4 4
quade

DB Cooper

Good Morning Vietnaaaa....uh, I mean Cooper Fans. 

An early morning reminder that our next Cooper Campout happens on August 16-19 and the focus will be on doing videos. This one is fairly short notice, so will be lightly attended I think. Doesn't matter. I got pretty beat up hauling all that gear two hundred and some miles to Oregon for the June campout. If no one showed except me for the August event, I would be fine with that. I have a remote for the video camera and sound gear. :)

After that Oregon trip, wading through threats at Bruce Smith's website saying they were confronting people at our publicly-announced meetup spot...I could use a solo vacation. (*smiles*) Nice folks Bruce hangs with. 

A couple of people have asked to come along, after they saw the invite at WordPress. We may get a couple of additional folks from Infamous Nissan. (the best support group for Nissan owners on the internet) 

Truth is, I just do not care. After the last trip, a solo vacation would be fine with me. 

Should you stay or should you go? Stay home. I got enough friends, as Bruce Willis said in the famous film. B|

Of course the minute I said I didn't care if people came on the August trip...and they could stay home and I would be fine with that...

Some requests to attend came to my email box. Figures. 

Not too many more. Just a couple. One of them from Infamous Nissan, a guy from Puyallup who skipped the June trip because Oregon was too far away. He says the Olympics is more reasonable. Puyallup is just ten miles from where I live, and actually CLOSER to the area we're going. 

I have done more analysis on the tie.

Based on several variables I've identified it was manufactured early 1964 to very late 1964..

It was likely sold early/mid 1964 - early 1965. It was NOT 1963.

Oddly, the FBI docs had claimed the tie was only 1-2 years old based on talking to a Pennys manager. The FBI docs aren't facts, they are investigative "notes".

But, the tie had 6-7 years to collect those particles and there may have been several environments that contributed..

(edited)
9 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

I have done more analysis on the tie.

Based on several variables I've identified it was manufactured early 1964 to very late 1964..

It was likely sold early/mid 1964 - early 1965. It was NOT 1963.

Oddly, the FBI docs had claimed the tie was only 1-2 years old based on talking to a Pennys manager. The FBI docs aren't facts, they are investigative "notes".

But, the tie had 6-7 years to collect those particles and there may have been several environments that contributed..

I always wondered why Cooper just tossed the tie over the seat and left it there. He was reasonably cautious about retrieving other potential evidence. I'm not sure whether that laissez faire attitude regarding the tie means anything or not. I just wondered about it. 

As far as tie styles go through the years, Vintage Dancer probably could help you narrow down the tie question further. She has a very good research page on vintage ties HERE. Her opinion might be valuable. She and her husband seem to know everything there IS to know about ties in general. 

EDIT: I have a very high-def picture of the tie that I created a long time ago. It is on file if you need it. 

EDIT: I have sent an inquiry to Vintage Dancer regarding the tie, asking if she has any opinions about it. Provided her a large, hi-def picture with some brief notes on it. 

News:  Was asked at Quora dot com WHY the FBI decided to close the Cooper case. THIS WAS my answer. 

Picture sent to Vintage Dancer is shown below. Believe it or not, her website says she and her husband live in Reno, NV. Funny coincidence. B|

TieFromFBIFiles.jpg

UPDATE: Vintage Dancer is familiar with the Cooper tie, she says, although she had not seen a large picture of it before. She classifies it as a 'narrow' tie. This is what she said in an email reply today:

'I would agree with the other researchers. Narrow ties were in style in the early to mid 60s. That is not a tie from 1971. I don't have any JC Penny catalogs from the 60s so I can't locate the exact tie. If i run across any more useful information I will pass it on..'

Note: There ARE JC Penney catalogs available at eBay for 64/68/69/70, but they are expensive. Most are around 75 bucks each. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
'She' not 'he'. Vintage Dancer is a woman.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

That looks like it. it has a alligator clip. the older one's have a flat clip.

By older ones...you mean Cooper probably had the flat clip? Oh, well..crash and burn for me. I had to have it though, just for laughs I guess. 

EDIT: I forgot the Sleuths posted up a picture of the BACK of the clip. Yes, Cooper's was flat. Glad I only paid nine bucks anyway...:|

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
2 hours ago, mrshutter45 said:

look at the side and back. it looks like an alligator. the flat one's do not. Coopers has an alligator clip. 

Okay. Now I don't feel so bad about blowing the nine bucks. 

EDIT: Webs dot com has put up another header message at the main AB of Seattle site saying we are expired. This happens with them about every three years. I had to send them another email to Support. Same as the other times...reminding them we are fully paid up...they always collect their bit automatically through PayPal each month...and they've been collecting that same way each month since about 2006.

