hooked

Has everyone here had a cutaway?

Out of almost 1400 jumps-no cutaways yet. I almost always do my own packing and am a little anal about it.
The closest was when I screwed up, went too low and my cypres fired just as I was deploying:o. It had to be almost exactly at the same time because the main slowed me to the point where the reserve PC didn't have enough drag to fully extract the free bag and so I was flying under my main with the reserve PC trailing behind me. Would have then cut away but I was worried that as I was now very low, during the transition between main and reserve, I might impact the ground-so I went as slow as possible by immediately going into brakes, made very wide turns and rode the mess in. Right before landing, when I flared, the increased horizontal speed finally pulled the free bag out and I actually landed under two canopies. Talk about "pucker factor.":$

.......:)almost 2,700 jumps total ,,, 4 reserve rides ( all on 26' rounds. all stand ups) 1 total, 1 horseshoe,,,
One cutaway on shot and a halves,,,my first,, chest mount reserve,, mini system container French Papillon Main...jump # 575....RW meet....
About 5 years later I opened at an accuracy meet to a knotted right side,,,[:/]... slow turn, (old para plane cloud) First and only cutaway on a 3 ring release...,,, jump # 1,151,,,,,,,August of 1980...
I've done 1,540 jumps since....I nearly always pack for myself.
I also always "pre-pro" pack,,,, (flat pack ) ..;)
jaytee... " If God wanted us to pro pack ,, then why did HE have P D put packing tabs on its Spectres????" :SB|:)

Has everyone experienced having to do a cutaway, and did you realize immediately that you had to?

Up to yesterday, I only had one cutaway, a dual square (due to fxc fire) on student canopies. They behaved for a while, but decided to downplane at 1000 ft. So see ya.

As of yesterday, I can add a spinning mal to this fortunately small list. And yeah, I realised fast that I had to cutaway alright :S; I was thrown about horizontally by my canopy, with my head pinned to my chest by my risers. So, see ya...........

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Cool, I posted to this thread with 92 jumps and no cutaways, that was just over a year ago. Now I have 235 jumps one cutaway and one very close call.

The close call was a h-n-p out of a C-182. Jump, dump, then I felt the snatch force but no canopy. Looked up at a bag lock over my head, and the D-bag was spinning. I went for my handles, then looked at my alti and saw I was at 2500. Shook the shit out of the risers and eventually got canopy, with line twists from hell.

First actual chop was #208. Break off from a 3-way, dump and had tension knots on the left hand side. Tried to shake them out, started turning right so decided to get rid of it. In retrospect, if I'd untowed the brakes that might've fixed it, but that thought didn't even cross my mind at the time.
I got nuthin

This would be a good time to tell you what you should have done. If you weren't going to cut-away, you should have retrieved that reserve pilot chute. Personally, I would have tried to speed up to get the thing out and then would have done a transfer. On the other hand, if I were above 500, I would have chopped that sucker and here is why.

On jump number 76 I was still flying student gear. I was under a Pisa Skymaster 200 loaded at 1:1. I cranked out a hard spiral at about 850 feet. As I was planing out from my spiral I felt something like turbulence and then something pulling on me. I looked back to see the reserve slowly snivelling behind me. In the time I took to glance at the reserve it opened and my main instanly went straight down in front of me. I was in a down plane in less than 3 seconds. My student cypres had fired under a good canopy. Screaming at the ground with increasing speed I knew I had to chop the main. I did at about 650 feet. I had enough time to make a 270 degree turn just in time to set up for final.

If you have a reserve pilot chute in the wind, I would suggest either getting the reserve bridle in your hand if possible or speeding up ASAP to get that thing in the air and chopping the main as fast as you can. If I had fired that cypres at about 300 feet, I might not have had time to recover from it. Anything lower than 300 feet and I would probably be dead or close to it.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT;)

B|

Live today as tomorrow may not come

That's mostly what I tried to do. My first thought was to reach behind me and grab the bridle. Whether it was because of my lack of flexibility or because I was wearing too many clothes (this was in the dead of winter) I couldn't do it. I thought of using an old crw move and quickly spinning in my risers but was afraid the sudden movement might fully deploy the reserve in front of the main causing them to fly together. I then thought of doing a transfer but was worried about entanglements. I could've cut away first but I was starting to get very low. Did I react perfectly?-not sure, it was a hectic couple of minutes and a long time ago.:)

