RonD1120

40 Days of Prayer

I heard something on the radio yesterday that had me thinking about this thread; that one should consult the Bible for guidance, rather than search it for support.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It is God's will. Prophecy is being fulfilled, signs of the end times. Now we have a clear direction. We know what we have to do. He did not give us BHO again as a reward.

In my house we will look to our local church community for more service work. More and more people are going to need help and support.

Reminds me of this http://www.primaryignition.com/2011/12/18/dexter-season-6-tv-review/12promo/

I am not sure what this means. Is it an example of how we are to set our differences aside and work for unity?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

40 Days of Prayer is a call to fervent prayer for our elections. We are in desperate days as a nation as the spiritual, moral and financial fabric of our nation is disintegrating around us. Believers need to pray as never before. America's National Prayer Committee and its member organizations are putting out a call to pray 40 days prior to the elections (September 28 - November 6).

http://www.40daysofprayer.net/

It is God's will. Prophecy is being fulfilled, signs of the end times. Now we have a clear direction. We know what we have to do. He did not give us BHO again as a reward.

In my house we will look to our local church community for more service work. More and more people are going to need help and support.

How would it have been any different then not praying at all?!

40 Days of Prayer is a call to fervent prayer for our elections. We are in desperate days as a nation as the spiritual, moral and financial fabric of our nation is disintegrating around us. Believers need to pray as never before. America's National Prayer Committee and its member organizations are putting out a call to pray 40 days prior to the elections (September 28 - November 6).

http://www.40daysofprayer.net/

How would it have been any different then not praying at all?!

Based on your knowledge of Christian belief in prayer, what is your opinion? What do you think the Christians gained with this outcome?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Prayer is man petitioning God to intercede in the universe as it is currently unfolding. God the omnipotent can do just that. However it is important to remember that God the Omniscient created Heaven and Earth knowing that it was going to unfold as it currently is. In short prayer is Man's way of questioning God's judgement.

Prayer is man petitioning God to intercede in the universe as it is currently unfolding. God the omnipotent can do just that. However it is important to remember that God the Omniscient created Heaven and Earth knowing that it was going to unfold as it currently is. In short prayer is Man's way of questioning God's judgement.

Sounds pretty pointless to me. From what I can tell most Christians don't share your opinion on prayer.

Based on your knowledge of Christian belief in prayer, what is your opinion? What do you think the Christians gained with this outcome?

More self righteousness than usual.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Prayer is man petitioning God to intercede in the universe as it is currently unfolding. God the omnipotent can do just that.

God the omnipresent can intercede in the past too. Maybe he'll change the election outcome retroactively if Ron prays hard enough.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Overall I think this indicates that the Christian right is starting to lose influence - and some of that influence they will not be able to get back.

=========================
Election results raise questions about Christian right's influence
November 7th, 2012
08:21 AM ET

By Dan Gilgoff

(CNN) – For many conservative Christian leaders, it was a nightmare scenario: Barack Obama decisively re-elected. Same-sex marriage adopted by voters in some states. Rigorously anti-abortion candidates defeated in conservative red states.

On multiple levels, Tuesday’s election results seemed to mark a dramatic rejection of the Christian right’s agenda, eight years after the movement helped sweep President George W. Bush into a second term and opened the era of state bans on same-sex marriage.

“For the first time tonight, same-sex marriage has been passed by popular vote in Maine and Maryland,” said Robert P. Jones, a Washington-based pollster who specializes in questions about politics and religion.

“The historic nature of these results are hard to overstate,” Jones said. “Given the strong support of younger Americans for same-sex marriage, it is unlikely this issue will reappear as a major national wedge issue.”

. . . .

Though evangelical leaders as diverse as the Southern Baptist Convention’s Richard Land and Christian icon Billy Graham voiced support for Mitt Romney (Graham stopped short of an official endorsement), Obama performed better among white evangelicals than he did in 2008 in some states.

In swing state Ohio, exit polls showed that Obama got 30% support among white evangelicals. While that’s hardly a victory, it’s better than the 27% support Obama got among those voters four years ago.

Before the election, many evangelical leaders predicted that opposition to Obama over his support for abortion rights, his personal endorsement of same-sex marriage and his vision of government as a force for good would trump reservations evangelicals had about Romney’s past social liberalism and his Mormon faith.

“There is no evidence in voting patterns that President Obama's 'evolution' on same-sex marriage cost him anything,” Mohler said in another tweet Tuesday night.

