21 21
quade

DB Cooper

(edited)
45 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

Would there be DNA in somebody's shoe?

-------

I wouldn't take those articles to imply that Cossey made, or actually manufactured the chutes. In the one article, it sounds like he made a repair on a pilot chute that he would recognize. In the other article, I would take that as perhaps he assembled the rigs. Generally, the harness/container is one part, and the canopy is another part. They are kind of 'mix & match', that is, you could put whatever canopy into whatever container, as long as the pack volume of the canopy is compatible with the size of the container.

Cossey has claimed it was his chute and he modified the rip cord making it more difficult to open... for anyone that didn't know.

Point is,,, many contradictions beyond the chute numbers..

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

Cossey was at home during the time the hijacking actually happened. Only Linn Emerick at SkySports had contact with both the people who requested the chutes, and the two State Patrolmen who picked them up and delivered them to the airport. 

I saw a quote back there last page where Cossey says he had one of the chutes returned to him in 1975. That is a bald-faced lie. All chutes are accounted for. Fake reserve went out the back of the 727. One was used in the jump. One was popped for its paracord and is still in the possession of the FBI. Fourth was returned to Hayden and sits at the WA ST History Museum. Cossey was lying. 

"All chutes present and accounted for!" B)

Cossey did a lot of weird shit over the years, and SAID a lot of weird shit regarding those parachutes. He tops it off by trying to claim the Amboy chute was silk, which you can determine with a simple Bic lighter test. Why would he do that? Here's one good reason. Perhaps because he had piled so much BS, mostly on reporters over the years...that even if he thought the Amboy chute was Cooper's he wouldn't say so. By admitting it was probably Cooper's....maybe all the other baloney he piled on reporters over the years would finally come out into the open. So he would not be motivated to ID it as Cooper's. 

Hell...it was all a big joke to him anyway. Look what he did later on the same day with the Seattle Times? He told them it WAS Cooper's. 

On a stranger note, after Cossey was killed I looked into the case and discovered a few choice facts. I sent a report to the King County Sheriff's Office. It was ignored and it was a solid report, I can assure you. Then I did the video for YouTube. Then....Cossey's nephew makes a comment saying I shouldn't be sticking my nose into it. 

I replied, "Maybe, but how come YOU aren't shouting to high heaven on why they can't seem to find your uncle's killer? You DO want someone brought to justice for it, don't you?" (paraphrased)

He didn't answer. The whole thing with Cossey's murder is weird anyway. I still think it wasn't random, but done by someone who knew Cossey. There was a sign out front saying the home had a burglar alarm. Someone knew that wasn't true. The alarm had been disabled months before he was killed. Knowing these things, your next question would be:  Who stood to gain by Cossey's untimely death? His wife and he were either separated or divorced. Cossey also gambled a lot. And why would someone mail back his wallet and ID? Even the cops were very closed-mouthed about the whole thing, even more than normal. In a town meeting, (Cossey was well known) the mayor and the police chief admitted that at least a few items were missing from the home. And years later, they still haven't solved the case, or even have a suspect. 

Weird. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Non-Negative Message for Shutter over at the DB Cooper Forum: (Since I know you and some of your users read this thread.)

Shutter: I have seen a recent comment by you saying its 'been three weeks and still waiting" regarding me posting up the identity or any details regarding the New York City producer currently working on creating some type of TV program on the Cooper case. 

Edit: I did drop by the Cooper Forum and saw your response. Okay, so I guess you are fully informed. Good luck working with him then. He's a solid guy. I told him he was more than welcome to bring a film crew and cover the festival, but I wasn't going to participate in any more TV shows on Cooper personally, or try to pitch Kenny Christiansen for a TV audience. He is considering the idea but I have no word on that yet. If you guys cooperate with him, the best of luck to you. 

As far as the views to the YouTube video on the Festival, I don't worry about that. We already have 26 people on one email list, some of whom have expressed interest in attending, and just over 150 more on our public email list, ALL of whom want to go at this point. And it's only the first week of February. Event isn't until mid-June. I'm sure we will have to cut off further apps to attend long before June arrives. B) 

Most apps aren't originating from YouTube views. Most of them are coming via views to the Festival page at the AB website, and from people who have already applied to go telling their friends about it. Others say they read the WordPress article, or heard about the event at Quora dot com or maybe Facebook, maybe Twitter. Who knows? Mostly I don't ask. I just process their applications. The only thing I'm not sure about is when to cut off the email applications. There is no way for me to tell how many that get on the update list to attend will actually show up. Maybe a third, maybe half, maybe ALL of them. It's a tricky business because we really can't go over 250 total attendees, or we will start running out of space and exceeding our permit. I don't want to have to turn people away after driving so far to go, so you see the dilemma we're in here. When do you say 'enough'? No one here is sure how far to take the email list(s).  

