Kirils

Have you ever gotten ripped off buying used gear online?

I personally have been burned severely doing online
used gear purchases. Sadly, if it's outside your state there is little recourse (unless the US mail is involved). Recently, I have known a couple other jumpers who have gotten ripped off. One guy paid top dollar for a canopy sold on E-Bay. It was damaged so badly it wasn't airworthy. Even after getting an attourney involved, he never saw any restitution. Do you have a horror story you want to share?

What's your experience?
What action did you take?
What were the results?

I've only had good interactions in everything I've done online. I think some of it is how you do the transaction. I usually ask to see at least 5 pictures and usually of specific things. On canopies I like to see the warning label, the area around the bridel attachment point, the lines, the canopy in flight and one showing the canoy label. Thats a good indication of a canopy from a glance. Rigs are easy to examine with only a few pics too. Other things like a Alti or something that is electronic is a bit harder to show its in good condition, but asking the right questions takes care of a lot of that.

One more thing... I think that karma is a big player in this. Try to scam people into giving you the bargin of the century and odds are your going to get burned, trying to sell gear without answering any questions means you might never see payment due to your karma.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I bought my first canopy from a guy down in the states (I am from Canada), and he shipped it up to me to check out before he had seen a nickle from me! It checked out fine and I sent him a U.S. money order right away... nice when people trust each other and it works out... Thanks Randy, it makes you think the human race has a chance.. btw, I still have never met Randy face to face, but if I ever do, I'll buy him a beer!

I bought both a Cypres and a main online from people I'd never met and it worked out fine. On the Cypres, I called a local DZ to make sure the guy was legit (he was in TX). On the main, I had the guy send it to a well-known rigger in MA for inspection and had the rigger act as the middleman - i.e. he told me it was OK to pay, I paid, the seller told him it was OK to give me the canopy.

It's not too hard to keep everything simple and at the same time avoid getting screwed. If you're dealing with someone who doesn't want to do things that way, with some kind of safeguard, then that should tell you something.

Joe

I bought a complete rig on line and have since bought a few canopies...no problems at all!!! All great equipment. It is important to ask the right questions and sometimes, buy through an intermediary who can hold the money and check the gear out for both parties. It quite nice, but buy beware!!! (so they say)

I had the excellent experience of getting my main on-line, with only one phone call between the seller and myself. I got a great canopy, a great price, and he sent it to my rigger before I sent him anything. His only qualification was that he knew who the rigger was - and fortunately for me, he did. Sent it to Vinnie, and I got it. I wasn't able to send him the check right away (it took two weeks faster than I had anticipated), but he was patient about it, bless his heart.

I will say that gear-pimp fees are owed to Phreezone for setting this up!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I have had nothing but great experience buying online. I have only bought two canopies online through this site. Both canopies were in better shape than I could have imagined and on the last canopy a Crossfire 2 130 with 70 jumps I bought for $1200 the guy even threw in a set of Mirage stainless steel risers. I am still leery of buying online and on the last canopy I had the manager of my home DZ act as a broker on the deal.
The canopy was sent to the manager to check it out then I gave the manager a Cashiers check for the canopy before I received the canopy.
Blue Skies
Kirk

I've had good luck too. In each case, there was faith on each side, and it was rewarded. I didn't even use an intermediary. But then I'm always willing to be pleasantly surprised, and I didn't risk money I needed to eat.

I bought a complete rig via dz.com, and a pro-dytter via ebay.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I bought my first main (used) through square1 so i felt pretty comfortable doing it. They sent it cod and i got it in like 5 days. I would consider buying through them again but i am leary of buying through individuals, you just never know.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I'm sorry to hear of your bad on-line experiences, bummer! Because I can empathise! My on-line purchases include (best I can recall) two containers, a main, a dytter and I'm sure a couple odds-n-ends.

The potential of being burned has loomed ominously in my mind in many on-line deals. Personally, this added anxiety has proven to be counter-productive on one occasion when I initially felt I had been intentionally decieved about the gear I bought from this guy! UGH! was I pissed!!

