skycop

The American police officer

JerryBaumchen

Hi mcordell,

a government which is responsible for the cold blooded murder of over 11 million people?

While I usually agree with your posts on here, this one I must take exception to.

That was the Third Reich; it is not the German 'government' of today.

Jerry Baumchen

And most officers aren't the officers in Albuquerque. Both comparisons are equally ridiculous. I know the German government of today isn't the same. I felt perhaps pointing out a blanket generalization based on the actions of some radicals might exemplify the ridiculous nature of his comments. I didn't make that clear and that's my mistake.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

A follow-up. Try to explain this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCzT4njsyH4

And it is ok if cops crap their pants. It is not ok, if somebody dies because cops are too afraid and ill-equipped to handle an escalating situation.

I realize your superior intellect I know any resistance on my part is futile, but I'm going to give it the old college try.

American police deal with an armed populace, the German police largely do not. But I'm sure you knew that, and given your comments on two man patrols vs. one man, you have the skill and knowledge to make a difference.

I'd suggest you check the link Normiss posted in a thread addressing police involved shootings. The Polizei don't deal anywhere near the volume of armed encounters that us yanks deal with, but again with superior intelligence, I know, you know that.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of my intellect being superior. :)

And I also agree w/ the points you make. I do think that US cops are poorly trained, and that they are a rather stupid bunch.

I also understand that they are afraid. Maybe we could all make them feel more comfortable by severely curtailing gun possession? Like from 300M down to 3M?

Of course citizens/criminals won't turn their guns in if asked nicely. They are not afraid of the cops.

So, let's tax guns. At $500 a piece per year. You don't pay; the IRS comes after you. And I haven't met anybody not being afraid of the IRS...:)

skycop

A follow-up. Try to explain this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCzT4njsyH4

And it is ok if cops crap their pants. It is not ok, if somebody dies because cops are too afraid and ill-equipped to handle an escalating situation.

I realize your superior intellect I know any resistance on my part is futile, but I'm going to give it the old college try.

American police deal with an armed populace, the German police largely do not. But I'm sure you knew that, and given your comments on two man patrols vs. one man, you have the skill and knowledge to make a difference.

I'd suggest you check the link Normiss posted in a thread addressing police involved shootings. The Polizei don't deal anywhere near the volume of armed encounters that us yanks deal with, but again with superior intelligence, I know, you know that.

mpohl

Huh? Where? When?

Enlighten me. When did I attack you personally?
If so, I will immediately ask the mods to ban me.

Perhaps I misunderstood. Here's a couple examples.

So, your life is worth $5k or less. Budget constraints; I can understand that. Actually, I would peg it at $2k at the most.

Here it appears you told AnvilBrother that you estimated his life to be worth no more thank $2000. That seems like an unnecessary dig at someone who was trying to explain why budget constraints do not allow for two officers in every car.

I do think that US cops are poorly trained, and that they are a rather stupid bunch.

Here it seems that while you knew you were engaged in discussion with, among others, a few police officers, you referred to us as "a rather stupid bunch".

Now I am just a lowly sheriff deputy and as such it seems you feel I lack the intellectual ability to grasp the meaning behind your writing, however it does seem to me that both of these were personal attacks.

I realize I have as much of a chance of changing your mind, as I do convincing Occupy Wall Street to invest in the stock market. (Although many of them are, and either don't know it or won't admit it.)

But I digress

I do think that US cops are poorly trained

Since my training record is three pages long, some of the in-service classes I've taken have given me numerous credit hours, (the academy gave me more than a semester, and that was a LONG time ago , it's more now), yep we're poorly trained

and that they are a rather stupid bunch

Police work is no different than other occupations, we all have "that guy" in our professions.

I'll give you an example of my circle of friends and fellow officers, there are;

A patent holder
A minor league baseball coach
A former touring musician, a musical director and youth pastor.
Guys with bachelor degrees (no numerous to list individually)
Guys with master degrees (at least 5)
Four guys with Juris Doctorates
These are guys and gals I know personally, I work with most of them.

Yep we are a stupid bunch.

So, let's tax guns. At $500 a piece per year. You don't pay; the IRS comes after you. And I haven't met anybody not being afraid of the IRS...:)

That's a rather totalitarian statement, and I'm the oppressor?

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of my intellect being superior. :)

No surprise there, you can't reason with a zealot.

You have a nice day!

FWIW I have a Bachelors of Science in Forensic Psychology and worked in IT before law enforcement. When I went into the Army I scored a 99 on the ASVAB but chose to join the infantry because that is where I felt I belonged. Based on the test validity studies of the ASVAB, I'd say it's a very good indicator of vocational aptitude.

I didn't join the military (or choose my MOS), and subsequently go into law enforcement because I was stupid. I did so because I'm passionate about serving my country and community in the best way I can. To diminish my service in such a manner is insulting. I don't expect people to thank me (in fact it makes me uncomfortable), but I can't help but take offense to being compared to Muslim extremists or being referred to as stupid.