As far as Bruce Smith not wanting to participate in the Festival, this doesn't concern me. Bruce is his own man. He does what he wants. We will find someone to host, I'm sure. The job pays quite well, and the responsibilities are pretty minimal. We offered it to him because we thought it was the decent thing to do, nothing more. If nobody from the Cooper Forum wishes to be involved, we see that as their decision. Everybody does what they think is best for them at the time. 

Frankly, after reading some of your comments about us (AB of Seattle and myself), I think the concept of 'you do your thing, and we do ours...' is probably the best all-around policy for everyone. However, a few of your forum members have expressed an interest in participating. A couple in person. A couple with possible videos for the audience. No one is automatically excluded, but participation is on the same level as everyone else. You must apply to attend. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and our non-negotiable requirement that all attendees or speakers must prove they've been vaccinated...no 'drop ins' will be allowed. In other words, if you aren't on the confirmed list, and your name isn't on that list, you can't attend. The only exception of course is anyone who participates remotely by sending in a video presentation or the like. But even in that case, participants must apply to make a presentation before we can accept it. This is why everybody has to go through either the Contact Form, or use the abofseattle email address. There is no other way. 

I can already see our biggest problem won't be getting people to show up. It's how we will create a 'final' list of approved names prior to the festival. All sorts of proposals have been made by Greg and a couple of the volunteers helping us. Nothing has been decided for sure yet on how exactly to do this, but I'm sure we'll figure it out. There are more angles to this than even I realized. Covid brought this on, not me. If I had my way about it and Covid didn't exist, I would just toss the event open to anyone and everyone. It's a pain in the butt, but like I said...we will figure it out. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
Heavily edited for clarity

Greg has come up with a simple solution to our problem. He says we should change the website pages at AB and say that the first 250 people who apply....AND submit their proof of vaccination before June 1...should be placed on the confirmed list. He tells me anyone who actually takes the time to send the proof will almost certainly show up. And then close it off and send out the PDF's/Word doc to everyone on the list. We then delete the video and the two pages at AB of Seattle, leaving only a short notice saying the event will be held, and how to get hold of us by email if there are any additional questions. By doing it this way, he says, at least two-thirds of them will actually show up, and we won't be exceeding capacity of the site. The holders of the PDF's will have our full contact information anyway, including our cell numbers and the FRS and CB frequencies we're using for the festival. Also the maps of course, the guest speaker list, details on scheduled events, suggestions on gear to bring, etc. Sounds like a good plan to me. 

I already checked cell phone coverage for the site. It's 3-G anyway, and probably more if you have Verizon, which is not bad for that far off the beaten path. 

It was described as no "particular" accent....

Not no accent at all, or no discernible accent.

and no particular accent alone does not indicate Midwest.

So, Cooper's language or knowledge must be the reason the FBI said possibly Midwest.

Beyond "Minneapolis,, was vey nice country" we don't have all of Cooper's interactions..

The Minneapolis comment isn't enough on its own to claim he was from the Midwest, there must be more that the FBI hasn't released.

(edited)
2 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

It was described as no "particular" accent....

Not no accent at all, or no discernible accent.

and no particular accent alone does not indicate Midwest.

So, Cooper's language or knowledge must be the reason the FBI said possibly Midwest.

Beyond "Minneapolis,, was vey nice country" we don't have all of Cooper's interactions..

The Minneapolis comment isn't enough on its own to claim he was from the Midwest, there must be more that the FBI hasn't released.

It could be that Cooper just tossed off a Minneapolis comment simply because a lot of folks knew that NWA was based out of Minneapolis. (Although I thought he said 'Minnesota,' but I would have to check notes.)

I'm not sure what a 'Midwest accent' is anyway. I've seen videos on YouTube that had people from Illinois, Ohio, etc on them. They didn't sound any different to me than the average. There are local accents in the USA (Valley Girl speak, southern accent, many residents of Boston, or New Jersey for example, that are easy to recognize.) But I couldn't tell you the slightest thing about a 'Midwest' accent. That is a very generalized term and I have seen no examples of such a thing. 

