mjosparky

Remember when

Anyone know how much energy it would take to produce block of ice?

R.I.P.

I live in a house that was built in 1906. I have slots by the back door for TWO ice boxes. This was an upscale house apparently. They drilled holes in the floor for the iceboxes to drip the ice directly into the basement.
Around here, they cut ice from the Mississippi River in the winter, and stored it in huge warehouses that had enormous outer walls that were insulated with 18 to 24 inches of newspaper insulation.
Of course, I am a youngster, and don't remember any of this, but I have seen the pictures and have the house for proof.
My house also has a couple of holes in the floor where the pulley for the damper on the chimney was located. That way, you raise the heat in the house up, without having to go all of the way down to the basement to mess with the furnace. Very uptown.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Hi Jerry~

remember getting a free towel inside of the laundry soap box,

butcha' cain't buy 'em! Cain't Buy em?! No! They're free with DUZ!

or a dinner plate with a fill up at the local Texaco?

You could trust your car to he man who wears the the Star, the big bright Texaco Star!

Great advertising, I remember it to this day. Now who remembers the duo, who did the lines from DUZ detergent?

skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I can remember back in the day when the apt house converted the boiler from coal to Oil.

No more banging on the pipes early in the morning to wake the super up to statrt sheveling coal in the furnace for hot water and heat.

In college the real estate investor converted the coal room into a inexpensive one room flop for a poor college student. Lucky for me I could afford more than that. thanks to the G.I. Bill $175/month paid for eveerything tuition rm & board, books and jumping.

Had a room on the second floor. Every place there was a door in the house was made into a single room. The basement had a kitchen that was never cleaned and was divided into flops with pallet wood.

Life was good.:)

One Jump Wonder

these were commonplace, and what the heck those pencils were doing never occurred to us?

Dam Dolls

I couldn't decide between here and BV's sick and twisted thread, but seeing as how this is a true story :$:) I thought this thread.

Why did that picture elicit a thought about christmas tree angels??

these were commonplace, and what the heck those pencils were doing never occurred to us?

Dam Dolls

I couldn't decide between here and BV's sick and twisted thread, but seeing as how this is a true story :$:) I thought this thread.

Why did that picture elicit a thought about christmas tree angels??

That is why we have always used a star on the tree.;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

headoverheels

***Remember when it was called Jr. High not middle school?

:ph34r:

We just had elementary (1-7) and high school (8-12).

Growing up, it was Elementary K-5, Middle 6-8 and High 9-12
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

oldwomanc6

[quote

My dad and I use to go shooting every weekend, there was a small closed off, unventilated room in the basement with a gas stove where we would cast bullets a couple days a week...when the molds would get too hot I'd let them cool off by resting them an asbestos pad.

Lead fumes & asbestos ~ Yummy! B|

Doesn't seem to have have have have have done me any harm...:)

My dad used to load his own ammo, too. My sibs and I used to play with molten lead on a regular basis. All of which was unsupervised, too! :o Soldiers, bullets, toy cars, etc... None of us got hurt either, beyond a minor drip of lead on a finger which we just shook off. :)

I do remember a neighbor kid getting a pretty nasty burn from an Easy Bake Oven. Those light bulbs were pretty unforgiving :P

edit to add: Every time we would stop for gas, one of us would be tasked with the job of getting out and scouring the gas station for lead tire weights that had fallen off vehicles. The reward was first melting rights.

But those Mattel Vacu-Forms, you could do some real damage with those. But you couldn't remelt the metallic sheets.

oldwomanc6

I forgot "DUCK AND COVER!" drills

That was one advantage of growing up in West Virginia. Everyone hated and distrusted the Federal Government, even in the 50s. I remember in maybe second grade, 1960 or so, a teacher came into the room and started talking in low tones to our teacher. These two ladies were discussing Duck and Cover. The one was new and didn't know what to do. I was close enough to overhear it and it's the first time I heard the joke about "In case of nuclear attack put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye."
We never did do the drills