I always get an apology and then they take down the notice. B|

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Someone in Cooperland emailed me today with a question. I have to edit my reply because I decided to keep their identity a secret. No worries. The important stuff is included.

Let's get real. I don't mind watching the Eric Ulis videos. I just don't like it that he dumps them at Dropzone and never answers comments or questions about them. Shows a lack of respect. Over sixty videos posted to date. I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel like a ten-dollar trick on Pacific Highway in Seattle. 

'Ha...our messages crossed paths. I'm heading to the Olympics from Friday morning Aug 16 until Sunday morning Aug 18. My plan is to do a comedy video on the first 60 of the Eric Ulis' videos. Cooper meets Saturday Night Live, more or less. 

I have all 60 subjects of the videos and their dates written on individual index cards. The informal script calls for me to hold up white poster boards explaining what the video is about. I toss these aside and move on to the sixty index cards...reading off the subjects one at a time, tossing them aside as well, and giving a five-ten second offhand response to each. It will be funny, but no cheap shots. I will try to keep the video to less than ten minutes total, and that includes the front and back credits. 

I have done comedy before. Most people think I'm serious all the time. Not true. Flipping each card away in a slightly different manner will be cool. Then I respond. Should be good.

Sincerely, Robert'

Too much serious stuff in the Cooper case. WAY too much conflict. Time for a bit of comedy. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

5 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Someone in Cooperland emailed me today with a question. I have to edit my reply because I decided to keep their identity a secret. No worries. The important stuff is included.

Let's get real. I don't mind watching the Eric Ulis videos. I just don't like it that he dumps them at Dropzone and never answers comments or questions about them. Shows a lack of respect. Over sixty videos posted to date. I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel like a ten-dollar trick on Pacific Highway in Seattle. 

Too much serious stuff in the Cooper case. WAY too much conflict. Time for a bit of comedy. 

I actually look forward to seeing the final product. I am always willing to laugh at myself and welcome good-natured ribbing. What I will not respond to are trolls.

Also, I clearly state at the end of each video that people can comment through the DB Cooper Channel Facebook page. Moreover, several others have commented via the DB Cooper Channel YouTube page as well.

Cheers!

30 minutes ago, EJU said:

I actually look forward to seeing the final product. I am always willing to laugh at myself and welcome good-natured ribbing. What I will not respond to are trolls.

Also, I clearly state at the end of each video that people can comment through the DB Cooper Channel Facebook page. Moreover, several others have commented via the DB Cooper Channel YouTube page as well.

Cheers!

You don't respond to facts which contradict your fantasy narrative..

(edited)

''I actually look forward to seeing the final product. I am always willing to laugh at myself and welcome good-natured ribbing. What I will not respond to are trolls.

Also, I clearly state at the end of each video that people can comment through the DB Cooper Channel Facebook page. Moreover, several others have commented via the DB Cooper Channel YouTube page as well...'

I don't really do Facebook much. A post occasionally on our Cooper page, same with my personal page. As far as groups there, unless you have a cat, dog, or political group, traffic can be limited. And YouTube is a useless place for any discussion on the case. Comments can get out of hand pretty quick. I started doing what a lot of people do at YouTube. All comments are screened. They can be negative, but they must be POLITE or I delete them before allowing them to appear. Saves conflict and trouble, which can be prevalent in anything Cooper-related.

I have been guilty of picking on the Walter Reca folks at both Facebook and YouTube, but nothing nasty or insulting. Privately, I call Reca 'Wrong Way Cooper,' because the main problem with that whole story is they have Flight 305 jetting off east toward Spokane and dropping Reca off in Cle Elum. That's clear on the OTHER side of the Cascades...and THEN turning southwest for Portland. I'm willing to discuss any suspects, but that premise is outright ridiculous. I know exactly how far it is, and the route between SeaTac Airport and Cle Elum, very well. Based on that claim alone, I just can't put any faith in Reca as Cooper. 

From the 'I Told Ya So' Dept, this email today:

Hello Robert,

Thank you for contacting Webs Support. 
I gather you are getting the expired message on your website.  I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Sadly, we have identified an issue where some customers are getting this message after they made a payment and we are working to get it fixed in a timely manner. 
I have got the expired message removed from your website manually. You may now access your website without any issue. 
I hope this helps but if you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reply to this email.

Kindest Regards,
Renae

Yeah...about every three years or so this happens. B|

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Bad News for Cooper Fans:  Sluggo's famous website on Cooper is for sale at a whopping $2,095 USD from Huge Domains dot com. 

All material related to that site has been removed. You would only be buying the domain name, which makes it completely useless to anyone. Or at the very least, not really worth dropping twenty-one hundred bucks to buy it. 

An era in Cooperland is OVER....sort of. 

