medusa

why skydiving is not a lucrative sport??

We are the whacko's. I would say I don't agree with you guys, on the part of every kid hook a turn inn,
we are those kids, BUT WE LEARNED YOU DON'T JUST GO OUT THERE AND DO THAT. Some learn the hard way, others learned the hardest.
I say bring it, every wanna be extreme sportist, come on do isp, aff, and guess what, it's our job to conduct ourselves as senior jumpers and make sure we look out for low number jumpers. Not act like fools, as in belligerant drunk, drug addict hippies, like someone said up there( not exactly but close) there's your human life and reputation of the sport. The beginning is here and it's been here for a long time. you might wanna think that it should be the end of the party atmosphere, and purify this sport, Like the lucrative expectation of this sport and purification may go hand in hand, you have jumpers partying like maniacs you will get swooperX at 20 jmps hookin it inn and take a nice mouthful of dirt more often then not.
don't get me wrong I'm not saying we are all a bunch of bang ups, but we do need a good kick inn the ass every now and then. YOU ARE A SENIOR SKYDIVER TO SOMEONE AND YOU SHOULD ACT ACCORDINGLY. ( and thats for all jumpers)

I can see what you're trying to say here (or at least I think I do, I might be misunderstanding something). You're implying that because the party scene is so crazy after the beer light comes on and at boogies and such, that we, as skydivers, are being irresponsible and therefore are, in fact, the "whacko's" I'm speaking of. I see your point, I really do. Still.........

It's better to have 5 guys skydive with only 1 of them being a dumbass than for 10 to skydive and 5 of them be dumbasses. Understand now? We don't want skydiving to become popular. The reputation of the sport is too precious and fragile to lose to some "thrillseekers" wanting to look cool. That's all I'm trying to say.

I'm gonna leave this conversation now....probably for the best. ;):P Have fun guys!

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Think the low hook numbers are bad now? Wait till every 12 year old wants to grow up to be like Swooper X and starts hooking a Velocity 96 on jump 26 because they want to be like Swooper X and have been waiting years and years to do it.

you are being extremist.:S
to begin with there is no way some one can have access to a velocity 96 on jump 26 [:/], that is way we got regulations and staff. once you get into the sport you realized that it wasn't as easy as you thought, that landing a canopie is difficult and require experience, skills, timing etc.....

the fact that a 12 years old watch Evil cannivel in his modify harley davidson jumping 18 cars, doesn't mean that he's mommy will buy him a modify harley davidson and borrow him the family van to jump it infront of the house.

is understand that there is additional things such as skills, training, ability etc....
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

to begin with there is no way some one can have access to a velocity 96 on jump 26

Sure they can. Nothing is stopping them now from that. I know some idiot that got his hands on a Rage 140 at least at 1.6 at ~35 jumps. He wanted it sooner but the demo did'nt come in till then. His progression whet, Student gear, Student gear, Rage 140. And there is no regulation to prevent it either.

Landing a canopy is easy. Landing a canopy safely and gently takes a LOT more effort.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

there are many not spectator sports that are lucrative raly for example "you only see the car pass ones"

I think the primary reason why skydiving is not a lucrative sport is simply BAD MARKETING.

Most people have no frame of reference for skydiving.

NASCAR is big, but most people who watch it drive.
Football is big, but most have run and thrown a football before.

Very few folks have made a skydive and most of them were just tandems.

People can't understand it, they can not relate to it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I remember watching Orly and Omar on the X Games when ESPN showed them. (Yeah, I'm old) I had no idea what I was watching but I thought it was cool as shit.

OTOH if I see one more card game on ESPN, I'm gonna scream.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Old backpacking joke...

If you are lost in a forest what is the easiest way to get rescued?

Start a game of solitare and someone will be there to say "Move that card here instead" in about 10 minutes. :D

The Duece will be playing even more cards this year due to its high ratings last year :S
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

You have to think...unless you're a skydiver, or want to be, there is nothing interesting about watching skydiving. Most whuffo's think it's crazy and do nothing but damn the sport, the rest that enjoyed watching it - once seems to be enough for them.