I can say from my heart that this guy might just be a little bit of a goof. I don't know. But anyway, I trusted him, and for the most part, I still do. The whole thing turned out to be more of a major inconvenience than anything! However, If I truly believed that I had been deceived... well, let me just say, I'm glad that wasn't the case...

I have been fortunate, I guess, cause despite that one experience, (and I hesitate to use the word luck) I have been mindful to cover my ass.

I would offer this advice;... for the big stuff, go through an intermediary, rigger, skycat, whatever. For everthing else, don't spend what you can't afford to loose.

$.02
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

I've bought a complete rig used through another skydiving classifieds website (hey! It's where I found the one I wanted.) It came from Canada (to me in the US.) I used a non-jumping friend who lives near the seller to act as escrow. It turned out wonderfully. The equipment was everything claimed and the price was good.

I bought two dytters from a dropzone.com ad from Australia. Worked great.

I bought two Cypreses from a strange young man on Ebay. A bit hyperactive and I think he's got a bad reputation, but they were both brand new, exactly what he claimed, for the best price I've ever seen.

Summary: every used item/classifieds purchase has been excellent.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I've bought tons of used gear on-line. Three full rigs (one from Skycat gear shop, two from riggers), two skydiving canopies, too much BASE gear to count (including at least six canopies--although I've known most of the BASE people I've bought it from).
No problems, ever. I know that there are crooked jumpers out there, but they seem a whole lot rarer than the crooks in the rest of life.
I've also sold gear on-line, with no problems. I've regularly shipped small things to people based on their word that they had sent a check. I've never been disappointed.
It sucks to hear that you've had bad experiences. I hate so say this, but you really ought to name names, and let everyone know, so that other people will avoid the crooks.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Purchased first complete rig off of dropzone.com clasifieds. Got a great deal on the exact rig I wanted in perfect condition. The deal was almost to good to be true. The seller was kind enough to send the rig directly to me without recieving a penny, that is of course after we talked a few times on the phone and I guess I conveyed sincear intentions of payment etc.

.:skip

My experience is similar. Dropzone.com has provided me with great purchases and in doing so I have found new friends. E-bay has been a nightmare
of fraud and deceit!
Lately the auctions on this site have not seen much participation. I encourage jumpers to use dropzone's auction before E-bay. Let's take care and protect our own. .

I sold a canopy to a DZ.commer and had No problems what so ever....we talked on the phone..I sent it COD ....everything was trackable (is that even a word) he got the canopy then a couple days later I got the M.O and all was good!!

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

[:)I bought my rig online froma fellow DZ.commer. No problems. I bought my main separate from my container. Both people were straight up. No worries.:)

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

I bought my dash M 218 on Ebay for 500 bucks from a guy...besides having to send it back in for the repair the thing was perfect...never packed never deployed...even Terry Pyke from aero tech products was impressed when he saw how good of shape it was in for the price...as everyone said before..it's all about communication...I found out who the guy was called the DZ's he said he jumps at to check him out...it all worked out great...

marc

I have bought almost ALL of my gear for the last 8 years online. 5 or 6 canopies...one container...3 reserves. A helmet (but that was from Lisa, so it really doesn't count if it's from a gear store....) I have always been pleased.

Peas~
Lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Because there are so many rigs "out there" that people are trying to sell, I find those who are willing to send it to my dropzone for inspection before any money is exchanged. The seller pays to ship it here, and if I decide to return it, I pay the shipping to send it back.

It's all about trust.

Sending the rig to a dropzone helps take the "mistrust" (well, some of it) out of sending their rig. I give them the name and phone number of the DZO so the seller can make a decision about sending it. The DZO agrees to keep the rig in their possession while the buyer looks it over, jumps it, etc. Hopefully the risk of sending gear is mitigated by the DZO's desire to maintain their good name and the integrity of their dropzone within the skydiving community.

I have found this to be the best (and cheapest) way to have your own rigger inspect the rig while giving the seller a feeling of security that their equipment is being treated carefully and with respect.

I've had four rigs sent (from different states) to two different dropzone and three of them have been purchased.

Use an online escrow service.For a $3000.00 transaction the fee is 90 bucks.It removes any chance of getting ripped.Or pay your money and take your chances.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.