rapper4mpi

What YOU pay for a repack

I use the same guy Alex does - 55 bucks to repack my Racer and is very picky - as a matter of fact he wasn't 100% satisfied with the last repack he did for me and repacked it again - no charge- plus fixing some bad elastic on my main risers- I feel rates aren't so much an issue but quality should be- My .02!
Life begins at 14,000' - Shut up and jump!

Perris - retail is $70, I get a break cuz of where I work so I pay $56. They do a damn good job, and I'm a senior rigger myself so I only have it done once a year.

$70.00? Why so expensive? That seems way out of line with the rest of country.
-
Jim

Why so expensive?

Overhead. It's a full time (7 days per week), full service loft. They do everything; I&R's and assemblies, line set replacements, and minor to major canopy, container and harness repairs. There are usually anywhere from 3 to 6 employees; they have a seperate building on the dz at Perris, "regular" and harness sewing machines, etc.
I've seen them work. I think the extra money is worth it.
pull and flare,
lisa

Mine is a Racer and I've noticed they tend to run a little higher- But my rigger has my pop top very flat- the reason why he re-packed it was he didn't get it as flat as he liked- I was OK with it- Talk about pride in workmanship!
Life begins at 14,000' - Shut up and jump!

YOU pack it the other two times?

I don't like the idea of the reserve being handled any more than absolutely neccessary. Taking it out of the container once a year (if it's not used) is enough for me. I inspect my container and harness on a regular basis. I have my own seal; it's my ass and since I'm a rigger I can sign it off every 120 days. I know many riggers who do the same thing, including one who never has a reserve repacked - his gets assembled then stays in the container until it's used (once it's used he gets rid of it and buys another).
pull and flare,
lisa

skybytch,
You brought up an interesting point in this whole debate about how long a the repack cycle should be.
First of all, I find damage inside reserve containers maybe 1% of the time. The vast majority of wear and tear occurrs on to the harness and outside of the container.
I have suggested several times that if we extend repack cycles on student gear, then a a rigger should do an external inspection every 100 days.
As for gear used by licensed jumpers ... rubber bands and Cypres batteries only last 2 years.
Let's hear some other opinions.

You know, I just opened my two rigs after being packed about 8 months. My Reflex ZP Reserve PC pretty much stayed folded up in the spring. My Raven resere came out like a brick. We've all seen some canopies that come out like a wet rag and some canopies that come out like a brick and take extra force to shake open. Until the calendaring and other processing of the materials is more consistent I don't favor 180 day repacks and I don't leave it in forever. Now, I've also open a reserve that I packed after the guy had been pencil packing it for two and a half years. Normally I wouldn't have packed for someone that had forged my or another riggers name but I wanted to see what it looked like. This guy did not take care of his rig and made about 500 jumps a year. The reserve came out just like I put it in. I also opened a rig that took 15lb of force to pull the bag off the canopy once the locking stows were open. The canopy had stuck to the coated inside of the freebag. I've only seen that once but it was pretty scary. The guy had left his rig in the car most of the summer so he could go to the DZ from work, but it wasn't more than a couple weeks past due. All of these probably would have opened but may have taken extra time, especially in a low speed deployment.
I'm a little suprised at a rigger that doesn't want to pack his own rig, even if it's only once a year. I became a rigger because I didn't trust anyone else, and I've gained a reputation as being the "picky" and "thorough" rigger in the area.
Anyway, here in MI I charge $40 for normal inspect and repack and don't usually charge much for other maintenance needed.
Terry

If you go in due to a reserve malfunction, the pilot of the aircraft could be in serious trouble.

If the seal on the reserve is mine, the data card has my signature, seal and number on it, dated within 120 days, and my log book is up to date? If that's the case then the pilot of the aircraft could be in serious trouble if ANYBODY goes in on a reserve malfunction on an in date reserve repack.
pull and flare,
lisa