The only accent I know of among common people in Minnesota is the one parodied a bit in the film, Fargo. And if Cooper had actually spoken as those characters did in the movie, then you could call THAT a 'Midwest accent' I guess. But witnesses would have picked up on that easily. 

Edit: Main AB site has been heavily updated to reflect Greg's plan. I think we finally have the final version that is the most accurate, and fair to everyone. (This ain't easy, if you're wondering. And we haven't even gotten to the hard parts yet.) We set an example by all receiving the Covid vaccine today as scheduled. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Not much news today, although I have convinced Kyle, the guy who with he and a few friends discovered approximately $1,400 in cash buried on suspect Kenny Christiansen's property in 1998...to not only show up for the Cooper Festival in June, but to tell his story. He's also on the Planning Committee for the festival now. Mainly because I need him to help haul some of the gear. (Thanks, Kyle!) He won't have to haul much, though. I've already decided we will have to rent a small U-Haul trailer for the weekend to get everything up there. My truck has a hitch that will handle an eight-footer, which should be enough. 

Still working on having Denise L. and her son Jordan appear and talk about her experience as a 13-year old and walking into the garage at her Uncle Bernie (Geestman's) house in Bonney Lake and telling everyone what she saw Kenny doing...just before he told her she wasn't allowed in there...and for her to get out. She got out all right, but remembered what she saw...but thought little of it until she saw the Decoded show on DB Cooper. Then she came forward, although a little reluctantly at first. She told her story for John Dower's British documentary, but he was only looking for weirdos in the Cooper case. So he cut her part out of the documentary entirely. I was next to her the whole time she told her story for Dower, so I can witness to her story. Sounded like it had the ring of truth to me. A very ordinary lady, she wasn't looking for fame or fortune, but decided she had to come forward. Her picture is below, just after the shoot at the Enumclaw Library. 

SimpleStory2.jpg.ddf7ba963c3b974706c28adeb29398e2.jpg

Dower is/was an idiot, although Minnow Films, who financed his fiasco of a picture, are great. We handed him everything but the kitchen sink, and provided evidence that we STILL haven't revealed publicly on KC...and he ignored all of it. We wasted two full days shooting with him all over Puget Sound...and he left it all on the cutting room floor. Reviewers panned his movie completely, and one said:  "It doesn't come in for a landing..."

We were paid quite well for arranging all this for the documentary, so we just figured it was HIS loss, and not ours. However, this is why we decided to invite these witnesses to participate in the Cooper Festival, so their stories could be told publicly at last. We're even paying Denise and Jordan's expenses to attend. 

Later, the producer on Dower's documentary admitted she was disappointed he decided not to include any of the KC-related testimony on the movie, and apologized to us about it. She wanted it included, but Dower told her he was seeking the 'weirdo' angle in Cooperland...not trying to actually solve the case. (As he had done earlier in his picture, My Scientology Movie.) This was unfair to many of the people who appeared, but mainly to the Forman couple...who I do not consider to be weirdos. Or even Bruce Smith, who I consider misguided more than anything else. 

I did sort of suspect this was the point of Dower's Cooper film all along, especially after the shoot when I happened along the trailer for My Scientology Movie, shown below. He was the director for that one, with his buddy Louis Theroux doing front man duties.

For the Cooper documentary, Dower decided to go in front of the camera instead, with the same basic theme. 

Only Louis Theroux is much better at it... B)

Edited by RobertMBlevins

A midwestern accent is a term for the linguistic definition "General American Accent"...

A slight misnomer since a general American accent is the average. It is not specific but excludes unique accents. It is average American.. It doesn't define midwest regionally.

General American can vary and is not a specific accent or dialect but is the standard way of speaking without specific and unique regional influences. 

For Cooper, they are saying that he has no particular, discernible or specific regional accent.

• Like 1

Hilarious...

Cooper researcher Ulis is running for Congress..

His Cooper research has always been rife with poor logic, factual inaccuracies and crazy self serving theories..  perfect foundation for a grifter or a politician.

He managed to get an entire show produced based on his made up Cooper theory, that takes some audacity...

Here, he continues with the same pattern of juvenile and irrational nonsense to launch a run for Congress.

(Don't want to get into the politics or specifics here)

Politics is all about perceptions, not reality.. the natural draw for Ulis.

(edited)

Someone sent me a bit of history today. The flight schedules for 305 and other NWA flights as of October 1, 1971. I told him he should scan it at max resolution and print it up on card stock for its historical value. Copy shown below, and yes he doesn't mind if I show it. 