What's most ironic is that it's the people he is insulting that have put their life on the line to ensure the citizens of this country have the right to speak out against the government and who have sworn to uphold that "200 year old document" that grants those freedoms. I say go ahead and sit back in your chair and lob insults. When you have the balls to step up to the plate and make a difference in the world then your opinion will matter to me.

Anvilbrother

Wher does all your anger come from?

If you were desperately trying to maintain all those ridiculous and insulting stereotypes he's convinced people are

then you'd be mad too

especially when you meet 'real life' people and find out no one meets the caricatures you've been indoctrinated into believing

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You write as though you are incapable of dealing with the thought that police officers are individuals with he differences and rights that implies. That's normally described by the term prejudice. I'm guessing you're OK with being a prejudiced person? :)
There are bad ones, mediocre ones, good ones, great ones. Stupid, smart, etc. The nature of the job requires people who are comfortable with the rules as they stand. Unfortunately, that means that in complex situations where the rules as they stand can't be applied easily, things get hard.

But I'd be very hard pressed to say that police officers are either all, or even average, less intelligent than any other given person. Including you, and maybe even billvon (although I think he's pretty friggin' smart).

Mcordell has accorded you far more consideration than I would have in his position.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Seems that this thread has basically been reduced to 5-10 participants. Of course, we can be at each others throat until the cows come home.

Ultimately, the American people will decide.
And there is less and less support for law enforcement as it is administered/discharged today.

Let's keep in mind that I and my fellow citizens, regardless of color/race/ethnicity, are paying for LE, for your salaries.

It doesn't make any sense to shoot the ones paying you!!!!

End of Story!

And there is less and less support for law enforcement as it is administered/discharged today.

The media doing its job at selling ad's yes.

Let's keep in mind that I and my fellow citizens, regardless of color/race/ethnicity, are paying for LE, for your salaries.

As long as you admit without LE keeping the criminals at bay every town in the US would be the wild west and middle east rolled up into a ball.

The only thing that doesn't make any sense is this quote.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Feel free to hit your head on an anvil, brother!

Seems that's what you do best.

Anvilbrother

The media doing its job at selling ad's yes.

***Let's keep in mind that I and my fellow citizens, regardless of color/race/ethnicity, are paying for LE, for your salaries.

As long as you admit without LE keeping the criminals at bay every town in the US would be the wild west and middle east rolled up into a ball.

The only thing that doesn't make any sense is this quote.

>Bill how the fuck is this guy still here?

Same reason this guy is still here:

"are you high right now?"
"you are speaking about things you have no clue about"
"let the hate flow through you"

However, Mpohl and Anvil, consider this your one warning(s).

Anvilbrother

Feel free to hit your head on an anvil, brother!

Seems that's what you do best.

So you dont even try to respond....Just PA everyone. Bill how the fuck is this guy still here?

If you keep feeding a troll, he will keep coming back.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It's interesting, I've had my meals paid for three times by people who wanted to show support since this mess started. Several people have been nice enough to come up and actually say they support us and appreciate what we do. Haven't seen this kind of support since Sept. 11th.

The two who decided to invoke Ferguson and make outlandish statements were both involved in criminal activity. One was harboring a fugitive, the other had outstanding warrants. Go figure.....:S

I'll leave you with this take on policing;

20% of the population will support law enforcement pretty much all the time, this is the law and order crowd.

20% of the population is usually not very supportive, this group can be broken down into several sub-groups. The far left has always disliked the police and make no bones about it, I'm good with that. Questioning authority is a good thing. The far right is a bit disingenuous, some claim to be supportive but are really not. They are the type who know better and will snipe when given the opportunity. The MRAP is a perfect example with this group, have one and you are coming to take their guns. Don't have one and if an incident happens which requires one, and you don't have it, you're unprepared.
Also in this 20% are small groups on both sides, they are VERY vocal and can never be satisfied. The Occupy and Infowars folks are examples.

This leaves the remaining 60%, they are people capable of making informed decisions, based on information and reason. These type people make up most jury pools and are the ones LEO's try to please the most.

The funny thing is all these groups receive the same amount of service regardless of what they say. A cop would gladly put himself in harms way for any of these groups.

Okay,
You're point is?

This had been discussed ad-nauseam, when a cop does something wrong it's front page news.
How many other occupations have sites dedicated to their mistakes.

800,000 cops in the US, millions of contacts yearly, many under extremely difficult circumstances. This is the best you can do?

Plus the free thought project, photography is not a crime, and counter current news aren't exactly objective sources.

Like I've said, the internet makes everyone an expert..............

Yea that's totally the same as

-Your life is worth less than mine
-Go beat your head on a hard piece of metal.
-On a much broader philosophical note. Which I don't expect an Anvilbrother to even remotely grasp. Don't even try!
-Let me guess.I Have-No-Clueistan?
- I do think that US cops are poorly trained, and that they are a rather stupid bunch. (directed outright to 3 cops)
:S

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Awesome. Now can you add up all those reports you find, and then compare them to the 800,000 officers in the US, and tell me just what fraction of cops out of that total are the ones doing the bad work? I bet we would find its a FRACTION of total officers, an amount you would find breaking laws, mistreating people, and committing crimes in any profession. A percent to be expected from the human race operating in any capacity. Remember...not robots.