medusa

why skydiving is not a lucrative sport??

I was watching TV and I realized that sports such as soccer, football, baseball, BMX, snowboarding, etc....... are pretty lucrative. They have sponsors that pay the athletes to use their brand, they appear on TV commercials, in magazines and even in billboards, and they get pay for it!!!

And I'm sure none of those athletes have spent and/or spend half of what we do skydiving. We spend thousands of dollars buying containers, canopies, helmets, cameras, altimeters, ADD and all kinds of expensive equipment. In my short skydiving career I have spent approximately $8,000 and I only have 200 jumps.

I'm going to take a guess on how many skydivers are in the US, approximately 4,000??? and lets say that they have spent only $3,000 in equipment "we know we spend more than that".
That's 4,000 X $3000 = $12,000,000 :o

so my question is were is the money going???>:(
why skydiving is not as popular as surfing or snowboarding or some other sport? >:(

when will be the day that a skydiver is in the front of a Wheaties cereal box and is getting paid for it?;)
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

I think there's more than 4,000 skydivers in the US. Did you mean 40,000? That seems more realistic.

Then the numbers are little more in line:

40,000 x $3,000 = $120M

Add jumping and those that buy other accessories, and I'd guess that the sport over sees somewhere over $500-600M per year.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

ESPN dropped skydiving from the XGames...that should be a clue on why no one else has picked it up.

Should be interesting to see how much press Perris can get for Nationals this year. JFTC should help with that as well.

See this to understand what I mean:
http://www.uspa.org/publications/parachutist/online%20archives/2004/12.04/capcom12.04.htm

Add jumping and those that buy other accessories, and I'd guess that the sport over sees somewhere over $500-600M per year.

Which would still be less than just the video game sales related to any other sport. (EA just spent $1billion to purchase the NFL naming license for the next five years)

It's not a lucrative sport simply for one reason: It's not a spectator sport.

For the most part, the "normal" human won't see anything skydiving related until the canopies are out (CRW) or swoopers are in action. And then, through the magic of TV, they will only see bits and pieces, and a few dramatic wipeouts shown by rating hunters.

You can't sit in an arena and watch it, you can't cuss out the refs, and no one serves hotdogs and over priced beer in the stands. Now, on the other hand, I know of a few people who have made a good life in skydiving. Teaching and coaching, video work and dropzpne ownership are the best ways to made money in skydiving. Even then, unless your VERY lucky....you might just make ends meet.

It comes down to if they can see it, it might be popular, if they can't...it doesn't exist. Besides, we're a bunch of long haired, druggies, who sleep around, get drunk, O.D. and go in....and still look purty!

Who in their right mind would sponser that?!?

Just a thought.....
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

Which would still be less than just the video game sales related to any other sport. (EA just spent $1billion to purchase the NFL naming license for the next five years)

I didn't mean that the number is "huge" in the realm of business overall, but with skydiving being such a niche sport, finding the right niche can generate a decent living for some.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think there's more than 4,000 skydivers in the US. Did you mean 40,000? That seems more realistic.

Then the numbers are little more in line:

40,000 x $3,000 = $120M

Who gives away their "old" gear and buys new gear every year?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

This is a big reason, but the reason ESPN dropped it and the reason other big companies won't pick it up is because the average viewer doesn't understand it from a talent aspect. Sure they know that we jump out of planes and fall and then land under parachutes, and that is cool and scary, but they don't understand how hard it is or how much talent it takes to fly artistically. They look at two guys freeflying as just goofing off in the air. They have no concept of the skill it takes.

Everyone can watch a skateboarder or a BMX rider or a snowboarder and have an idea of how amazing the pros are because it is something we all have a concept for. Everyone has tried to jump a bike or do a flip or ski or snowboard etc...... Even if you haven't, the concept is something you can understand. Unless you have tried skydiving, you have no concept of how hard it is or the skill involved to do it artistically. I mean, how hard can it be to fall and flip around, right?

So, they put it on TV and people watch for a little while then get board. You've seen one skydive, you've seen them all. Same thing, over and over. Big deal. UNLESS..... you ARE a skydiver, then it is amazing to watch and they are all different and exciting because you understand the talent level and skill involved.

We can all watch and appreciate a pro snowboarder's talent, even if you have never done it yourself. The same cannot be said of skydiving. Have you ever watched a skydiving video and been glued to the tv, only to notice the non-skydivers hardly glancing at it? THAT is the reason skydiving is not lucrative for big business.

Also sports like, snowboarding, skateboarding, soccer, bmx etc etc are very a accessible to the public, and more so to kids.

As a kid you could ask your folks for new board, or bmx for xmas, however you wouldn't likely ask for a new canopy or rig. So for the most part skydiving is out of the reach of most kids, and therefore they have little interest in it.

Also as previously stated it isn’t a spectator sport, whilst turning 15 points in an 8 way takes a lot of skill, unless Rel work is you thing it’s not the interesting to watch over and over again.

You see someone back flip a motocross back, and you’re like holy shit that’s insane, you see someone transition for a sit to headdown, and there’s no comparison for the wow factor…..