My thanks to 'Ryan' for this. He is a retired commercial pilot. We may mount this on a larger collage of other NWA and Cooper-related pictures, (using heavy posterboard) for the Festival as a display. We plan to have some displays for the event anyway. 

FlightSchedule305.jpg

EDIT: I do try to present both sides of issues. I only listened to Ulis' video just this evening. I see he's running as a Democrat. Well, okay. That part works for me. Schweikert, I see (Eric's opponent) well...I checked his voting record and Eric is right about that. Schweikert DID vote against both impeachments, and DID vote NAY on removing the Crazy Lady from her US Congressional committee posts. I am going to remove the EU videos once again, maybe this time for good. (I can be fickle on these things.) 

This also means that Shutter probably won't support EU any longer, due to the fact that Shutter is definitely GOP. This isn't a slam on Shutter necessarily. If we had only ONE political party, they would call us the old Soviet Union. The way I see the GOP right now is that they are simply 'misguided'. The party of Lincoln, Eisenhower, and Reagan have lost their way. Hopefully, this is temporary insanity and not a permanent condition. ^_^ They should wake up and smell the coffee. Some Secretaries of State (on the state level, not Federal) are reporting an unusual trend for this time of year. 

Florida's SOS, for example, reports hundreds of voters changing their party affiliations from GOP to Democrat...although more often they are switching to Independent. This is a sign there is Trouble in Paradise. And if it is happening in Florida, it's happening in other states as well. Whether enough people are doing this to have an effect on future elections, or the midterms cannot be known, but it isn't a good sign for the GOP party. 

Because Eric is running for Congress as a Democrat, and since I am a lifelong member of the Democratic Party...I will support him for Congress. The US staff of AB of Seattle agrees with this decision. Some people GET to Congress and make fools of themselves, as the Crazy Lady from Georgia did. Others walk down those hallowed halls for the first time and suddenly realize the job isn't a joke, and the oath you swear means something. Maybe Eric will end up as the latter. In any case, he's a better choice than his opponent, whose voting record is right out of Proud Boys and Q-Anon. 

Sorry, Shutter. Saw your recent post. No negativity from me. Once Eric's campaign website opens, I will probably make a contribution. I don't hate Eric, I never have...although I had some differences with him regarding certain Cooper gatherings, etc. Hate is a big word and I've seen enough of it to last a lifetime. There are things bigger than the Cooper case.

The way I figure it, the Blast book continues to sell better (wholesale) than it ever has and it's been ten years last month since I released it. Sales are WAY up and I have no idea why because Lightning Source/Ingram doesn't tell you that. They just send the money each month. Inquiries on attending this June's Cooper Festival continue to rack up, slowly sometimes, but steadily. And it's still four months down the road and the news articles haven't even come out yet. (Looks like April for that) After the festival is over, and the Covid scourge finally passes, we're moving to Southern California to a very nice home. All of that past stuff with Eric seems so petty now. And it turns out that the Cooper Festival will almost certainly be the biggest and best of any Cooper event ever done anyway. At this point, I have no doubt of it. 

Seems like the perfect note to retire on.... :handok: 

The movie on Cooper may still come later, but like our moving to SoCal, a lot of that hinges on the damn Covid scourge. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Shutter continues to cower on his own website, and hasn't the guts to make posts like the one he did below, in person to me. 

"It wants to hide inside an imitation..."

Quote: 'Blevins, a lot of your post reflects the quote above. then once again you personally attack me with politics. I don't judge people for political reasons, period. my relationship with Eric will NOT change one bit as if it's any of your business to begin with. you are full of negativity and don't even realize it..the "assumptions" you often make are just as bad...'

LOL you are SO full of it sometimes. Over here at AB, we know you better than you think. The first thing you did when you heard we actually had the nerve and the absolute gall to host our own Cooper Festival...was to go running to the US Forest Service to check up on us about our Non-Commercial Group Permit. You didn't do that to support the event, or to find out what it was all about. You did it in an effort to either discredit the event, or to figure out some way to make it not happen. You didn't get very far with that, did you?

Yes, we have you figured out. You are so loaded with jealousy and bad feelings about us that you would be willing to sacrifice that event and scheme your way to disappointing a lot of people...simply based on your emotions. It just drives you absolutely nuts that we have gotten as far as we have with this event, and you haven't figured out a way to stop it yet, although I'm sure you will continue to try. Some of your own forum members are going around you on this issue and contacting us privately about participating. And I warned them not to say anything about it to you, or on your forum, because this information would not be received well. I even warned them they could be banned from your website. 

