hooked

Has everyone here had a cutaway?

I had 2 in my first 100 jumps (I now have 360).
First was on jump 29 the next was on jump 98. I recognized that I had a problem immediately on both. I tried to fix the problem for a short time and when I realized the problem couldnt be fixed in the time I had to fix it, I made the decision to chop em.
I am glad that I got a cutaway out of the way early because I dont feel like I'll get complacent and start thinking it'll always open. I never expect it to open. On the other hand if you go 1000 jumps never having had a problem, you start always thinking itll open.
JC

I had a cutaway on my 28th (I have about 60 now). Its a long story but to sum up my main got hooked up backwards. I'm glad that I got a cutaway out of the way early, however, in a situation that was not a high speed mal. The canopy was functioning...just backwards. I wasn't about to try and land it though. Now I've had actual practice at it and feel confident that I can handle a high speed malfunction. And as others have stated, I too always throw out prepared to handle a mal...not expecting it to open every time.

On the other hand if you go 1000 jumps never having had a problem, you start always thinking itll open.

I'll let you know in about 50 jumps.
However, as of right now, I still am sort of thinking it's going to mal on just about every jump. At least that's how I treat my packing, gear up, load, takeoff, door opening, exit, deployment and even landing procedures.
-Maybe- that's why a person can go just about 1000 jumps without a mal.
quade
http://futurecam.com

I've had 4 chops. I took me 3 to feel confident about what I was doing. I really believe DZ's should have reserve canopies
set up to test jump. They rarely handle like your main does.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Had a cut away on jump number 38 which was most likely due to my own packing error. I had pulled high intentionally because I was at a new dz and when it opened I knew I had a problem, then did controlability check and chopped because I had an rsl and was going into a spin fast. I wasn't scared at all, mainly embarrassed because I had questioned that pack job to begin with. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of the rsl because not having it would have given me a bit more time to work with my main.

808 jumps (including 6 CRW jumps, 114 tandems as the instructor and about 10 tandems in the student slot), Zero cutaways to date (rapping knuckles against desk).

On the other hand if you go 1000 jumps never having had a problem, you start always thinking itll open.

I always expect it to mal and I do a practice pull on the main p/c, the cutaway handle and the reserve handle at least twice before every skydive. Muscle memory...
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

17 reserve rides total.
15 were cutaways.
The first time - jump number 45 - the Capewells were rusted shut, so I hand-deployed the chest-mounted reserve.
The last terminal reserve opening was the result of a hard pull on a tandem. Saw stars for a minute after opening!
Most of my cutaways were from damaged Strong 425 and 520 mains. You could have driven a bus through some of those holes!
I have landed more damaged 425 mains than I care to remember.
Neither the Canadian Army nor the West German Army were too happy about the holy round mains that I landed.

I've had 3 so far. That's out of nearly 1800 jumps. 1 was a line over on my 36th jump, my buddy packed it. The next was a tandem with tension knots in the outside A lines. Again I didn't pack it. Then a spinning mal with line twist, not my pack job again. But the reserve pack job was mine, I was my "first" reserve save. It's no big deal to deal with a mal, you'll surprise yourself how fast you'll deal with it. The time you think about it comes after you land. Remember to look where your main goes you'll be looking for it sooner or later.
jumpervali My Site

Yep, jump #26. I kind of noticed it, because I was involved in a wrap! :P As long as you practice your emergency procedures, I think you will be fine. I touch my handles, and go over the procedure everytime I sit in the plane.
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

How would not having an RSL have helped. How would it have given you more time to work with on the main.

Just a guess, but the concern was probably an unstable reserve deployment from being thrown laterally from a highly spinning main. Not having a RSL meant that would've been less a concern because you could focus on getting more stable before deploying.
Dunno why you couldn't just disconnect the RSL before messing with the main though.

None to date...133 jumps. I had to grab my handles once when I had severe twists (Still falling barely less than terminal) on opening. (Packing error) It slammed open when I put my head down to look at the cut away pad. It's hard for me to imagine having one on this PD 190. The damn thing is as reliable as you can get....
"I only have 133 jumps, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

Because when your spinning around and the world turns blurry... things are'nt always where you think they would be. The French Link could have been tossed around and was unalbe to be reached. Also in a highly spinning mal, its hard to move your arms above your head.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

The concern about the rsl was due to an unstable reserve deployment and I did not feel I had time to look for my rsl while in a spinning malfunction that was rapidly getting worse. And although I'm certain I still would have had to cut away, having a few extra seconds to deal with my main would have been nice.

# 17 the second freefall my fault unstable pull so the spring loaded pilot go down and back up between my legs, at that point I knew I had a problem.
got my legs back down but my sweet student gear manta was not well , the right side was (7 to 9 or so) was inside out so I try slowly to pump the toggels didn't help one look at the altimeter and right left and two second later a beutifull round reserve .
nedless to say I've learnd my leason abut the importent of Stabel opening
Amir
AM67

3 prior to jump number 100. Now at about 100 base jumps and 600 skydives.
1) horseshoe on exit. very nasty but cool video. threw pilot chute shook arm and chopped. (main was still in bag and hit a moving car causing 1600 in damages--how's that for accuracy :)
2) spinning due to something wrong with the stowing of the brakes (i didn't do it). Never figured out why exactly.
3) Total due to pilot chute monkey fisting. Went right to reserve at about 1300 ft never cutting away because I knew it was in.
Lesson 1: Always pack yourself
Lesson 2: Learn to do it right :)