Shotgun

Obama (finally) declares support for same-sex marriage.

Nothing is ever exactly the same. Why is that not the same? After all, Iowa's and California's gay marriage statutes weren't the same, either, but you still lump them together.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The will of the majority of the American people in the 1950's was that blacks and whites should not mingle too much. There were plenty of judges who upheld that.

Were they right because they upheld the will of the people?

Wendy P.

Not the same

Why not?

And the ballot initiatives banning gay marriage keep passing because the people who strongly oppose gay marriage outnumber those who strongly support it (strongly meaning strongly enough to actually make the effort to go and vote).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I applaud the President for announcing his support for gay marriage.

I am appalled that he did not do it sooner than six months prior to the election. I am disgusted that he did not mobilize Congress to do something about it, even when he had within 1 vote of being filibuster proof in the Senate.

Yes, I am finding the bad side to this because it reeks of politics. How many gays and lesbians could have been helped these past few years had he been the anti-politician that was elected?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

meh - that's just the way the wind is blowing the guy right now

he's pathetic

government should stay out of it and let individuals pair up however they like

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I am appalled that he did not do it sooner than six months prior to the election. I am disgusted that he did not mobilize Congress to do something about it, even when he had within 1 vote of being filibuster proof in the Senate.

Yes, I am finding the bad side to this because it reeks of politics. How many gays and lesbians could have been helped these past few years had he been the anti-politician that was elected?

I can't decide on the politics behind this. Given that it is a rough 50/50 proposition and does not correspond to the 50/50 support for the parties, it doesn't seem beneficial to take this stance right now. I wonder if Biden forced his hand. It seems more like political courage than expediency, which is unusual for Obama. Just look at how long it took with DADT. The political angle that could exist here is that he's shoring up the gay vote that might have declined to participate in November. But it could easily cost him as many black votes or other Christian Democrats.

50/50 support but he will rev up his base and of course the gay support. He will rev up the anti gay (bigots that they may be) support.

Independants matter I would think that if you POLLED them they support gays...you DAMN sure know he did before he decided to "come out"

He could have and you might say should have done this a long time ago........
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

When a President (a federal politican) says he's for or against something, it always raises a question in my mind. Is the president just expressing his personal views? Or is he also expressing his support for imposing his views on the states, perhaps against those states' wishes?

Do I favor same-sex marriage? Yes.

Do I favor states legalizing same-sex marriage? Yes.

Do I favor the federal government forcing states to legalize same-sex marriage? No.

Do I favor the federal government forcing states to outlaw same-sex marriage? No.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Do I favor the federal government forcing states to outlaw same-sex marriage? No.

Did you favor the government forcing desegregation of schools on the South? Or the SC forcing states to permit interracial marriage?

It is the job of the Feds to protect the rights of all citizens. If you support same sex marriage as a rights issue, there's no wiggle room here.

Every poll over the last year has shown that more people support gay marriage than oppose it. Younger people support it by a wide margin, and as older people die off (or stop voting and taking polls) expect support for it to increase further.

So the path is clear: wait for one more good flu epidemic, then call a referendum.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

When a President (a federal politican) says he's for or against something, it always raises a question in my mind. Is the president just expressing his personal views? Or is he also expressing his support for imposing his views on the states, perhaps against those states' wishes?

In this case, he said he was expressing his personal view and that he thought it was still an issue for the states to decide on their own.

I can't decide on the politics behind this. Given that it is a rough 50/50 proposition and does not correspond to the 50/50 support for the parties, it doesn't seem beneficial to take this stance right now. I wonder if Biden forced his hand. It seems more like political courage than expediency, which is unusual for Obama. Just look at how long it took with DADT. The political angle that could exist here is that he's shoring up the gay vote that might have declined to participate in November. But it could easily cost him as many black votes or other Christian Democrats.

He is trying to appeal to the liberal voters, whom are nothing but disappointed in him by his unfulfilled promises for the past 4 years. And those on the right will vote against him regardless of his stance on gay marriage, I don't see how this could hurt him.

A lot of the people on the left are disappointed in Obama, and are unmotivated to vote.

And those poll numbers? The election is months away and numbers really don't mean shit right now, anything could happen.

He needs to wake up his base.

The interesting thing about this election is that both candidates are generally seen as weak people who don't deliver. People just don't like Romney and see straight through his bullshit, while Obama is nothing but utter dissapointment.

U.S. adults, on average, estimate that 25% of Americans are gay or lesbian. More specifically, over half of Americans (52%) estimate that at least one in five Americans are gay or lesbian, including 35% who estimate that more than one in four are. Thirty percent put the figure at less than 15%.

Just goes to show how uninformed the public is.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

over 50% of the American people believe same sex marriage is a repulsive, perverted abomination,

You totally fabricated both the statistic and the modifying adjectives; but hey, it kept the thread rolling.

My avatar will keep a thread rolling.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

over 50% of the American people believe same sex marriage is a repulsive, perverted abomination,

You totally fabricated both the statistic and the modifying adjectives; but hey, it kept the thread rolling.

My avatar will keep a thread rolling.

:D You left out the "t" in "trolling".

This story has to be false.

A Kenyan muslim communist would never support gay marriage.

"We've arrived at a point where the president of the United States is going to lead a war on traditional marriage." Rush Limbaugh, 5/10/2012.

None of his THREE ex-wives had any comment.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This story has to be false.

A Kenyan muslim communist would never support gay marriage.

"We've arrived at a point where the president of the United States is going to lead a war on traditional marriage." Rush Limbaugh, 5/10/2012.

None of his THREE ex-wives had any comment.

Obviously his three marriages had no bearing on the institution itself, those were simply private matters. A gay couple's marriage though, that would somehow be much more influential than any/all of his could ever hope to be.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

It's brilliant politics. By taking a stand, by default people will assume Romney feels the opposite. If Romney takes a stand either way, he either loses the moderate and independent voters or the fundamentalists. They won't vote for Obama, but they won't vote for Romney either. In essence he's turned the entire election into a single issue.

I think government has no place in marriage period. They should all be civil unions.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I think government has no place in marriage period. They should all be civil unions.

Note to self: Write in "Bolas" on ballot this fall.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

*cough* Picking and choosing which abominations to suit bigoted beliefs best *cough*
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/392424_278021645618383_100002316488182_582926_1120283848_n.jpg

Yeah, that is a problem area. Dr. Laura Schlesinger is Jewish and therefore does not refer to the New Testament. Since Jesus The Christ completed and satisfied the Law of Moses, the issue becomes more clear and easy to understand when referencing the NT.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.