You've created 'special pages' about us, mostly inaccurate information, which you keep in place even after we pointed you to some corrections. Such as THIS ARTICLE regarding the purchase of the house by Kenny Christiansen. (It's been there for two years now.) You've been coming after us for a long time. Must piss you off that none of that has had the slightest effect on either book sales, or the festival itself. Many people in Cooperland are no longer listening to you. Especially simple fans of the Cooper case. I see the same few people over and over doing mutual back-scratching for you, not only at the Cooper Forum, but using anonymous identities to attack us over at Bruce's place. Just one of many like it, THIS COMMENT regarding my co-author Skipp Porteous is nothing but a pack of lies. And we know that 'Johnnie Greene' is one of your most-visible and prolific members. Nice folks you hang out with. Before you start calling other folks liars, maybe you should clean up your own house first. 

I also see some of your more reasonable members posting less and less. 

None of it has had the slightest effect on us or what we do, what we have planned. Maybe you should try something else regarding the Cooper case, maybe support something positive for a change. Your website is going nowhere, mainly for two reasons. It is slanted beyond belief. No one can see any of the links you or your members post, not the public anyway. It's a waste of their time and the public's time. At least at Dropzone people can see what's actually being referred to as evidence, while over there all people see is 'You are not allowed to view pictures or links' etc. Members of the Cooper Forum trying to promote their latest book or article or point in the case might as well write it with India ink in a swimming pool, and watch it drift away. 

I always get a kick out of it when you say 'no one listens to me'. That's a laugh. My posts, columns, etc over at Quora dot com probably have more views and interaction with real people than all of the visits to your website, including all posts by your members. Welcome to the Reality Hotel. Top floor, penthouse suite. 

QuoraStatFeb21.jpg

1 hour ago, FLYJACK said:

I scanned the latest file. Didn't see a whole lot of new stuff, except it seems the FBI concentrated on Elsinore pretty heavily, at least for a while. And as usual...everybody and his brother thought they knew who DB Cooper was. Notice that they sure redact the hell out of the files they do release. Geez...give us something once in a while there FBI guys. 

(edited)

Posted by Shutter recently, and obvious he wants an answer:

From my previous post at Dropzone:

"Some of your own forum members are going around you on this issue and contacting us privately about participating. And I warned them not to say anything about it to you, or on your forum, because this information would not be received well. I even warned them they could be banned from your website..." 

Shutter sez: "This is a complete and total LIE." And: "I would really like to know who Robert is telling this to that can support this claim! you have no right to speak for me Robert!"

Nobody is speaking 'for' you. I was speaking for myself. Get real. Did you actually believe that everyone in Cooperland would ignore our invitation to participate in the Cooper Festival?  Yes, a few of your forum members have approached us privately. You have a fair number of members, and not all of them are against the festival as you are. Maybe you should hunt down these traitors and ban them. 

I just process the applications as they come in. Everyone and anyone is invited as long as they register first. (because it's a Covid-free festival, as I've said on websites and the video.) I cannot help it if both the public and some media are beginning to take an interest, you know. I'm just the mule who has to make it happen. Fortunately, I do have some good help and a decent budget. B) 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I'm tiring of this junk rather quickly...From Shutter, (again):

'For those who are confused about the comments above. Robert Blevins is holding a camping trip. he has tried to get me and others involved and I decided not to get involved with him or anything he does a long time ago. I've asked in the post above if anyone has contacted him to validate his claims. I wanted to get this out in the open because it's gone on far to long. I don't ban people for things they do outside of this forum. Mr. Blevins IS trying to speak for me as it's very clear looking at his comments. Robert plays those games, not me. just about everyone who has dealt with him in the past has been conned or blackmailed into something. Meyer Louie, Bruce, Darren and others can confirm this.

I'm not against the idea. I'm against the person who is behind it. it has nothing to do with hatred or jealousy. when ever he gets involved with something it becomes a tool to try and get back at people vs being a event for anything good. I don't want anyone to fear any retaliation from me. this is just a forum to discuss the DB Cooper case. there is nothing magical going on here.

Several other events will surely occur this year given the fact of it marking 50 years. none of them will be promoting any hatred or drama connected to them. Eric is working on a big event that sounds good and is in November. he will promote it and that's all you will hear about.

I'm not demanding anything from anyone. I was trying to get to the bottom of the accusations...'

Well, first no one is accusing you of anything except that you've already made attempts to cause trouble for us, and for no reason except the ones I stated. 

