airdvr

National Anthem Protest

Last week the media was reporting that the Dotard base was burning their red hats out of disappointment over his failure to deport the dreamers ASAP. This week it's all about a different set of outsiders. Black athletes. "Ungrateful" is the new "uppity". Mission accomplished, subject changed.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

normiss

Hey Jerry,
Yours is the latest post, so replying in order!

My wife's dad, a Nam Marine LT who lead artillery in Nam posted this:

I, Dick Stier, will "take a knee" with the NFL players. When I joined the Marine Corps in 1962, I swore to uphold our Constitution. I am a Patriot, having honorably served in combat doing what my country expected. I did not swear to sing the anthem, salute the flag, pledge allegiance, stand, sit or hold my hand over my heart. Those are important and meaningful expressions of pride and tradition, but they are not the law of the land. Also in 1962, one could feel the beginning of the equal rights movement. I naively thought that equality among Americans would be in place within 20 years or so. I was wrong, wrong and wrong.....if you're honest you will have to agree. Fifty five years later (55 !) African Americas are again pushing the rest of us to deliver on the promise. One man, a single professional football player chose to express his feelings. He did not harm anyone....he did not defame anyone...he did not violate a law....he did not 'flip the bird'. Instead, he took advantage of our Constitution's free speech clause by simply kneeling during the singing of our anthem. Many thought he showed disrespect toward our country. I think he, and the others who followed him are Patriots because they are trying to improve our country. I thought he showed sublime courage and poetic intelligence. More of us should "take a knee".

IMO, he's entirely correct and one of the men I have respected most in my life.

I couldn't agree more. Also a Vietnam vet, but I didn't fight for my country. I fought for a small country in SE Asia. Had I fought for my country, I'm guessing that I wouldn't have been spit at upon my return to the USA.
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

>It is a sign of respect for your country and the people who fought and died for it.

So is kneeling. Do you kneel for things you respect?

>This new spirit is we are all victims and it is somebody else's fault. It is disgusting.

Agreed. There are some very sad people out there who think they are "victims" of NFLers who aren't politically correct.

Michael Savage had a good suggestion yesterday, simply remove the playing of the national anthem at major sporting events.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Michael Savage had a good suggestion yesterday, simply remove the playing of the national anthem at major sporting events.

Considering the patriotism on display has only been since 2009 in the NFL and only because the various branches paid for it. Basically the NFL figured patriotism made money.

I get a decent kick out of all these idiots who find this faux patriotism so important. Because wanting to make your country better is disrespectful and standing up so the NFL can make more money is patriotism. Bunch of idiots.

RonD1120

Oh absolutely. Then you can stop being victimized by those players not reacting to the anthem in exactly the way you want them to.:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

normiss

It's a social injustice protest, not a National Anthem protest.
A fully protected constitutional right.
Seems every owner besides Jerry Jones (surprise? LOL) supports it.

When I signed up for the Navy, I raised my right hand and swore to protect those rights. I still do.

Ok
You seem to think you have this nailed down so help me out.

What, exactly, are they protesting?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Ron is a good fit for NASCAR.

1. Lots of confederate symbols waving in the wind.
2. Hats removed and right hand covering the heart during the national anthem.
3. Flypast of military aircraft at end of anthem.
4. Pre-race Invocation. Because NASCAR is a private organization they get away with it.
5. No Blacks to be seen.

Keeping up national anthem controversy, Trump touts NASCAR's patriotism
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politics/donald-trump-national-anthem-nascar/index.html

Dale Earnhardt Jr. the most popular driver in NASCAR, who is retiring this year, tweeted:
Dale Earnhardt Jr.

@DaleJr

All Americans R granted rights 2 peaceful protests
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable-JFK
5:54 AM - Sep 25, 2017

Credit to him.

Given it's a blind link, there's zero reference without clicking the blind link. A blind link could be entirely unrelated to the discussion.
I still haven't clicked it either. I don't like blind links.
I blame years of technology work and not clicking on blind links due to risk more than unrelated conversational nonsense though.

normiss

That now, but the original protests were against social racial injustice in the country.

Do you still believe hands up don't shoot is real?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Erm... It's not a link, Mark. It's a citation to two verses in the Bible (specifically, the Old Testament). You don't "click it".

It is as though I wrote "Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban, page 34", although with a slightly better known text.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Skwrl

It was a specific response to a specific person posting. Sorry if you didn't get the reference.

I think normiss was responding to Quade's blind link and probably clicked reply on your post by mistake.

And I agree. I don't click on links with no context either.

To those of us that don't believe in the writings of the bible, any reference to a specific part without the content is a blind link IMO. (as well as the few co-workers I just asked)
FYI - I've not read any of the Harry Potter stuff either.
Not a big fan of that type of fiction...hmmm...these two subjects now feel the same to me.
:D

normiss

To those of us that don't believe in the writings of the bible, any reference to a specific part without the content is a blind link IMO. (as well as the few co-workers I just asked)
Not a big fan of that type of fiction...hmmm...these two subjects now feel the same to me.

Well, I didn't know what it was either.

But it was worth a "copy & paste" over to Google.

The verse is interesting.

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.

The "fun" thing about the Bible is that there is a quote for just about every point of view.

This particular one advocates speaking up for those who are being discriminated against.

You know, kinda like those NFL guys are doing.

Apparently, there was a woman singing the SSB who had that written on her hand while she was performing. While players were kneeling.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

normiss

Well, again, since - as I mentioned - it wasn't directed to you...

I'm still perplexed, though. I mean it wasn't hyperlinked; how can non-hyperlinked text be a "blind link"? I mean... it's not a *link*. It's a reference (citation) to another text. You couldn't click it even if you wanted to!

I mean, if I wrote:

Hamlet, Act III, Scene II.

Is that a blind link? If so, how? You can't click it even if you wanted to. If you read it and you remembered the scene, you might understand that I was implying something. If you hadn't read it or didn't remember that part of the play in particular, you might (a) look it up via Google (since you can't just click it!) or (b) ignore it altogether. Either way - hey, it's not a link, so you can't click it and explode your computer.

P.S., just because someone quotes the Bible - or any other work - it doesn't mean they believe all, some, or none of it. It just means that they read it and remembered the quote (or in this case, was reminded of the quote) well enough to bother mentioning it. I mean, it's not a character flaw to be well read, right?

wolfriverjoe

***To those of us that don't believe in the writings of the bible, any reference to a specific part without the content is a blind link IMO. (as well as the few co-workers I just asked)

Well, I didn't know what it was either.

But it was worth a "copy & paste" over to Google.

The verse is interesting.

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.

The "fun" thing about the Bible is that there is a quote for just about every point of view.

This particular one advocates speaking up for those who are being discriminated against.

You know, kinda like those NFL guys are doing.

Apparently, there was a woman singing the SSB who had that written on her hand while she was performing. While players were kneeling.

Aaaaand, someone gets it. Huzzah.

Hence the use of "IMO".
It's a reference you would have to understand - I don't so to me it was as if it's a blind link.
It means nothing without knowledge of the reference.

Actually upon further consideration, given the source, it still means nothing to me.
:D:D