Skylark

Short or tall men?

How tall are you? It occured to me a few weeks ago at Empuria, that a large proportion of male jumpers were a long way below average height; enough jumpers to make it noticeable. Many appeared to be below 5'5" (1.61m).

Is this because many shorter men are naturally better at confronting fear because they have always tried 'harder' in life? Or maybe it's because the image of a fearless skydiver makes up for the lack of inches when attracting a female mate?

This is a serious post regarding the psychology of humans who choose to participate in high-risk sports. All comments and explanations from females and males alike, welcome.

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

Hmm. That's funny. I have never given a second thought to being what you clearly believe to be "short." I am five-seven, but used to be five-eight. Scoleosis and carrying a 100 pound rucksack for 20 years did that to me. Concerning skydiving or any other "extreme" sport as as way around my supposed shortcoming in my ability to attact a female mate: you are totally off track. Being tall, at least in my very-wide circles, doesn't give you a hint of a better chance of getting laid than I have. I have dated girls as tall as six foot two and as short as four foot eight; none considered height an issue, nor has it ever been an issue with me.

Still, I have been utterly disturbed by the amount of tiny little girls who attach themselves to guys well over six feet tall. The basic mechanics of sex with that big a height difference is daunting.

Edited to add that I don't see how this has anything to do with "general skydiving." I am moving this post to talkback right now.

Chuck

I'm 6',00" and I've found that the taller one is, the more of a pain it is to do things"comfortably":JUMP planes,cars, breaking bones more easy. Drive a Hummer at my size or bigger & you'll prefer to ride a bicycle.(Get too tall and people think you're a Yeti, not a genius)
-Grant

6'2" 215...it sucks here cause i can't find used gear>:( From the size of stuff for sale, smaller is definitly the norm in skydiving...as far as getting laid...it's all in the talk not in the size;)

Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

6'-2", 210lbs - it seems skydivers tend to run small to me, I've been "shopping" for a used rig for a while now, and most of them are too small - both harnesses, and canopies:|

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

maybe i just notice the tall skydivers in the crowd more ;)

i'm 6'4 and have met many skydivers taller than i am..

btw..positions are all about flexibility and ingenuity..if you cant make each other fit your really not trying hard enough..

Personally I think you should move this poll to the Women Only and see what height male the ladies prefer

Hrm...i like 5'11" with size 12 feet, blonde hair, about 170 pounds, nice straight teeth....

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I have noticed this....... Only because its the size the FAA calls the ideal pilot used in size and weight calculations. Funny most of the pilots I know are much bigger than this ideal, hey whats a little less avgas just a few minutes less flite time righ?.
The airforce picks guys this size and smaller for fighter jocks, the bigger guys fly bombers,tankers and freighters.
As far as girls go, I think they like guys that are fit whatever size the dude happens to be. Some ladies like a bigger guy to get that feeling of protection and being smothered during.......
Then there are those " self admitted size Queens"
that make adult videos somewhat cartoonish. Fairly big guy and a tiny little girl with not so tiny ta-tas.

maybe i just notice the tall skydivers in the crowd more ;)

i'm 6'4 and have met many skydivers taller than i am..

btw..positions are all about flexibility and ingenuity..if you cant make each other fit your really not trying hard enough..

***Couldn't agree with you more!
I'm 6'4" & 230lbs.
The Good & Bad....
Never need a lead vest!;)
Having to unfold yourself to get outta the back of a Cessna!!![:/]

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

never had to try this until i got up here to Kapowsin..although i had gotten used to moving around in otters in a crouch;)..usually i'm lucky enough to get one of the "comfy" seats in the cessnas...

never had to try this until i got up here to Kapowsin..although i had gotten used to moving around in otters in a crouch;)..usually i'm lucky enough to get one of the "comfy" seats in the cessnas...

***That's why the older I get...the more I like DC3's and SkyVans!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

6' - 6'2'' depending on shoes and hairstyle. 165lbs, obviously a rare combination based on the lack of suitable used gear (at least in this country anyway).

As for SkyMonkeyOne commenting on the short woman/tall man combination being weird, but it means they don't have to bend down.:P

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"