coho21

Rubber bands vs.....

Ok before you go and tell me to look through the archives I already have. Plus I have gotten a lot of opinions about this from many other people that are very informed on the subject. I just wanted to hear what you all thought.

In looking through the archives I didn't find any clear statements as to a draw back to Skybands, Sky Bandz, or Tube Stows on any of the d-bag stows besides the locking stows. I guess where I'm going with this is that I'm flirting with the idea of using a stow band other than regular rubber bands and would like to know of any drawbacks.

Does anyone know of any drawbacks to using these, Tube Stows, or Sky Bandz?

Thanks.
Jensen
YSd#0009

I'm definitely not an expert, but here's a direct quote from "The Skydiver's Survival Guide":
"Use parachuting-quality rubber bands... it is more desirable to have the lines pulled as they release, resulting from the band's flat shape, rather than rolling off (releasing free) as they do with tubular stows. The roll off may cause line dump or hard openings.
Tubular stows last longer and are more difficult to break than rubber bands. If used incorrectly, they are also more likely to cause a bag-lock malfunction. Tubular stows stretch as they age, and in order to achieve adequate line retention you must replace them or double-stow (wrap the band twice around the same bite of line). Double stowed tubular bands may be dangerous. As mentioned earlier, they may not break or release the lines, causing a bag lock malfunction.
A stretched-out stow band is the equivalent of using a band that is too big. With loose stows, lines release out of sequence (line dump), which can cause hard openings.
Whether you use rubber bands or tube-style bands, all stows should require a pull force of about 12 to 14 pounds to release."
Again, this is just what the book says; I'm no expert. Hope that helps a little!
Lolie

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Tube stow haters are always telling me I'm asking for a bag lock, but I love my tube stows. If they really were that prone to bag lock, they'd be taken off the market.... or I'd at least know someone who had one from them. I double stow my tube stow (I can hear you all groaning) from day one (never had one stretch.) I make sure it is not at all twisted and I don't do long stow bites. Nuttin' but lovely openings. Give em a shot and make up your own mind on em!

Fall in dove.

Why?

Why would you want to use anything other than mil-spec rubber bands?

The cost of 10 tube stows or superbandz is in the $5-$10 range; Or 50 cents to a dollar per stow. The cost of 275 rubber bands (1lb) is $8; or 3 cents per band.

I replace about one band every 10 jumps. A pound of rubber bands should last me 2750 jumps. Some how I doubt a set of the higher cost bandz or stows will last that long.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Why?

I replace a tube stow (1, not the whole set) about every 100-300 jumps. There are 9 tube stows to a pack. That's 900-2700 jumps one pack will last me, a a lot of time and aggavation saved by not having to dig out rubber bands and replace them. I pack quickly, 5 minutes-ish and if I had to stop and go to my bag and dig out a rubber band, remove the old one (sometimes a real pain), and install a new one, it would add considerable time to my packing. Tube stows work for me and save me lots of time and energy. Cost in the long run is probably fairly close, w/ tube stows saving time and energy. So for me, tube stows are the way to go.

Hook

I've used Tube Stows, they work quite well. Potential for baglock is there, mostly if you use them with a seam and the seam pointing up. If the tube stows have a seam or joint, use that portion to wrap around the stow on the main bag. I have seen one bag lock due to improper use.
I believe they make tube stows now that are continous, with no joint.
I'm using sky bands now and they work really well. No draw back that I can see at all.

JJ
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

a lot of time and aggavation saved by not having to dig out rubber bands and replace them

Hold on -- "a lot of time and aggrevation"... gee ... is it really THAT big a deal? I mean, sure, if you like tube stows, whatever... but you make it sound like using rubber bands is worse than packing up an moving to another town!

Look for me this weekend and I'll give you some of the blue SkyBands.

Argh, I want blue Skybands... Where'd you get them from? Square 1?

I got them from Ralph the Skyband dude. I'm sure they got 'em at Perris, or call GroundZero at Elsinore.

Look for me this weekend and I'll give you some of the blue SkyBands.

Argh, I want blue Skybands... Where'd you get them from? Square 1?

I got them from Ralph the Skyband dude. I'm sure they got 'em at Perris, or call GroundZero at Elsinore.

Doh, just found the email address and phone number on the info sheet from my last bag. Thanks

--
Hook high, flare on time

>Why?
>
>Why would you want to use anything other than mil-spec rubber bands?

Another thing, one that hasn't been mentioned here...

I recently(this last summer that is) started to have serious problems with the skin of my fingers. After a weekend at the DZ, the skin on my fingers would be all dried up and cracked.

I didn't connect this with the rubberbands though, until a rigger mentioned it. He'd had the same problem with the regular ones, but it went away when he switched to tubestows. I guess it could be an allergy of some sort.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Erno

>Why?
>
>Why would you want to use anything other than mil-spec rubber bands?
Another thing, one that hasn't been mentioned here...
I recently(this last summer that is) started to have serious problems with the skin of my fingers. After a weekend at the DZ, the skin on my fingers would be all dried up and cracked.
I didn't connect this with the rubberbands though, until a rigger mentioned it. He'd had the same problem with the regular ones, but it went away when he switched to tubestows. I guess it could be an allergy of some sort.
Anyone else with similar experiences?
Erno

Some people are allergic to those latex gloves. Dunno what rubber bands are made of exactly but it could be something similar...

I had a rigging customer come to drop off his rig. We pulled the reserve and then I took the main out. This was in the middle of Michigan winter and the rig was cold. When I pulled the lines out of the two black tube stoes he used for locking stows they did NOT retract. The stayed stretched out until they warmed up, then they retracted. So, in cold weather they would not have been providing much if any tension on the locking stows. This is a reason not to use some tube stows in the northern US or other cold climates. I prefer to have my lines held tighter than tube stoes provides. I also like having something that will break easier if necessary. I bought some sky bands this year but haven't tried them yet.

As an aside, a key to replacing rubber bands is to just pull on one broken end as close to the knot as possible this will break the rubber band again, usually at the knot and the remenants will fall off.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Some people are allergic to those latex gloves.

Yes, latex allergies can develop over time, and they can get pretty nasty. My father used latex gloves for surgery for years, until he finally connected the skin rash, athsma symptoms, and other nasty stuff he'd been increasingly dealing with to the gloves. He had to switch to a special kind of non-latex glove, and apparently the sensitivity is very common with doctors who have used latex for a long time. I remember at a birthday party once my dad absent-mindedly blew up a balloon for me and immediately developed a severe wheeze and rash.

Rubber bands dry out my fingertips and rip up my cuticles, but at only a few packjobs a week max, it's not really an issue for me yet.
Skydiving is for cool people only