superstu

What WLing did you start swooping at?

Just curious to see at what WLing people started to work on "speed inducing" landings or swooping? i would define speed induced landings as something you do to PURPOSELY create more speed with your canopy for landing (ie front riser turns, double fronts, toggle turns, rear riser turns, harness turn, ect.)

For me it was 1.2 on a stiletto 150
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

1.3 on a S2 170....

In progress. I am doing 180s these days. 95% of the jumps I have are on this canopy so I figured it would be a good start. I want to get something a little zippier but not till I am consistant at doing 270s on this one. That won't be till late this year or the begining of next. (Just based on how many jumps I am doing a month and how many I want to stay doing 180s for / figure it will take for me to understand them)

Its not awesome but its fun for me.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

1.24 on a sabre2 170. i've learned a ton on it and it's performance potential is still huge. i'll be flying it for many more jumps. the only thing that seems to be different on it than on higher performance canopies/WL's is the fact that its recovery arc is shorter.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Started doing double fronts as some bizarro way to lose extra altitude to not overshoot my targets on a Triathlon 220 (loaded at 1.0). Started doing 90s on a Sabre2 190 (loaded at 1.2) at about 175 jumps after/during a canopy coaching course. Oh and this was all at altitude.

I wasn't supposed to be a swooper. Where did I go wrong? :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Less than 1 to 1 under my ol' trusty Maverick. With a strong double front riser approach (and once I put a collapsable PC on it) I could actually make that puppy climb!

I really learned how to swoop under a Blade Runner 150 though, loaded about 1.3.

Canuck

A Cruiselite 220 sq ft, F-111 seven cell, because at the time, it was a
high aspect ratio, high performance canopy relative to the 5 cell Viking
Superlite.

I think I was loaded to about 0.8 and the margin for error was slim as the recovery arc was very similar to the line length.

From there to a Nimbus (9 cell 220 sq ft)
Then a Coe-D 210 (PD-210)
Then a PD 170
Then Perigrine 150 (Excalibur copy)
Then Jonathan 120
Then Stilleto 107

and that's where I am now, after 20 years and 4600 dives...

No hurry...

t
It's the year of the Pig.

sabre2 170 started with double fronts worked through 180s and then moved to the 150 sabre2 as the riser pressure got a little extreme as I lost weight...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

1.5 on a Stiletto 135 @ 220 jumps
(my 1st canopy which I bought after coming back to the sport and doing 60 jumps in 2 months on a borrowed sabre 150)

My ignorance put me there.
The fact that I'm alive and unharmed is I guess mostly luck that I only once was in a situation that left me few options or little time (picture attached) and even then I didn't get hurt.

Haven't changed WL yet and don't plan to for a long time, although I moved to a Pilot 132 which I love. Currently doing slow 90s when traffic permits.

The attached picture shows the only close call I had not many jumps after getting the stiletto. First I slightly hit the ground with my knees during the flare. It was not a corner thing, I just misjudged the length of my legs :S. We were all landing in a slight downwind, I was going fast (by my standards), so when I brushed the ground with my knees I freaked out by the sudden involuntary balance shift and stopped flying the canopy correctly and you can see how the wing is not helping my landing... this wrong reaction was the result of my lack of proper skills to handle a surprise.

For those looking to be aggressive, be careful. You will most likely eventually screw up, and if your skills arent up there yet, only luck will keep you unharmed then.

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.