If a site exists long enough on the internet, the Wayback Machine archives snapshots of it. And sometimes even the links and pictures still work. Anyone wanting to use, or shortcut Sluggo's site as a resource should start with this snapshot of the site taken by the IA on December 23, 2008.

That is the first shot taken by IA. There are others, but on the one shown above, the links seemed to work and the photos were still in place. Might be the best all-around shot of the site. 

EDIT:  Eric Ulis DUMPS all sixty-plus of his videos from YouTube? Could this be because he's afraid of our upcoming video being shot on the August trip? He said recently that he didn't mind AB of Seattle staff poking a bit of harmless fun at him. Two days later...every single video he posted to YouTube is just GONE. To be fair to Eric, this could be a tech glitch with YouTube, and if so, we hope he manages to restore it. 

In any case, we can't find them at YouTube anymore. Neither are they at your Facebook page, Eric. Technical glitch or done on purpose? If it was done on purpose...we weren't going to be THAT hard on you in the video. B| No worries, though. We're still doing the video, only if your videos are permanently deleted...all sixty plus of them...this will be noted on the video and why we believe you did that. If it is a tech glitch, we hope you can get it fixed. That is a lot of wasted time and effort if they were deleted by mistake. 

I would be bitching to YouTube if I were you. 

Shutter says in part:

Anyone can look for themselves. NOTHING has been removed..

http://www.thedbcooperforum.com/index.php

SOME stuff HAS been removed. You gave Eric his own channel on your website, more than 4,300 views to the channel...and every Daily Bite video he posted is gone. There are only three possibilities here. YouTube screwed up. Or...YouTube found a Terms of Service violation and deleted Eric's entire channel. Or... Eric deleted the channel and the videos on his own.

If Eric deleted them all on his own, we will certainly make this a major point in the August video. I hope YouTube is the one with the issues. If not, then I am reminded of a line by one of the Russian sailors in the movie Red October:

"Captain scared 'em out of the water!"

EDIT: YouTube says Eric's channel there no longer exists. Greg the Techie Guy actually called me on the phone, verifying this. If we discover that this was done by Eric for no good purpose, and was not a YouTube ban or glitch...frankly we are going to go public on this issue about everywhere we can. And I will tell you why:

Because it isn't fair to Cooper fans who were starting to recognize Eric Ulis as a leader in Cooperland...the guy who tells everyone he 'owns' Cooper Con...the person who ditched a comprehensive plan for a combined November 2019 event that would have packed the house in Portland with Cooper fans. He was encouraged to cooperate with the people who had already called in favors and worked on organizing the biggest Cooper event ever held in the Great Northwest. He was assigned later as the organizer...and then blew everyone who had done the groundwork OFF, deciding he didn't want to share the stage with headliners like the cast of Decoded, or a young Hollywood star who has been in more than a dozen films and is a producer on the first dramatic picture ever done on the Cooper hijacking. He added nothing to that effort and ignored all the work that came before he got the job. 

And frankly...if we find out Eric did all this just to be vindictive, in some attempt to discourage us from the August video (won't work, we're still going on that full speed ahead)...we will come down very hard on him. We will be fair, but we will come down on everything he has done in Cooperland like a load of bricks. 

On the other side of the coin, we are hoping that this was a YouTube based problem, and not an affirmative action by Eric himself. If it WAS, he doesn't deserve to hold conventions with the Cooper logo attached to them. No way. And we will explain why. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I recently placed all of the content on the YouTube DB Cooper Channel on hidden mode. This was necessitated given the DB Cooper project I'm working on and referenced during the July 5th Daily DB Cooper Bite.

33 minutes ago, EJU said:

I recently placed all of the content on the YouTube DB Cooper Channel on hidden mode. This was necessitated given the DB Cooper project I'm working on and referenced during the July 5th Daily DB Cooper Bite.

What DB Cooper project? You are not only full of mystery, but baloney as well. 
Until AB staff see something solid from you, we go on the available evidence. 

Interested? See HERE. We think (until proven otherwise) that you took Cooper fans on a big ride that went nowhere. We're doing the video about it over a certain weekend in August. And inviting others to do the same.

Enough is enough.  

2 hours ago, EJU said:

Eric's Cooper Con and vids were done to promote himself and sell his mostly stolen and extremely speculative Sheridan narrative to a production company..  He isn't interested in facts or truth, he is goal seeking. He used the Cooper community to steal work, gain cred and patch together a bogus narrative to sell. 

Anybody thinking of getting involved should do their homework on Eric and the Cooper case before wasting time and money..

(edited)
2 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Eric's Cooper Con and vids were done to promote himself and sell his mostly stolen and extremely speculative Sheridan narrative to a production company..  He isn't interested in facts or truth, he is goal seeking. He used the Cooper community to steal work, gain cred and patch together a bogus narrative to sell. 