Obama also narrowly won Catholics, even after the U.S. Catholic bishops waged a rigorous campaign against the Obama administration around the issue of religious liberty. The bishops alleged Obama was forcing Catholics to violate their own teachings by making health insurance companies provide free contraception coverage for virtually all employees.

. . .

The defeat Tuesday of two Republican Senate candidates who made national headlines with anti-abortion remarks also raised questions about the Christian right’s power.

In Missouri, U.S. Senate candidate Todd Akin, who in August walked back his remark that "if it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down," lost his bid to unseat Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Democrat.

Akin’s campaign became a national cause for conservative Christian activists after the Republican Party abandoned the candidate and encouraged him to drop out over his abortion remark.

In Indiana, Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock lost his race against Democrat Joe Donnelly after saying last month that pregnancies resulting from rape are “something that God intended to happen.”
==============

Prayer is man petitioning God to intercede in the universe as it is currently unfolding. God the omnipotent can do just that.

God the omnipresent can intercede in the past too. Maybe he'll change the election outcome retroactively if Ron prays hard enough.

"OHH, SORRY ABOUT THAT RON, MY BAD. I'LL FIX THAT UP FOR YOU RIGHT AWAY. WELL ACTUALLY EARLIER THAN THAT, LOL."

3 Day “Fast & Pray” November 4th, 5th, & 6th – Pray to the Lord: “If we Your people, who are called by Your Name, will humble ourselves and pray and seek Your face and turn from our wicked ways, then You will hear from heaven and forgive our sins and heal our land.”
Because of 2 Chronicles 7:14

Request granted! :)
Don

We have definitely reached the tipping point.

What makes you so sure the universe revolves around american politics? It's pretty stupid to think that compared to all the atrocities in the world, a black man trying to give you healthcare is "the tipping point".

And what makes you say morality is at an all time low? Are you referring to christian leaders and their sex scandals?

>And what makes you say morality is at an all time low?

Change. Fundamentalists have said that every time a new group gets rights here in the US.

They said it when women got the right to vote. The Catholic Encyclopedia, published during the fight against women's suffrage, said ". . men are granted their power by God, and beneath man is woman, who are women are only given 'glory' in their subordinate position through man. " Allowing women to vote " . . . is not compatible with the standard of nature or the Gospel.... The proclamation of the Rights of Man... bind man to woman as the absolute master."

They said it again when blacks were allowed by the Supreme Court to marry whites. Virginia opposed this mightily; fundamentalists there claimed "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix." After the Supreme Court's decision you heard the same kind of whining - America has lost its way, no morality is valid once half-humans are allowed to marry our women, we will never recover from this blow etc etc.

They said it when homosexuality turned from being a crime to a mere unusual event. Now they are saying it over gay marriage.

Some day 50 years from now some fundamentalist will be saying "well of course I am OK with interracial and same-sex marriage. Only a bigot would claim there's anything wrong with them. But rights for augments? They are an abomination, and our society will collapse if we ever give THEM rights."

We have definitely reached the tipping point.

What makes you so sure the universe revolves around american politics? It's pretty stupid to think that compared to all the atrocities in the world, a black man trying to give you healthcare is "the tipping point".

And what makes you say morality is at an all time low? Are you referring to christian leaders and their sex scandals?

It is American politics and our society that I am referring to. Our morality, ethics and civility are at the lowest point in my lifetime. It is all of us.

Interesting; I also see things that are changing, but not necessarily morality and/or ethics. Civility is going downhill, but what's "civil" has changed over the years, and I'm sure that nearly every generation has decried what's considered civil in the next.

I do think that people's ever-increasing need for stimulation, which probably started with movies and radio, has now led to increasing need for stronger and stronger stimulation. That makes us more and more susceptible to advertising and propaganda, neither of which is a particularly good thing.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It is American politics and our society that I am referring to. Our morality, ethics and civility are at the lowest point in my lifetime. It is all of us.

Honestly, Ron? I mean, I'm pretty sure you were alive during the 1950s (I was, at least the late '50s) and I know you're older than me. So you were alive during the time of Jim Crow, and possibly during the era of McCarthyism. Do you really believe that today's morality, civics, and civility is lower than they were then? Do you really believe that an effort to ensure sick people can get medical treatment is morally more evil than segregation? Do you really believe that allowing consenting adults to marry regardless of race or gender is more evil than lynching people who were only trying to register non-whites to vote?

Don