NRA wants armed guards in schools

As discussion of this is going on in the other thread

In any event

It is an idea way past its time
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," said Wayne LaPierre, chief executive of the National Rifle Association

That retarded polarised view of the world is really not helping America. This whole problem is about grey areas.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," said Wayne LaPierre, chief executive of the National Rifle Association

That retarded polarised view of the world is really not helping America. This whole problem is about grey areas.

I don't know who pulls Wayne's strings, but man did they get this one wrong. Wayne sounds like a complete idiot this time.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't know who pulls Wayne's strings, but man did they get this one wrong. Wayne sounds like a complete idiot this time.

I entirely disagree. What he said is realistic and he is right.

hmmm....we guard judges, courthouses, airports, federal buildings, rail road yards, sporting events, power plants, movie stars, musicians, sports stars and politicians, ports, banks, prisoners, military bases no matter where in the US they may be, stock market trading floors, train stations, oil refineries, mines, precious metals/gems, and I'm sure many other mundane places I'm not thinking of, all with armed people. But yea you are right, it's a pretty crazy idea to consider including schools on that list. :S

Remind me again about the end game of this scenario...

we put armed guards in schools or arm the teachers to deter the nutcases, so,suitably deterred, they go and shoot up a library instead...

So we put armed guards in the library or arm the librarians to deter the nutcases, so, deterred as intended, the go and shoot up a McDonalds instead...

So we arm the the burger flippers etc etc etc....

The logical end result to that solution is that EVERYONE is armed, and every building has armed security, checking and scanning you as you go in in the name of 'security'.
Doesn't this worry you? Aren't you the guys who are all about 'personal freedom?'

'Arm everyone' is not a solution. It's insanity. It doesn't even make logical sense.

Think about it - would you really want EVERYONE you know to be walking round with a lethal weapon? That guy you know who gets consistently drunk and aggressive in the bar? The woman next door who always slaps her husband around? When do the kids start carrying in order to protect themselves fom an incident in the name of 2nd ammendment freedom?

Why?

We use guns to protect our money (banks)
We use guns to protect our president
We use guns to protect the congress people
We use guns to protect celbs

Why are our children not good enough to protect?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I'm assuming NRA members will pay for all these school guards? What about shopping malls, sports arenas, school bus stops, sidewalks and street corners? And who will guard the guards?

hmmm....we guard judges, courthouses, airports, federal buildings, rail road yards, sporting events, power plants, movie stars, musicians, sports stars and politicians, ports, banks, prisoners, military bases no matter where in the US they may be, stock market trading floors, train stations, oil refineries, mines, precious metals/gems, and I'm sure many other mundane places I'm not thinking of, all with armed people. But yea you are right, it's a pretty crazy idea to consider including schools on that list. :S

"Nancy Lanza owned six guns and last I checked she's still dead.

Next statement from the NRA will be that If those second graders had been armed this tragedy would not have happened!"

"Nancy Lanza owned six guns and last I checked she's still dead.

Next statement from the NRA will be that If those second graders had been armed this tragedy would not have happened!"

So we should disarm the guards at all of the places listed above because armed guards don't help at all, right?

HOLD IT. We spend trillions protecting Afan kids, Iraqi kids, and get ourselves killed doing that but we can't put a guy near the front door of a school with a gun? We spend million each year protecting murderers on death row. Meanwhile half of all the cops are out there posing a drug dealer to get a collar. I mean come on. Bring the troops home and lets start concentrating on us for a change. Besides all this glorification of Iraqi and Afgan wars has brought us little progress only learning new ways to walk with a fake leg.

There are plenty of volunteers that would work to protect a school if only they were allowed to be on school property with a defensive weapon. Better door locks included.

Hi CHUTE,

IMO an interesting comment by David Gergen:

The NRA in denial

As if Friday weren't gloomy enough, the National Rifle Association weighed in with its long-awaited response to the horrors of Newtown, Connecticut. There had been hints that the NRA would offer a more conciliatory stance. Just the opposite: they doubled down.

Incredibly, Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the NRA, called for putting armed police officers in every school. Isn't that what parents of every six-year old have been longing for: to have their child studying and playing under the watchful eye of an armed guard?

Has LaPierre visited an elementary school classroom in recent years? If so, he would know his idea would be repulsive in most schools.

