Kirils

Have you ever gotten ripped off buying used gear online?

Use an online escrow service.For a $3000.00 transaction the fee is 90 bucks.It removes any chance of getting ripped.Or pay your money and take your chances.

with this sport, most DZOs will act as a free intermediary. I have bought and sold several canopies by using the dz as an intermediary. every time it worked perfectly. the first canopy I tried to buy was waaay overpriced after my rigger looked it over, so I just shipped it back.

Yeah, there are always idiots out there, but as long as you arent a bigger idiot, everything should work out ok.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Well, personally I would love the luxury of having a gear store to browse throug...ah the many hours of quality drooling time I could have.....

But alas, it was not to be!

I just bought my beer rig online from a classified ad found here. It was a hassle trying to coordinate everything with the seller but he was a really upstanding guy who just wanted me to truly know what I was getting so I would be happy with it.

He even went so far as to give me transition advice!

I put a downpayment down. He shipped it to an intermediary and as soon as my rigger gave it a thumbs up I paid the rest via money order.

It was great. I think lots of communication on both sides helped a lot. You really do want to try to make sure you know what you're getting so you don't have to worry about the hassle of a return.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

I have bought and sold items online and never had a problem. The advice of using a middle man is a very good bit of informaion. Also question everything. The more you know about the person and about the gear the better chance you have of not getting screwed. It is alot harder to cheat someone you have actually spoken with...IMO.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

ive never bought any skydiving stuff online yet. i buy and sell muscle car parts online a lot and have never really been burned yet though. when it comes time for me to buy some gear online i will only buy from someone who i can drive to them and WATCH THEM jump it. THEN id buy it. if i go to buy it and offer to pay for his jump and he turns me down, i sure as hell wouldnt throw my money at him and myself out of a plane with it!

dougB|

hey, i was stupid before stupid was cool!

Just have your rigger inspect it. I would'nt jump the canopy I've sold just since I don't feel like resetting everything up to jump that one canopy for one jump. Your rigger is trained on what to look for and how to make sure it is airworthy... trust him/her.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com