryoder

***This question is for all of you who don't want the wall built. Why? Honestly...why do you care whether or not there is a wall on our southern border?

Why don't you ask the GOP Congressman whose district includes 820 miles along the Mexican border?

https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-rep-will-hurd-represents-more-of-the-border-than-anyone-else-and-opposes-trumps-wall-2019-1

This republican has all of the answers. Put him, Pelosi and Schumer in a room together and a comprehensive agreement on southern border security could be ascertained in a day.

He was featured in a 20 minute interview the other day on CNBC.
Every answer was spot on. He knows the issues.

airdvr

At this point the "wall" has become a symbol. On both sides. The nativists and Stephen Miller types don't care that it would be ineffective and wasteful. They want to send a message to the world. They want to win this battle.

The majority are not willing to allow this. They also understand the symbolism and find it abhorrent. There are all kinds of practical reasons not to build the wall. The money matters. But most people would not care so much what the government wastes money on, like you seem to be saying. The fight is not over the money, the fight is over what America is and will be.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.