Zenister

Uses for an Expired Cypress?

All the ideas so far have been dumb as hell. ;)

Why not make a freefall SOMETHING (assuming you jump at a place that might let you do this) and have it be CYPRES activated. Have it release something at cutter-time! Take it on a fun dive! It could be a like a freefall pinata. Confetti? Nuns? Canaries? Who knows!:P

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Is there a viable market for sell it to someone in a country where they don't have to follow the 12 year limit/mfg instructions, such as Russia, South America?

Maybe it is not feasible.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Even if you aren't going to get another Cypres, sell it to someone else that can get the discount.

This is a Cypress:
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Right up to the point the FAA takes a look at the rig and sees its out of compliance with the FAR's and your rigging ticket gets yanked as well as the pilots licence. :S

Yeah that may be true but they would have to open the rig to find out... I would venture to guess that most packing cards, at least the majority that I know about, dont have a space for AAD info/maintance...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Yeah that may be true but they would have to open the rig to find out... I would venture to guess that most packing cards, at least the majority that I know about, dont have a space for AAD info/maintance...

Ya, but if you ever got seriously hurt or worse, the FAA will take your rig to inspect... They find the cypres out of date, the pilot will get reprimanded and the DZ will have issues...

The odds are real low, but that would not be the Christmas present you would want to leave behind...

I really like the idea of rigging up a cool something or other, changing the altitude on the unit and having it fire in freefall. Maybe even on your main, although you would need to turn it on at a higher than field elevation since the altitude adjustment only goes up 1500 ft. And you would have to have a ripcord and spring-loaded pilot-chute. And be willing to sacrifice a closing-loop. And there are probably other things to take into consideration. But with a good rigger and a little cash, along with a little training to re-learn ripcord rigs, as well as the awareness that you should definitely be ready to pull for yourself, it could be a lot of fun. I would do it if I was confident in the planning. Or you could toss it in a pressure chamber and try to activate it and get to watch. That would be mildly entertaining.

they still work just fine. become a rigger and you can keep it forever.

If you are going to rig, rig right or don’t rig at all. Where do you draw the line on what you will fudge on? Following only the rules you want is a fucked up attitude. >:( Too cool to die, want to bet?:(

I use expired cypres units on reserves rigged on test items. If the test item does not work the cypres fires the reserve and saves the $10,000 worth of telemetry.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I vote with the sell/give it to russia ... or rig something for free fall... a parachute on a fish bowl? I want pics :)

I am Russian! Give it to me! I know a guy buys them for $100 apiece and sells me a new unit at dealer price :)

Technically, though, we follow the book. Although if we went completely by The Book, all foreign gear would be illegal to jump here. :\

Send the Cypres back to Airtec and claim the discount on a new unit, or if you don't want a new Cypres then give it to someone who will be buying one. Airtec like to have then back so they can analyze the data in the memory, helps with R&D.

The reason the unit has a life of 12 years is because the manufacturer believes this is the limit that they can guarantee the reliability of the electronic components. Giving or selling an expired Cypres to someone to use simply because they may get away with it is simply irresponsible.

I am a rigger and I would never knowingly supply or certify equipment that was substandard to another skydiver, no matter where they live.

13 year old cypres that still "boots" and counts to "0" or NO cypres at all... and a country where you are not risking the DZ or the Pilot to jump it... your call. me I'll take the old unit knowing that just like a brand new one it may not work to save me.. just another "chance"... I'd take it

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Is there a viable market for sell it to someone in a country where they don't have to follow the 12 year limit/mfg instructions, such as Russia, South America?

Maybe it is not feasible.

Huh? The manufacturer says it has a limited lifespan, but he should sell it somewhere where they don't have the oversight to notice this?

Then when it fails, it will be all Airtechs fault, because they didn't engineer in some sort of self destruct mechanism at the end of its 12 year service life.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Then when it fails, it will be all Airtechs fault, because they didn't engineer in some sort of self destruct mechanism at the end of its 12 year service life.

NO its not Airtech's fault, the product was not used as they instructed so any failure is not their fault... but if a jumper who would have died is saved by a 12+ year cypres are you really gonna be upset that they used it? you think airtech is really gonna begrudge them their continued life? I have no problem with a 12 year life span, when mine goes I'll get a new one for myself I've deemed the considerable expense worth it to me, and within my ability to pay. some jumpers may have differing cost bennifit equations, and as long as they are not risking the pilot or DZ I'm not gonna give them sh.t for using a "retired" cypres insted of no cypres at all

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.