airdvr

National Anthem Protest

Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Personally I believe the players are employees and if directed by their employer not to kneel they shouldn't. Interesting tidbit...prior to 2009 the players weren't on the field for the anthem. Only after the NFL was paid by some branches of the Armed Forces to have patriotic demonstrations as recruiting tools were the players present.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/yp89dj/stephen-a-smith-points-out-nfls-paid-patriotism-problem
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Personally I believe the players are employees and if directed by their employer not to kneel they shouldn't.

Maybe so. Which means the dotard is correct. They could be fired. Which means it is the fault of the owners for allowing their paid servants to be uppity instead of knowing their place of subservience.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Personally I believe the players are employees and if directed by their employer not to kneel they shouldn't.

Maybe so. Which means the dotard is correct. They could be fired. Which means it is the fault of the owners for allowing their paid servants to be uppity instead of knowing their place of subservience.

Way to play the race card without actually playing the race card.[:/]

Destinations by Roxanne

It's a social injustice protest, not a National Anthem protest.
A fully protected constitutional right.
Seems every owner besides Jerry Jones (surprise? LOL) supports it.

When I signed up for the Navy, I raised my right hand and swore to protect those rights. I still do.

Good thing the employers are supporting the players then.

Only after the NFL was paid by some branches of the Armed Forces to have patriotic demonstrations as recruiting tools were the players present.

And doesn't that just put everything into context?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

normiss

When I signed up for the Navy, I raised my right hand and swore to protect those rights. I still do.

I wonder how your employer (USN) would have reacted if you chose to kneel during the playing of our National Anthem?

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

******Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Exactly what the POTUS is doing. You've got it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

*********Interested in everyone's thoughts.

If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL,or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect....

Sorry...I didn't see anything about race in the tweet.

Destinations by Roxanne

jimjumper

Disrespect only fosters more disrespect. That applies to both sides of this argument. If you wish to protest don't disrespect the very symbols of the system that allows you to protest.

I agree with the first two sentences. The last sentence,no.

The contracted agents of the NFL, the players, are what feeds the NFL machine. Its amusing to hear trump, who never played in any organized team sport in his life. Talk about hitting. Yap about respect and patriotism.

But this is the same fumbler in chief that said he liked military personnel that were never taken as POW's. Better than John McCain.

I'm still trying to wrap my thinking around the Oakland Raiders who sat during the national anthem in last nights game. But its a protest that was non-violent and that doesn't make them any less of a US citizen.

Let's step back a bit further:

Why is the national anthem played at all?
Now in an event like the Olympics, where each team represents a nation, I can understand it.

But an NFL game is a competition between the employees of two privately-owned teams, both from the same country.
What the hell does this have to do with patriotism???:S

In my view, the meaning of national anthem is being diluted by overuse here.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

airdvr

************Interested in everyone's thoughts.

If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL,or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect....

Sorry...I didn't see anything about race in the tweet.

If the NFL wants the privilege, the benefit, the profits, of contracting a NFL player to play, they should not ask him to set aside constitutional rights and freedoms. Or insert any such clause in his contract.

Iago

***Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Personally I believe the players are employees and if directed by their employer not to kneel they shouldn't. Interesting tidbit...prior to 2009 the players weren't on the field for the anthem. Only after the NFL was paid by some branches of the Armed Forces to have patriotic demonstrations as recruiting tools were the players present.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/yp89dj/stephen-a-smith-points-out-nfls-paid-patriotism-problem

These are professional athletes and playing pro sports is their job. You keep your personal politics out of your job. And yes, an employer has every right to fire you for your personal politics.

Which has happened many times. The difference here is, these are rich spoiled athletes that the owners need on the field to win games... But hit a woman, and they kick you to the curb.

Well, I'm sure Hillary did it first since you're changing the subject.
In this case, the employer is supporting the players.

I have never burned a flag nor not shown any disrespect for the National Anthem, I actually stand at attention and salute.
I'm not sure how that affects everyone else exercising their constitutional rights though.

I've also never called black protestors son of a bitches while praising white nationalist racists as fine people.

It's beyond time to end the social injustice.
Or just wait until all the angry white people die off and/or become the minority themselves, because they are.

Akin to similar activities (like US currency imprinted with "In God We Trust") it was inserted during the 1950s - the golden age and second renaissance of right-wing white men rule.

Now a couple of decades later, the dumbass portion of the populace believes it to have always been that way.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

normiss

Well, I'm sure Hillary did it first since you're changing the subject.
In this case, the employer is supporting the players.

I have never burned a flag nor not shown any disrespect for the National Anthem, I actually stand at attention and salute.
I'm not sure how that affects everyone else exercising their constitutional rights though.

I've also never called black protestors son of a bitches while praising white nationalist racists as fine people.

It's beyond time to end the social injustice.
Or just wait until all the angry white people die off and/or become the minority themselves, because they are.

Of course the NFL is supporting the players. They recognize the fumbler in chief's attempt to distract,change the subject from losing ,Russia, and rally white pseudo-nationalists.

trump's speech was all about nationalism, uncompromising ideology and disrespect. Disrespect for any viewpoint other than US vs them. For his rallies disrespect, waving the flag, etc. are all part and parcel of the appeal.

Its sort of like Michael Buffer announcing a UFC fight. trump uses the same crowd stoking concepts of emphasizing nicknames. Except for trump its to degenerate, to mock and to create the illusion that he is above those ideas.

airdvr

Without reading any other comments on this I have to ask.

If, as so many have said during this debacle, sports should stay out of politics, then why are we playing the National Anthem at sporting events in the first place?

With Canada as an exception and probably only due to its proximity to the US, almost every other country that does this sort of thing is an oppressive regime.

Other countries will play their National Anthems at international sporting events, but routine flag waving and obligatory pledges of fielty at everyday events is normally something employed by totalitarian regimes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Phil1111

The contracted agents of the NFL, the players, are what feeds the NFL machine. Its amusing to hear trump, who never played in any organized team sport in his life. Talk about hitting. Yap about respect and patriotism.

Trump: Today if you hit too hard—15 yards! Throw him out of the game! They had that last week. I watched for a couple of minutes. Two guys, just really, beautiful tackle. Boom, 15 yards! The referee gets on television—his wife is sitting at home, she’s so proud of him. They’re ruining the game! They’re ruining the game. That’s what they want to do. They want to hit. They want to hit! It is hurting the game."

Trump Jr: If only Roger Goodell cared as much about domestic abuse and traumatic brain injury as he does about disrespecting America.

Alrighty then...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Whatever misguided adolescent message the NFL is trying to promote, it is not working. All they are doing is fueling the fire and making more and more folks angry. Many of my friends are tuning out pro football. And now there is a move to boycott their sponsors. What does it all mean? SHTF is coming boys, get ready.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

airdvr

I think the commander in chief should have better things to occupy his attention and the owners should have replied to his tweet with 'shut the fuck up and do your job. Let us do ours.'

Who gives a shit, really? Until the President waded in, these types of protests were a storm in a teacup. They were generally ignored.

But now it's a THING and everyone has to have a position on it purely because Trump can't go a day without making bold statements on something. (It's how he measures that he's managing stuff).

yoink

because Trump can't go a day without making bold statements on something. (It's how he measures that he's managing stuff).

Meanwhile, in Puerto Rico an entire US territory is devastated and little is being done.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver