BIGUN

You have to choose one

You're locked in a room with your spouse and children. There is a note saying that someone will be entering in 10 minutes to kill you, your spouse, and your children.

You can either have a loaded gun or a working cell phone.

If you call 911 the police will get there anywhere between 8 to 11 minutes.

Which do you choose?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

You're locked in a room with your spouse and children. There is a note saying that someone will be entering in 10 minutes to kill you, your spouse, and your children.

Which do you choose?

Why do the police want to enter to kill you and your family???

Amazon

***You're locked in a room with your spouse and children. There is a note saying that someone will be entering in 10 minutes to kill you, your spouse, and your children.

Which do you choose?

Why do the police want to enter to kill you and your family???

It matters not why, but I see what you did there.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

BIGUN

Which do you choose?

Cell phone.

I assume if someone is clever enough to have somehow tricked me, my wife and mythical children into a room, locked it and left a note, then the entire thing is a fucking set up from the get go.

If I take the gun, I'm going to have to further assume the perp has called the cops and told them to go the location in question, when after being shot at through the door by the more common numbskull who took the gun will return fire killing me, my wife and mythical children in an extra-elaborate murder by cop trap.

Because think for a second . . . if the perp left the NOTE telling you he'd be there in 10 minutes, what the fuck purpose would that serve? He ALREADY had the chance to kill you himself when he locked you in the room.

So, I take the cell phone, call the cops and tell them the situation and especially that I'm unarmed.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Which do you choose?

Cell phone.

I assume if someone is clever enough to have somehow tricked me, my wife and mythical children into a room, locked it and left a note, then the entire thing is a fucking set up from the get go.

Obviously the gun.

This is a reincarnation of the Monty Hall probability question around giving up the prize for the unknown behind door number 2. You want to do it, since 1/2 > 1/3.

Here, all the downsides of gun ownership have been removed - no family member is going to commit suicide in the next 10 minutes. No burglar is going to get it when you're not home. So you're getting all the upside and none of the down.

The scenario is of course bullshit. and if you're in a locked room, how the fuck is the bad guy getting thru in 10 minutes? Is the lock made of balsa wood?

kelpdiver

Here, all the downsides of gun ownership have been removed - no family member is going to commit suicide in the next 10 minutes. No burglar is going to get it when you're not home. So you're getting all the upside and none of the down.

Except, of course, the aforementioned death by cop trap.

Which is not nothing.
quade -

Two guns, loaded for bear. Two spare clips, a baton and two pairs of hand cuffs, mace and a stun gun. Of course when you call 911, you mention you have all of these legal weapons.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

rwieder

Two guns, loaded for bear. Two spare clips, a baton and two pairs of hand cuffs, mace and a stun gun. Of course when you call 911, you mention you have all of these legal weapons.

What about a point-ed stick?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

quade

***Here, all the downsides of gun ownership have been removed - no family member is going to commit suicide in the next 10 minutes. No burglar is going to get it when you're not home. So you're getting all the upside and none of the down.

Except, of course, the aforementioned death by cop trap.

Which is not nothing.

:S

I'd like the phone. I'd donate $1M by phone to the Treasury department. Since more Government money fixes everything, I'd say that should fix society and the killer will suddenly decide to sing little songs and bring us a basket of fruit.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

kelpdiver

***>You can either have a loaded gun or a working cell phone.

Definitely a cell phone. I have a lot of neighbors that could be there in minutes, whether or not the cops arrive in time.

do they have working guns or working cell phones?

Once you're out of the locked room, you don't have to stay in it to confront the potential murderer. So what difference does it make?
quade -

...and bring us a basket of fruit.

Or, perhaps a fruit cake. Fruit cake makes a great projectile. A fruit cake to the head or testicles would incapacitate any would-be assassin.

Don

quade

******>You can either have a loaded gun or a working cell phone.

Definitely a cell phone. I have a lot of neighbors that could be there in minutes, whether or not the cops arrive in time.

Once you're out of the locked room, you don't have to stay in it to confront the potential murderer. So what difference does it make?

oh, just wondering what it is exactly that your neighbors would be able to do for you in the 8-11 minutes before the police arrived. Are they going to reason with the killer? And are they going to react faster than law enforcement?

It seems like a redundant measure that added no value, other than potentially endangering your neighbors. Are they enemies of your's? Or just annoying people?

kelpdiver

*********>You can either have a loaded gun or a working cell phone.

oh, just wondering what it is exactly that your neighbors would be able to do for you in the 8-11 minutes before the police arrived. Are they going to reason with the killer? And are they going to react faster than law enforcement?

It seems like a redundant measure that added no value, other than potentially endangering your neighbors. Are they enemies of your's? Or just annoying people?

All they have to do is get you out of the room. Presumably they have access to tools like; axes, chain saws, crowbars.

Once you're out, you have access to things like; running, cars, oh and the axes, chain saws and crowbars the neighbors brought over too. Although, clearly getting a mile or two away is probably the way to go and all you need for that are feet.
quade -

BIGUN

Which do you choose?

Did you REALLY think the anti gunners were going to even come close to taking your question seriously?[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Did you REALLY think the anti gunners were anyone was going to even come close to taking your question seriously?[:/]

Fixed it because it's a stupid hypothetical to begin with. It pretty much doesn't reflect any real life scenario.
quade -

quade

***Did you REALLY think the anti gunners were anyone was going to even come close to taking your question seriously?[:/]

Fixed it because it's a stupid hypothetical to begin with. It pretty much doesn't reflect any real life scenario.

You aren't really good at hypothetical thinking are you?[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

GeorgiaDon

...and bring us a basket of fruit.

Or, perhaps a fruit cake. Fruit cake makes a great projectile. A fruit cake to the head or testicles would incapacitate any would-be assassin.

Don

It would strike fear in the heart of the bravest of men!

Chuck