Had my first cutaway this past Saturday. Jumped camerasuit for first time, put myself into line-twists on opening (I was doing a solo and wasn't wearing camera - just wanted to play with the suit and do some turns, fast fall, slow fall and practice touches). When I went in to pull for real I had line-twists (left wing caught air). Tried kicking them out but canopy was diving and spiralling. Had hand on each handle, but had hard cutaway so had to use both hands to chop (own fault, didn't peel properly if at all). Initiated EPs at '1 800. This was a solo so I had to follow my own shit down. Jump nr. 363.

Will

Just some advice for spinning line twists. Hopefully you wont ever have them again, but chances are you will. If altitude allows for this, look up to see which riser set is higher. Either left or right. Then bounce on the leg strap of the high side to get it down even with the other side and your canopy will stop spinning. This makes it a lot easier to kick out too.

I learned this while flying a viper 120 one time. I had a wicked line twist (4) that was diving like a bat out of hell. I tried to chop it, but I didn't have hard housings in my risers and my cutaway cords were bound up so I couldn't chop it. I look up at my canopy everytime on opening so luckily my head wasn't pinned down by the risers. I evened out my harness and risers and after having me horizontal with the canopy, it came out of the spin like a champ. I then proceeded to clear my line twists and didn't have to chop anything after all. If I had a hook knife, I would have been cutting risers. Instead I used my head, stayed alive and learned something. I have since used this technique 2 other times and one friend of mine has used it as well. Keep in mind that altitude is key here. I would suggest to cut-away if below 2,000. I always pull @ 3,500 though. I like not having any reserve rides to my credit.;)

Just a thought and a shared experience.

B|

2 cutaway. First in 1983 with a 5 cell Strato Star, 1 1/2 shot release, chest mounted T10 reserve without PC. Had a broken line and started turning slowly and the faster and faster, stuffed around for too long and activated EP at below 1000 ft. took time due to the type of equipment and then (being on the back) having problems getting the reserve to deploy (had to hand feed). In deployed reserve for 3 secs and got smashed. Bad injury to legs and out of sport for 6 years.
Second one in 1991, PC in tow. Did procedure in no time and no problems. First experience taught me a) not to waste time and if in doubt do your EP and stick to it and 2) practice EP all the time - again and again.
:)

---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

nah, not yet........I did get a new canopy though and I am planning on getting a new container soon as well and it will have them, rest assured. I do take my cut-away handle out frequently and wipe it down with a silicone cloth to clean and lube it up. I usually do this after each month of jumping to get the sand out of the cable housings both on the rig and risers though. I just put a rubber band with a small dowel around my three rings so I don't have to completely disconnect my canopy from the container. This way I don't have to have someone help me do a line check each weekend. The three rings are never realeased, just the cable is pulled out and wiped down and then re-inserted. It doesn't hurt to have a rigger look at it though after it is done or you could have your rigger just do it for you if you want. It does make a huge difference in pull force.

By the way, never until now, have I ever wanted to kiss Homer:ph34r: LOL

B|

Jump #36 was my first cut-a-way. Had line twists and was above decision altitude so I tried to get the twists out. Started getting spun, hit decision altitude, cut it away and went for silver.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

3 reserve rides in 500 jumps on lopo 26. second one was a cutaway from CRW at jump #109. cutaway at
1650' and line strech at 1250'...planing on landing
bi-plane. It was my second CRW jump.
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Hi Jay
I'll bet you had a silly grin on your face for 3 days after that jump!

I had a cutaway on jump #3. It was AFF level 3, the hover in place dive. Cuting away was probably the most insane rush ever. I just yelled obscene things under canopy as I drifted off into a muddy field. Oh ya, and my radio broke, thats why I landed off. Definately an interesting third jump.

-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

1 cut away on the anniversary of my 10th year in this sport. Slow mal, old (1986) canopy:$. Shame on me, not the canopy.
I learn everyday.
-Grant
p.s.
Here's a great quote:
"Problems up there can be corrected
on the ground" -Dave DeWolf