UntamedDOG

Desire to witness a fatality

I've seen six.

Everything from Suicide tracking towards the pit, malfunction that stood up the victim and sent his long bones thru his torso making him end up about 18" tall in a bloody heap, landing a canopy backwards on the runway breaking his neck, flat and stable bounce ten feet, disappear behind the trees.

None of these were necessary and I wish I had never seen a one!

It is the sutff of nightmares.

You better thank your DZO for being one of the bravest mother-effers you know. He's the guy that has to go out there and see the carnage then make the call home.

I can see no other reason to post something as disturbing as this other than to piss people off.

I cant believe that anyone would be eager to have a fellow jumper burn in in their presense.

If you really do feel this way, you should seek counciling and find out what it is inside you that is so badly broken.
Things that are broken, and left to their own devices usually end up even more broken in time.

I fervently hope that I am never on the same dropzone as you.
__

My mighty steed

Dude, at first I thought you were 100% sick...

Then I read all the posts and came back to your post... I don’t know if you are trying to stir the pot or are just trying to make a point ask a question, that in order to be a seasoned veteran in skydiving seeing a fatality is a must. If you actually want it to happen, so you can be a veteran, please, please, please stay far away from me… I personally want to live my whole life without having a friend go in, so my goals would be 100% opposite of you. (Before anyone flames me, I understand that my desires likely will be burst, and a good friend did die paragliding the same day I flew, so I know what it is like.)

I will tell ya, after seeing death first hand in front of me on the highway (a motorcyclist go down) - it is not fun, even if you don’t know the guy. Having co-workers die is not fun either… And, truly not fun is being the haz-mat cleanup guy at an office building after a natural causes death or suicide… If you want to know what it is like to clean out someone’s desk of their worldly possessions to give to their family and remove their blood from the carpet floor before their coworkers come back the next day, e-mail me… As a company owner with a lot of maintenance employees serving our office-building customers, there is only one job I don’t let my employees do, and that is cleanup death. I pay them enough to pump sewage floods; I don’t have enough to pay them for death.

Just last week, my dog and I were going to work as we usually do... As we were walking in, he found a dead cat behind a bush, clearly a pet, clearly natural causes. He sat down and whimpered, his tail stopped wagging, and he no longer was having fun running around... This was the first dead animal that he had ever saw, and he clearly understood mortality... What a wakeup call for me… Does he understand he will die too???

People in skydiving talk all the time about knowing people that die: "If you are in this sport long enough, you will know..." Life is just like that too... My last living grandparent goes to more funerals than birthdays, and often comments that everyone she was a friend with is now dead. I guess this is like the theme of the movie "Green Mile"... It is life's little punishment for living a long time – everyone you know will die…

So, my only comment is, wait as long as possible until the inevitable will happen, because if you are lucky to live a long time, everyone of your same age that you know will die – skydivers, friends, family, pets, sometimes children, etc.

can only agree ,its is the stuff of nightmares. and once you have had to deal with it you carry it around forever and come to terms the best way you can.

talking about this and some form of nobility is downright weird.....if the originating poster wasnt under the influence of something when he posted that stuff, he really really should seek help.
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

I probably shouldn't even express my opinion here (seeing as how I've never jumped yet) but...
Wanting (needing, desiring, etc...) to see somone go in....that's just wrong.
I'm CPR and Basic First Aid Certified at my job- and I hope I never get a really bad call (the slips and falls, and minor cuts are ok)- but I never want to get a CPR call.
I've seen some preety bad shit in my life- as a fireman I saw people burned to death (and no- as a Fireman I NEVER wanted to see it). I saw a guy hit by a car, and fly about 10 feet in the air- at work I responded to a first aid call- a buddy sideswiped a car (he was on his motorcycle) and he was banged up real bad. I had to keep repeating who I was, and telling him that he was in an accident.
It's never something I want to see. Your original post was either meant to get other people pissed off, or a serious cry for help. I think some therapy would be a real good idea.
From the standpoint of someone who has never jumped- I never want to see someone go in. With the inherant dangers of this sport, I'm sure I might see it- but I sure as shit won;t wish to see it.

And just an observation- anyone else notice that he hasn't posted since the original post?

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

Ok, I basically lurk these forums and rarely post. But this has upset me so much, I just have to say something. The idea of one of my friends going in makes me want to throw up. These people who are teaching me, hanging out with me and generally being great people mean the world to me, and I hope that I never have to witness anything bad happening to them skydiving or otherwise. You need to think before you open your mouth, or turn on your computer and start typing. You definitely need some sort of help and I hope you get it before you go back to your DZ, if you have one to go back to after what you said.

