fergs

Landing wingsuit rumours

Good luck to him, though.

He's going to need more than luck.

A change of the laws of physics would help - and maybe research into landing canopies loaded to 12.5 to one, without a flare - on your face...

t
It's the year of the Pig.

A change of the laws of physics would help - and maybe research into landing canopies loaded to 12.5 to one, without a flare - on your face...

It ought to be possible to "flare" a wingsuit.

That said, I think that landing a wingsuit at the current level of technology is pretty much impossible without serious injury (obviously, Den proved that it is possible _with_ serious injury).

Jeb is good people. I wish him all the best, and I'll be bummed if he goes in trying this. But I like to think I've got some idea what's driving him, and I'll certainly be one of the first to send him a case of beer (if he is successful) or a get well card (if he's in the hospital).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hopefully you won't send a note to the family Tom...

I dream about it...taking it down a ski slope...I know few in the Alps that would be perfect. Then I look at my wife and all the things I live for...so it just stays as a dream. Call me chicken.
Memento Audere Semper

Dont get me wrong, sarcastic british humour hat off, I wish them well but unless a very big clever technological cat is being kept in a very tight bag I dont see how at this time, how this is going to happen without serious injury. I also wish them well and have no doubt there flying is excellent, however as said current technology with regard to wingsuit evolution is in its infancy. I am personally more interterested in taking off rather than landing, I quite like the canopy ride;) If he is successful he should be recieving a very large number of beer cases!
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

A bold and risky endeavor for sure, but Jeb's an intelligent guy and he's not approaching this venture haphazardly. Trust me, he doesn't want to be injured or die doing this. He's got a pretty cool life and he wants to keep enjoying it :)
He's got substantial technical support and the financial backing that's enabling him to explore all avenues so that he can execute this feat successfully. In the end, if he doesn't believe it can be done safely, he won't do it. But even putting the wheels into motion to seriously attempt such a thing is an act of daring in itself and I respect him for that.

I and all of his friends have the same concerns everyone else does, but he's had passion for this since he started flying suits years ago, so come what may, we'll love and support him through this journey.

You guys are all thinking this is going to be landed just like a normal wingsuit on a normal DZ in a normal landing area. I am sure that is not the case, I remember reading the article and it said that they were developing 4 seperate technologies to aid in the landing.

After two days of test piloting, Jeb Corliss said landing the wing-suit was possible as early as next year. "We found there is a definite and reasonable speed for a landing attempt sometime next summer. We’re now developing four different types of technologies to land safely—it’s very important to land with zero injuries," said Corliss after analyzing data from the test flight.

While to me it is not truely landing a wingsuit if he flys into a 100ft tall wall of packing peanuts or lime jello, but that would still be considered a landing I guess...

Greenie in training.

Hmm, a totally random, but relevant, thought. Wings on suits have been known to blow out. It's not common or frequent, but it does happen. It could happen to a canopy to, I guess, but it's less likely since a canopy's under less stress (I'd assume), and even if one seam came undone at 100 ft you could probably still land relatively uninjured. But what if you were lined up for the perfect WS landing (disregarding all the obvious skepticism) and at 100 ft a seam popped in your wing and you lost all ability to fly? (or popped during "flare" when it's under the most stress, and you simultaneously are depending on it the most)

I realize that is by far the LEAST of all the concern's probably going through Jeb's head, but it is a valid, if unlikely one. Perhaps he should inspect his seams very thoroughly and wear a BASE rig, just in case, if he does go through with something like this...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Wings on suits have been known to blow out.

I did see Scarry Perry's suit at the bird -man affice. One wing was blow out. I do not know how it happen but the fabric had the look like it really was exploded.
Perhaps Perrry himself can tell more.

A FreeFly Gypsy

As far as I know, he was on the bigway at DeLand, doing nothing but flying his slot normally, and it just up and exploded. That's what I remember the video showing. Now, I'm sure he did some "more than normal" flying on the suit in the past, but the point is that he was flying it normal when it gave out.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I know Perry jumped the same suit in Sweden at the herc boogie.
And god knows where he's been before and how many jumps where on it...

The blown out wings we saw at te Herc Boogie where usualy the result of a only minor tear or broken seam (1 cm) where wind suddenly got in, and just forcefully tore the suit allong a seam. Due to the wind blowing up the whole wing.

As long as a wingsuit is in one piece, it's great and strong, but small tears in the wrong places can suddenly catch a gust a wind and just blow up and break........
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

lets not forget the fortunate souls who forgot leg straps and suit held them together!!!!

I know in the case of the one about a year ago he felt something strange after his bag was extracted and he gorilla gripped his risers, hanging with both hands until landing. The suit didn't take the stress one would think it would have been exposed to after pitching and just waiting.

I know in the case of the one about a year ago he felt something strange after his bag was extracted and he gorilla gripped his risers, hanging with both hands until landing. The suit didn't take the stress one would think it would have been exposed to after pitching and just waiting.

Glen

Who is "he"?

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com