Viking

How much did you spend on your wedding ring?

Hi Viking

What Gmanpilot said.

Bought the wife a nice silver wedding band maybe $50 ea.:o

We were on a canoe trip a month later she went under got caught in a snag and lost the wedding ring it was her choice either stay under to try and save the ring or dump the ring or lose the finger IMO she made the right choice. :(:)
Damn $50 down the tubes but 30+ yr's later we're still together and never bought another ring. $50 back in the day was worth maybe 10 jumps.

IMO It's not the value of the ring it's whats in your heart that counts. Unless you need to impress someone. :S

R.I.P.

That's a good read. Personally I don't really understand how getting married has snowballed into such merchandising thing. A couple getting married these days usually ends up spending 10-20k on the entire wedding, money that basically evaporates into some pictures and a worthless rock on a ring. That's a lot of money that a couple just starting out in life could've used on more practical things, like a downpayment on a house to raise a family in.

Wow, no options for under $1000 for the bride's ring!!??? Are wedding rings that expensive???

We spent $0 on my wedding ring... because I didn't want one. ;)

Ditto. I asked for a video camera instead. (I already had a hand-me-down ;))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

4 times?! Jesus! A wedding ring costs next to nothing! It's a plain band.

Kelly

Ours are not plain bands. Kas (my wife) had some stones she bought in India in 1980. They were her birth stone, Amythyst. So we used her gems and I bought the Gold and had a jeweller fashion the rings to our design. So with all the drawing, cutting and building type work, the cost was about $3000AUD for our rings.
Kas has an engagment ring and wedder, when worn together, look the same as my single wedder.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

This is crazy - how much does a gold band cost. My wifes was like 100 pounds - $160 dollars for a 22 carat gold band.

Her engagement ring was about $2000 and my grooms band was found in her grandmothers garden...

Was she trying to GROW a groom? LOL:P
My photos

My Videos

my wifes engagement ring cost about 3,500...her wedding ring cost about 2,200 so her total ring was about 5,700 but also has a 1 year engagement ring for about 2,500 so she bling blinging it at about 10,400.

my wedding ring was 2,500 (platinum..same with hers) and with a small diamond (bagette sp?) tension set into it. I designed it and it was custom made so thats prob why it was a pretty penny for it...

oops I never put in my two cents....

a ring is nothing more but a statement, Arthur.
If you think the price will change her mind or make her think you love her more,then ditch the relationship.I'm sure your are in most peoples shoes when it comes to finances; spening 4 months salary on something that you already have sounds rediculous to me. if money was no matter, then i wouls say buy something high end and nice. but since youre asking (and I kinda know ya) I know you are not rich.buy somthing inexpensive and then use the other three months salary to go on a nice honeymoon.

its the MEMORIES that will keep you together, not the properties;)
My photos

My Videos

If you think the price will change her mind or make her think you love her more,then ditch the relationship

I second this!

I spent much more then I could on Morgan's engagement ring, she liked it, still likes it and is very proud of it. Know what? I could have spent under $100 on it and it would have been the same? How do I know, when I was trying to figure out what kind of rings she liked, she kept showing me rings that were under $100. When she found out (roughly) how much the ring is worth, she got mad at me for spending that much money.:$B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There's no poll option for what we did...

First, the engagement ring was free. Mom gave me my late grandmother's ring. It cost $30 to get it cleaned and resized. It was roughly a quarter karat, but the history of the ring made it priceless.

As for the wedding bands, craichead's was $400, and mine was $630. Both are platinum. We got them here . I strongly recommend buying wedding bands off the internet. The rings we bought would've both cost over $1000 each had we bought through traditional outlets. Also, Walmart, SamsClub, and Costco both have half decent jewlery collections, but not as thrifty as the internet was.

We're buying our first house right now, and we're real happy to have not spent as much money on rings as others have.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I don't think there should be any hard and fast rules to buying a ring. Buy what you fall in love with whether or not its a diamond or other precious stone. You're buying something that will adorn the finger of your lady for a long, long time. A good woman will love you for who you are rather than the size of the stone you place on her finger. But, a good man will put some time and energy (and quite possibly money, I suppose) into buying something as beautiful as the woman he proposes to.

I would never want to see my man go broke or into significant debt for a ring. The love that is symbolized by the ring is far more important and worth more than any stone. Honestly, I would rather have a good man by my side who loves me with all his heart than the most beautiful ring in the world. I think most girls would agree.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

I strongly recommend buying wedding bands off the internet.

I strongly disagree.

Find a good jewler (no, not some quack shop like Zales) and use him/her for your purchases. The good ones will sit down to you, talk to you about what your budget is, what you can find in that budget, what you can find if you went a bit above or below your budget, etc.

You form a relationship with a jewler and that jewler will take care of you for the rest of your life. Old school business and its one of the businesses that you can still do that with. Sort of like having an honest to god shoe shop where they actually make boots and shoes. You really get taken care of and get a top quality product.

Find a good jewler (no, not some quack shop like Zales) and use him/her for your purchases. The good ones will sit down to you, talk to you about what your budget is, what you can find in that budget, what you can find if you went a bit above or below your budget, etc.

Yah, we did that. Then we went online and bought the exact same ring for less than half the price. The website I linked does have a brick & mortar storefront in Utah. They also have a good return policy.

After going through the experience and seeing the huge differences in price for the exact same product, we really got a clear understanding of how much you're ripped off when you buy at most jewelers.

Craichead sez its probably more important to have a jeweler you know if you're buying an engagement ring, but she doesn't see the point in using one for wedding bands. As I mentioned, I didn't have to buy an engagement ring.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Ahhhhh HA!!!!!!!!! So you're saying that marrying an ugly chick is cheaper. Hmmmmmmmm........:D

LOL! Your post reminded me of that old Jimmy Soul song, If You Wanna Be Happy...

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife!
So for my personal point of view,
Get an ugly girl to marry you!

:D :D

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Then we went online and bought the exact same ring for less than half the price

See, that's the exact opposite of my experience. Basically, the ring appraised for about $1200 more then I paid for it just a couple months ago when I had it appraised. I got a nice 1/2 kt. princess cut that's a certified stone and damn near perfect for an absolute steal. And I was literally hand walked through the entire process.

Oh....BTW.....Arthur...if you even have the THOUGHT of getting married so young.....I will fly to SoCal and kick your ass myself! BET!

Believe it or not this is the smartest reply on this tread buddy boy! I'm just wise enough to know that you won't listen to his advice on this subject and return you to your regularly scheduled poll.

Hers I paid 2k for. It looks nice on her hand and when she is doing nicer things to me with her hands.

I paid 375 for mine and never wear it as I stick my hand into 4 thousand volt breaker cubicles and onto big rotating machinery on a daily basis. I avoid jewelry. It makes me feel like a wanna be pimp punk, a used car salesman or interior decorator.
I'm into watches and not the gold thin bodied type that interior decorators and used car salesman have. Stainless or dark tactical and they have to be good to 300 feet below. Even though its been at least 3 years since I've been that low below. If a watch has an altimeter and a laser designator built in I'm in hog heaven. BTW it gets demerits if it doubles as a cell phone, yuk!

And please no jokes about big watch small package!