And just an observation- anyone else notice that he hasn't posted since the original post?

I noticed that, and I also noticed that USPA has no record of this guy being a Coach or Pro-rated (Running a group member DZ doth have it's upside). I smell a snivelling little troll.

Well said NickDG! I was thinking the same thing.

After between six and seven hundred hours of hang gliding, fifteen years skydiving, I experienced the deaths of eleven people, one of whom was my cousin which I experienced as it happened. He got me into hang gliding. Another was my great friend Frank Donnellan, who got me into skydiving via an 'unofficial' buddy-buddy jump at Perris in 1980. He was the first Base numbered fatality.

Of all of them, I sincerely wish none had ever happened and I for one, cannot understand why anyone would want to watch a living snuff movie.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Did I mention ??????????????????????????

I am not proud to have witnessed two and many more injuries. It is never something one wants to see.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Don't know either, shit I've been jumping there 2 years and I didn't know about any "memorial park".

I suppose if I had bothered to take part in the 2-3 ashdives they do annually there, I would know

this is from another post by Untamed dog, it dosent seem to mesh with

People talk about accidents all the time on DZ.com and I am amazed at how it has become such an accepted topic. There are always the social gatherings like the funerals, and memorial dives dedicated to the victims.

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

I have lost one very close friend and 2 aquaintances to skydiving, I'm very glad that I was not there to witness any of them, I think about them everyday with very fond memories. I hope I never have to witness anyone goin in, it's not cool and I think you owe everyone an apology for posting such shit!!

Witnessing a skydivers death has truly become a prerequisite to nobility. I watch skydivers who have recently witnessed a fatality, they always seem to carry themselves with a quiet solemnity. Perhaps they think they have a notch in their belts because they had the pugnacity to continue despite ominous surroundings.

that is sort of true. there are people on dz.com who find it necessary to bring out the "I've seen people killed in this sport, have you??? No? Well then your opinion is unimportant and you don't know what you are talking about."

that being said,

I find myself a bit eager to experience the rush of a skydiving fatality firsthand.

thats screwed up. something tells me theres no "rush" to watching someone die. probably just nausea.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Don't confuse talking about fatalaties with wanting to see them. It is difficult to imagine anything I would want to see less than a fatality. I talk about them, because they are lessons.

Your characterization of them as a "prerequisite to nobility" is absurd. Walking around in a fog due to the oppressive memory is not a good thing.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

>Has witnessing a skydiving fatality become a “check” on the list of
> things we are suppose to experience as we become more
>seasoned skydivers?

I am curious. Is this based on experience? Have you felt fulfilled by the death of a relative or friend before?

I can't help but think that this sort of thing is motivated by a misunderstanding of what you are asking for. It's like people who think it would be cool to be shot, because in the movies it results in a little neat hole that you patch up with some gauze and it's good to go. And that way you get to be in the 'cool guys who have been shot' club.

I have been through what you describe three times so far, and I would have given an awful lot to have avoided them. I suspect you will feel the same.

I have seen someone go in in front of me when I had 20 jumps. I also personally knew someone who went in few months ago. I was warned by a friend when I started skydiving that sooner or later, I would probably see someone die. And that the more I jump, the more people I will meet, and the more likely it is I will personally know someone who will die skydiving. In that regards, yes, I have been through the "Check marks" on the list, I guess. But it sure doesn't make me feel any better as a skydiver, certainly not as a human being. It actually keeps poking little holes in the guts, little by little. It's painful. Nothing cool about it.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

That's fucked up.

I have NO desire to ever see any one of my friends hurt themselves, let alone kill themselves or be killed. It's not something to "check off your list". Death is a part of our sport, and always will be, but that's not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Witnessing the death of a fellow skydiver is not something to be proud of, and not something that you'll have bragging rights over.

Not a cool thread. Really.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I find myself a bit eager to experience the rush of a skydiving fatality firsthand.

I can't really express my disgust with this concept without getting banned.

Please seek help.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have no desire to see someone bounce. I'm sure sooner or later I will see it. But I don't wish for it. I already know the risks. I don't need to see someone bounce to feel more noble. I almost watched a friend go in on a BASE jump last November. Plus I worked as a ski patroller for four years in the early 90s. Seeing a close call or someone messed up is not a pretty sight.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over