Anybody thinking of getting involved should do their homework on Eric and the Cooper case before wasting time and money..

I must agree, and we will be more than happy to provide the story on how Eric made fools out of the public, as well as Shutter's D.B. Cooper Forum...a guy who was kind enough to provide Eric with his own channel at that site. Eric also single-handedly managed to trash the biggest Cooper event planned for the year. These actions, in the view of myself and anybody else with a reasonable mind...are not acceptable. 

EDIT: Seen this morning at Shutter's forum -

Shutter: Looking up this YouTube channel shows it no longer exists. unless something changes this thread will be removed in the next 24 hours.

Eric: The content for the DB Cooper Channel was hidden by me recently. This was necessitated by the DB Cooper project I'm involved with and referenced in the Daily DB Cooper Bite for July 5th. Given that, I suggest you remove this thread.

In one fell swoop, Eric has managed to go from Cooper Royalty Golden Boy, to someone in Cooperland many people wish they had never met. I wonder how many folks will support his version of a Cooper convention THIS year. I am already charging up the batteries and gathering the gear for the August trip. I know baloney when I see it. I actually feel a bit sorry for Shutter, who trusted Eric the most. And that is saying a LOT. 

On our end of things, AB of Seattle staff (and especially yours truly) cannot figure out WHY Eric even accepted the post of helping host what was to be the biggest DB Cooper gathering in the Pacific Northwest. All he did with that is toss out the baby with the bath water, and ruin everyone's hard work.

Although it will still be shot as a comedy bit, I am modifying the shooting script for our video in August. Stay tuned. B|

If Shutter sees this post, I would suggest he LEAVE UP the empty channel at the Cooper Forum as one of the great examples of absolute baloney by someone involved in investigating the Cooper case. Yes. If it were MY website (it's not, I know) I would leave it all UP for people to see. Or to NOT see, depending on how you look at it. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

6 minutes ago, The Cooper Vortex said:

Have you guys heard my latest episode with Bill Rollins? Its a good one!

https://thecoopervortex.podbean.com/e/db-cooper-had-a-grudge-bill-rollins/

Not yet, but I will. I see you updated your status at Quora. Good. I pinned your podcast to the top of the page. I'm also adding your latest episodes to the flash drive I keep the other episodes on. At the last campout, we literally blasted them out on big speakers during the day. Big hit, everybody who showed for the Oregon trip enjoyed them immensely. 

In 1976 Cossey claimed to get the back chute Cooper left in the plane... Hayden also claimed to get the chute left in the plane,, but it doesn't match the packing card description/SN noted by the FBI.

cosseychutereturned.jpeg

(edited)
2 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

In 1976 Cossey claimed to get the back chute Cooper left in the plane... Hayden also claimed to get the chute left in the plane,, but it doesn't match the packing card description/SN noted by the FBI.

cosseychutereturned.jpeg

I have interviewed Hayden extensively. He had a lawyer send a letter to the FBI asking his chute be returned, which was only a rental to NWA anyway. I believe HAYDEN. The FBI report on the chutes, done shortly after the hijacking by Agent John Detlor, is clear on the matter:

HaydenCosseyFBIExcerpt3.jpg

I was surprised that I didn't hear of THIS HIJACKING that happened before the Cooper caper. This Italian kid went AWOL from the Marines and ended up in Rome. He almost got away with it. He was out of jail in 18 months anyway. Italy LOVED him. 

The best article about him shows what old Rafael is doing today. Sergio Leone should have come through on his promise to make a movie about Rafael. He even has a YouTube channel, which is more than we can say for some...uh, never mind. That will be addressed next month. B|

Edited by RobertMBlevins

2 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

My quote of nothing being removed is not relevant to this action. I have no control over someone removing a channel or video from any location outside of my forum. Eric shutdown his channel himself. 

Well...I know that. So does everyone else. Eric's actions remind of that scene after the road trip in the movie, Animal House.

Flounder's car (well, his brother's car) gets beat to hell on the road trip, and Otter tells him:

"Face it. You f&$k#d up...you trusted us..."  :)

I've had to take my lumps in the Cooper case. Sometimes I deserved it. Maybe sometimes I didn't. But in my wildest dreams I never did to Cooperland what he has managed to do this year...and I'm not talking about just some videos at YouTube. The complete story will come out next month, I guarantee it. 

Where? YouTube. Where else? Eric has jacked more people around than he realizes, and it's time for him to be taken down a notch or two publicly. And the staff of AB are just the folks to do it. 

I still advise you to leave up his channel at the Cooper Forum. It's a good reminder to everyone.