Just as strikingly, the NRA response refused to acknowledge and address the beliefs of a majority of Americans in recent polls that the U.S. needs tougher laws in favor of gun safety. Americans aren't saying no one should have guns or that the 2nd Amendment should be gutted but they are demanding a national conversation to see what can be sensibly done. It is hard to have a conversation when one side won't talk.

JerryBaumchen

As discussion of this is going on in the other thread

In any event

It is an idea way past its time

Our central Florida county has had at least one armed, uniformed Sheriff's deputy ("School Resource Officer") present at each middle and high school for years. Some elementary schools, too. They are more than just an armed security guard standing around waiting for "something" to happen. They act as a direct and accessible link between parents, students and the school to local LE by sharing information that affects security of the neighborhoods and the schools. (gang activity, safety concerns, etc.)

If we did this, what's the worst thing that could happen? Tell me the downside.

The downside is we spend a lot of money on a stupid idea. This is like GM saying that the only way to have fewer accidents on the roads is for the police to buy more cars. Sure, it's ONE solution but no ONE solution is the best solution or the all encompassing single answer that will make everyone happy, which is what this is more about.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Remind me again about the end game of this scenario...

we put armed guards in schools or arm the teachers to deter the nutcases, so,suitably deterred, they go and shoot up a library instead...

So we put armed guards in the library or arm the librarians to deter the nutcases, so, deterred as intended, the go and shoot up a McDonalds instead...

So we arm the the burger flippers etc etc etc....

The logical end result to that solution is that EVERYONE is armed, and every building has armed security, checking and scanning you as you go in in the name of 'security'.
Doesn't this worry you? Aren't you the guys who are all about 'personal freedom?'

'Arm everyone' is not a solution. It's insanity. It doesn't even make logical sense.

Think about it - would you really want EVERYONE you know to be walking round with a lethal weapon? That guy you know who gets consistently drunk and aggressive in the bar? The woman next door who always slaps her husband around? When do the kids start carrying in order to protect themselves fom an incident in the name of 2nd ammendment freedom?

actually they already shoot up restaurants, and other places. And besides, in most of those restaurants patrons can already conceal carry. So armed guards in schools is not a bad idea.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Butler PA already instituted arm guards. So STATES know WTF to do better than Congress. For god sakes they can't even balance a budget.
Also, states are talking locked doors and buzzers.
Fact of the matter is folks, no matter if there all guns are banned, someone still might have a gun, and someone might be a nutjob. Hence, you need security at the entry point of every school. Just the society we live in.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/20/16042916-armed-guards-locked-entryways-cameras-schools-seek-security-after-sandy-hook?lite

Just as strikingly, the NRA response refused to acknowledge and address the beliefs of a majority of Americans in recent polls that the U.S. needs tougher laws in favor of gun safety.

oh, really. what were the percentages? 47% vs 46%?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I'm really confused by what you guys are talking about. Houston schools already have HISDPD. They ALL CARRY. This has been going on for quite a while. When I was in my late 20's I worked for a communication company and I mounted VHF radio systems with the antennas on their roofs. I always had to liase with the school police. I was mentioning to them that when I was in high school there was no police and I had to go back to do some work and at Angleton high school they had active police/security that was packing because there were several events where kids have been caught bringing guns to school. So why now of all times are we saying this would be so HORRIBLE and its like taking a kid to an armed prison camp. Doesnt seem like anything new to me.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8925996

sounds like you are regurgitating a comment heard from some talking head, not the horse's mouth. did you listen to the speech? i did, and the solution proposed was an immediate one. you should have an idea how long it takes for anything to get done, good or bad. wayne said what are we doing now? he proposed the idea as an immediate answer, at least that's what i heard, but i didn't wait to have someone to tell me what he said like they do in all the debates.
i work in a wv school system and in my county, we have badged access to all doors in all schools. when a parent or anyone else needs in, they push a button and the door opens. nobody walks out, but there are cameras. and one of my schools has the front door propped open, the keypad is broken and has been for 2 months. our high schools have a resource officer, armed, and all the kids seem to like the one at my high school. i think there should be one in every school, who gives a rat's ass if it seems like a prison. it's not like they really teach them anything today except how to take a test.
http://kitswv.com