***Free bird Forever

You have to think...unless you're a skydiver, or want to be, there is nothing interesting about watching skydiving. Most whuffo's think it's crazy and do nothing but damn the sport, the rest that enjoyed watching it - once seems to be enough for them.

***Free bird Forever

Yup, I have shown videos to a variety of whuffos and even friends that have made a few tandems - all of them get bored to tears quick.

I remember watching the XGame Skysurfing stuff before I started jumping. It was always my favorite part of the games, but I never understood what they were doing, just that it looked cool.

Even if I had no idea what skydiving felt like or had no basic concept of it. I would still rather see it than the 'Rock Paper Scissors' championship that FOX sports was running in prime time last week. It was a full on production. But, you cant get a couple bucks to televise a swoop comp. IMO the american media just plain sucks

the answer is simple
on a Barcelona-Real Madrid soccer match there are
98 934 seats (all occupied) * 30 euro (140$) - = almost 3 millions euros/night * 38 days/year = 114 milions/year (ONLY TICKETS)*20 teams*6-7 leagues in europe* second leagues* and the math can go on...
think... when u (as a sponsor) have 50.000 (average) spectaors on a single event and have 50 (average) events/year for sure u`ll get more publicity

now there are milions who watch soccer at tv... how many will watch a skydiving competition?

why i talk about math... i`m confused... why i... omg i even dont speak english
it`s all about numbers

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

DZ Overhead, lack of mainstream publicity and interest in actually jumpin themselves (I find this less at DeLand, lots of people come out to watch the jumpers and eat lunch), lack of knowledge of saftey of our sport, and no chance of it being a spectator sport when you can't see from the ground what is going on. Too high risk for most people to swallow.

Obviously I don't have much skydiving experience but I have tons of business and real life experience. NO skydiving company is run like a real business, its sad, there wont' be lucrativeness in the sport until the manuf. and dz's get with the program. PD has done an awesome job as of late changing their manuf. practices, it can be done but most companies aren't willing to put in the time or effort to see things through.

You must have money to make money.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

finally some one come with a god answer.

as I was saying BAD MARKETING.;)

but in the other side we got skydivers who believe that or the own sport god skydiving should't be popular!
I completely disagree with that stament because popularity is what make an sport to grow, to get better, to evolve.

don't you think??
Medusa

Patent pending ATFK15456

Lets see what your answer is in another 5-6 years of jumping ;)

I used to have this same fight when I started jumping except I had your view point. Getting out of my "Skydiving is the World" bubble sure did open my eye to how Whuffos really think of jumping. Experience dealing with kids exposed to BMX and skateboarding opened my eyes to how kids idolize those people and try to be just like them as soon as possible. One idiot teenager I know (out of only 5 skaters I know) tried to do a back flip on one of his first times in a half pipe because he had watched it so many times on ESPN that he thought it was easy as can be. A split open helmet and probally a concussion later he decided that back flips are'nt that easy.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

any way I will like to see that 12 year old in a DZ asking to let him jump solo because he want to do transition in head down.

all I'm talking about is to create a conscience about skydiving as a sport not as the ultimate adrenaline experience, they have bush gardens and six flags for that;)

I'm saying this because most of my friend believe I jump out of planes just for the rush "and in part I do" and they don't realized that there are physical abilities involve in it, they think that skydiviers are not athletes.
why??
because the skydiving marketing present skydiving as an amusement park attraction.

and thats the world mentality about skydiving my friend[:/]
Medusa

Patent pending ATFK15456

Here is a question... how many hours a day do you spend running and hitting the gym to get better at jumping?

Generally skydivers are more out of shape then any other sport I can think of. All you have to do is walk to the plane, exit and walk in from landing. A whole lot of effort is needed to do that :D A true athlete to me are the adventure racers. 30-50 miles in 24 hours either by running, climbing, biking, kayaking or a combo. That takes training and effort. Skydiving does'nt.

because the skydiving marketing present skydiving as an amusement park attraction.

Perfect marketing for it too. Its not safe, there is nothing safe about it. If anyone markets it as safe they are out right lying to the customer.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com