Second, I didn't really bother trying to get you involved. You live in Florida. It's obvious you aren't hopping on a plane in June and coming to Seattle. 

Third, I'm glad to hear you won't retaliate against anyone for participating. 

Fourth, I did try to get Bruce (and to a certain extent Darren) involved in the Cooper movie a couple of years back. Movie is on hold due to Covid, but I mostly did that because I figured Bruce could use the money. Prior to my dropping the option with the original movie guys, I was paid several thousand dollars over a period of about three years, and I thought Bruce deserved the same treatment. Same reason he was invited to host the Festival this year. His right to refuse, and I'm okay with it. 

I don't con people. I usually give it to them straight, which can polarize people. They either love you, or they hate you. 

If you want to know who is involved, get on the Planning Committee for the Festival. Even our email lists are private. All messages except the ones between the Planning Committee members are sent blind carbon copy (BCC) to avoid spammers. 

No one speaks for you except you. This is not a game. Many folks besides myself are involved, and two of us are putting up a great deal of money to host the event. 

I didn't quote this part from you, but I'm glad to hear there will be other Cooper events next year, although I wouldn't count on Eric to do one, since he's announced his intention to run for Congress. 

Take a breather and stop worrying. Everything will be fine, I assure you. The only reason I got miffed with you was when you started going to the US Forest Service with emails about our permit and the event. For no good reason except yes...hatred and jealousy. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Andrade1812 said:

Fly,

Did your search of FBI #55 show anything of interest?

The Elsinore witness mentioned the "suspect" was there mid-late August not July and he remembers Raleigh coupons.  I find this a stretch.... perhaps made up or an embellishment. He remembered the "suspect" had  cigarette coupons...  weird.

The fact that Cooper had Raleigh cigarettes was widely publicized at the time.

Stories that become more detailed over time are often a sign of deception..

elsinorciggs.jpeg.918aa45aa1c9415a396e22ef1966e9ad.jpeg

elsinorAug.jpeg.88e909348b297d448958d0f646b5c1eb.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)
3 hours ago, Andrade1812 said:

This looks like a summary of a second interview, 12-6-71, so it's within a couple of weeks of the hijacking. I'd be more skeptical if this detail came out a year or two later. Instead, it looks like the second debrief.

I think it is BS..  he notices the "suspect" has Raleigh cig coupons, not cigs and recalls that he wants to use them to get a PC,, Para Commander which isn't in the coupon redemption book.

Now, it may be an embellishment and the rest of his story has some legitimacy.. but that part sounds sketchy.

Edited by FLYJACK

2 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

I think it is BS..  he notices the "suspect" has Raleigh cig coupons, not cigs and recalls that he wants to use them to get a PC,, Para Commander which isn't in the coupon redemption book.

Now, it may be an embellishment and the rest of his story has some legitimacy.. but that part sounds sketchy.

I dunno... You could be right, but I can see a scenario where the guy pulls out a pack of cigarettes to have a smoke, makes an offhand joke about the coupons, and the Elsinore guy thinks nothing of it, figures it's an inconsequential part of the conversation, until he learns that Cooper smoked Raleighs and thinks 'oh, yeah'...

(edited)

Clearly, it is my opinion, we can't prove the Elsinore claims are true or false. IMO, the coupon stuff sounds like an embellishment.

Here is the Raleigh coupon book for 1968, there were slight changes each year. I have seen other years.

Start at beginning and use next to go through...

https://www.grayflannelsuit.net/ephemera/raleigh_catalog/cigarette-catalog-index.html

Hahneman made a rare stop at his home and gave his son fishing gear for Christmas 71, fishing gear is in the Raleigh coupon book and delivery is 2-4 weeks.. no way to determine if the fishing gear was from the coupon book.

raleigh-cigarette-coupon-catalog_8.jpg.25ca0f17de3e17f24aa507449eef6453.jpg

Edited by FLYJACK

2 hours ago, Andrade1812 said:

I have a small coupon redemption book from that era and no parachutes, which would be an odd redemption product. Was there a larger catalog or product list?

54 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

Here is the Raleigh coupon book...

Seriously?

I can NOT imagine a mainstream company having parachutes in any kind of coupon book. Skydiving is nowhere near a big enough market to even put a blip on their radar. However, I CAN imagine someone on a drop zone making a JOKE about saving enough coupons for a rig. Skydivers will joke about anything.

4 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

I can see a scenario where the guy... ...makes an offhand joke about the coupons