I also think fans like to see people fuck up; we all love to watch the slam section of a skate vid, however in our sport that would be horrific, I don’t think anyone really wants to see someone “bounce”
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

there are many not spectator sports that are lucrative raly for example "you only see the car pass ones"

I think the primary reason why skydiving is not a lucrative sport is simply BAD MARKETING.

I didn't understand FOOTBALL I thought it was boring, "I didn't know how hard it was" but know I know, Why because they have people that explain what is going on.

why people believe that doing maneuvers during free fall is just "goofing off in the air".
because they don't know how hard it is.
why they don't know how hard it is??
they have never try it .
why they never try it???
because they think is not a physical demanding and that there are not skills involve.

"they put skydiving as an adrenaline attraction, not different from going to SIX FLAGS or BUSH GARDENS"
it should marketing as a SPORT!!!

BAD MARKETING

Medusa

Patent pending ATFK15456

You don't want it to become more popular... Trust me. All the things you love about the sport will be gone. Think the low hook numbers are bad now? Wait till every 12 year old wants to grow up to be like Swooper X and starts hooking a Velocity 96 on jump 26 because they want to be like Swooper X and have been waiting years and years to do it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm going to take a guess on how many skydivers are in the US, approximately 4,000??? and lets say that they have spent only $3,000 in equipment "we know we spend more than that".
That's 4,000 X $3000 = $12,000,000

so my question is were is the money going???

Maybe it goes to pay for the materials and labor needed to make that equipment, and a bit of profit for the company.

Where do you think it SHOULD go?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

Sports like BMX, surfing, skateboarding, soccer, basketball, football etc have more of a core market group than skydiving. Also they appeal of those sports is huge when compared to ours and barrier to entry is A LOT cheaper than skydiving. I mean how many teenagers can dish out $4K plus to get into a sport. Its easy for them to spend under $200 to get into skating and surfing, even less for basketball and football. You have to also take into account the spectator value of a sport too. When you go to a football, basketball game everythings going on in real time right in front of you. In skydiving you have to wait a bit to see the results. Most people really cant undestand skydiving too, try to explain to joe schmo on the street the first time you did a solo or did a three way. Then tell him that Koby scored x points in the last few seconds of the fourth quarter. Sponsorship is a huge deal too. I remember the first time I saw Rob Harris in the x-games on a skysurf board and I was like "screw the rest, thats what I wanna do." While most of my friends were going nuts over Tony Hawk doing 360s or 720s. Sponsors are going to go with the bigger market group in this case Tony Hawk and his appeal to the skater market.

hey medusa. where you been dude?

man, financially speaking, skydiving is a vaccum. it's mostly the fuel costs i think. this is in addition to high technology with low volume of purchase (i.e. your parachute). plus, a decent jump-ship goes for almost $1-million now-a-days.

it's possible to make a good living in the sport from owning a DZ. Perhaps even a better living (or small fortune) from owning a large DZ, but that is about as far as it goes.

the people making money in those other sports own equipment companies that are making deals with network television for international sporting events, etc. etc.

we can't reach the masses that way...

initial cost of becoming an average performing skydiver is about $10,000

to become a kick-ass, current flyer, with mega-jumps could run between $50,000 and $100,000 and many years of practice.

so, keep on jumpin!!! :)

hey what up men nice to see ya again.

I've been jumping a little with your fellos from Ck at sebastian.

it just pissis me off that incredible good athletes that have put time and effort to became better skydivers got less credit that a professional chess player "and they can go to olympics">:(
Medusa

Patent pending ATFK15456

That's 4,000 X $3000 = $12,000,000

so my question is were is the money going???

I'm taking it all. I mean you should see the home improvements I've done on the RV this year.

I'm just kidding.

We moved out of the RV last year.

Your figures don't include ANY overhead. But the short answer is this.

The market is small. The cost to produce the type of gear we use, and do the R & D to keep us all alive is substantial.

But who cares? As long as we're all having fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Hi Gawain,

You numbers are way off. The A license number are up to 43,000 or so, but they have been issuing them since the 60's. Thats 40,000 total jumpers in the last 40 odd years. THere are probably about 4000 to 5000 active (100 jumps or more per year) jumpers in the US. The number of people making 1000 jumps per year is maybe 100 to 200. THis is a tiny sport with zero spectator value. The largest canopy maker in the world (PD) probably does less than $10M a year. The relative workshop has made 40,000 rigs.... in 40 years. Teeny tiny numbers, and yet we can still get jumps for $15.00. Not bad.

Cya.

F*ck the money, I'm thinking more about human life and the reputation of the sport. I agree with Phree here that we'd have a hundred kids wanting to be Swooper X, and that would just be the BEGINNING of the problem. Imagine what it would be like if every wannabe "EXTREME sportist" (people who do crazy shit cuz they think it makes them look cool) got turned on to skydiving. I can see it now...."I have 20 jumps, I'm gonna take it to the EXTREME and hook this in!!". [:/]B|

Personally, I wouldn't want every whacko out there wanting to be a skydiver. I think that'd just about ruin it for me.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.