SpeedDog

Who would choose skydiving as a career?

Hi everyone, just wondering who would, or who has taken up full time employment in this sport, ie. such as riggers, instructors even DZ owners. Would you say there's a bigger demand for this sport these days, or is it starting to die down...

Cheers for your thoughts B|

Who would choose skydiving as a career? Someone who is a bit "touched"....;)

I've supported myself through packing, teaching and for the past 7 years now in gear sales. Ain't ever gonna get rich at it but there's more to life than a big paycheck. I think I'm pretty lucky; my job requires that I talk to skydivers about skydiving equipment. B|

I would, and very well may, make it at least a part-time career.

This coming year will be getting my coach rating, the year after that AFF, then maybe on to Tandem. By then I'll be fully vested in my 401(k) and profit-sharing accounts where I work now, and I'll be able to pull up stakes without losing anything, move to a warm climate, and enjoy the good life, living in a trailer on the DZ.

Easy Does It

I had an oppurtunity to work for a major gear manufacturer as a sales rep traveling around to different boogies. At first I was all pumped about the oppurtunity, but after really taking a few days to think about it and talking with friends, I graciously declined.

I'm truly passionate about this sport and everything that comes with it. Personally, I thought that working in the industry might take away some of that appeal for me - as I have seen it happen to several people I know and heard of countless others.

Going to the DZ and going to boogies and comps is kind of my escape from the "real world", so I think I'm happy for now just coaching and shooting tdm videos to help supplement my jumping...who knows, this could all change though.

Now if I could find a way to fun jump everyday all day...that would be a different story!

It definitely chooses you! It isn't for everyone. I like the freedom, the casualness, the flexibility. I've worked as a packer, a rigger and manifest office manager and also do massage therapy. I went back to corporate for a short time a few years back but I like to work in skydiving. I'll take the lower pay, no benefits over my old 401K plans any day.

Mom and dad can't understand that, though...

Skydiving itself has risen in popularity although you'll find that most dz's have had a decline in business. Weather in the northern states did a lot of damage this year to dz income and there are quite a few new dz's out there as well splitting up the pie. But take a look at advertising and movie stunts lately - skydiving is becoming a little more mainstream.

I'm truly passionate about this sport and everything that comes with it. Personally, I thought that working in the industry might take away some of that appeal for me - as I have seen it happen to several people I know and heard of countless others.

That is what I have heard from several people, so for right now, I will definitely be keeping skydiving in the hobby category, but later...dunno...we'll see...;) I might want to pull up stakes too and find me a DZ to call my habitat...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

I've only jumped twice and I know this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Now if I can only find the money to feed myself, pay for my training, and by a rig! My JM told me he robbed a convenience store to get his first rig. Every day which passes without jumping out of a plane, that 7-11 looks sweeter and sweeter...

Never go to a DZ strip show.

my best friend and I jump and are also in the Army ROTC program at our college. We are getting paid by the army to go through school so all of our education stuff has to be double checked by them (majors, minors, courses taken, grades ect). Well this semester my best friend decided to change majors out of a tough civili engeneering major to my major of aerospace studies which is really easy.

our COL told him not to do it because after the army, his engeneering degree will give him a better chance for a job. He looked him straight in the eye...and said..."Sir, I dont need a degree after the army, I am going to be a skydive instructor" haha...good times!

"Airborne all the way"
EL Cantador Rodriguez

Redline said it best, "Who would choose this?!"B|

As for me...I'm an instructor, and while I love my students, and I love teaching, I think the only way you could get me to do it full time is if I worked for a gear store or a manufacturer.

I've come to really appreciate fun jumping vs work jumps.

Then again, I doubt I'd do it full time as I really like my 'real-world' salary. Money isn't everything...but it's nice to have at times.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Who would choose skydiving as a career? Someone who is a bit "touched"....;)

I've supported myself through packing, teaching and for the past 7 years now in gear sales. Ain't ever gonna get rich at it but there's more to life than a big paycheck.

Thinkig about making a living in skydiving is sorta like thinking about the old vegas rule of thumb:

"How do you get a small fortune in Vegas??

Start with t a large Fortune ;) "

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I have done it now for the last year and a bit. You certainly will not get rich from it but I look at it this way.........Work your ass off for the next 40 years in a job that gives you the shits and be poor for 10-20 years before you die or live life to the full and go to work and love it for 40 years and still be poor for 10 years that you can't jump. Thats IF you are really bad at saving and or finances!! I lost unhappiness and inprisonment when as a tradesman I told my boss he could get stuffed!!! You do have to be in the right place at the right time though and here in Australia there are only a handfull of places where you can work as a fulltime jumper and pay the bills. Never thought it would happen to me but then I have been told from more than one source NEVER SAY NEVER!! BSBD -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Yeah, I am with you on this one ... :D

I know how I got here and I'm not goin home yet. I have been in this industry for 8 years and it hasn't always been easy ... but after packing everything in sight, manifesting/office managing, video/dubbing, AFF and now trying for senior rigger, my overall opinion is if you have respect for the sport and enjoy working with the team of individuals at your DZ and vice versa, there is no job out there more fun.

Skydiving will likely be my side job a year or two down the line when I finish school and get a real job, but I always saw it as the perfect job if you are in school because it is something you can do strictly on the weekends, get enjoyment out of your hobby and teaching it to others and earning decent $$$ for a student for sure.

It is also a great career for someone who is single and likes to travel since some DZs are closed in the winter and few areas in comparison to the whole have a year round skydiving climate. (I won't speak for some Missouians I know who jump in negative double digit temps :o:oB|)

I personally would not make skydiving my only career though as an instructor. Besides the weather being an issue in most places, there are too many things that can change rather quickly. Like if you got injured. It's not like you are an NFL player who if you get injured you will still get paid big $$$ and it is possible you may not even have health insurance through your DZ.

In my opinion, the way to go is to have a "real" job with a somewhat flexible schedule and then an instructor/skydiving job on the side.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

I am a full-time, professional skydiver/instructor. I don't make a lot of money doing it, but then again I don't have to; I served 21 years in the army and I have a pension. I am still young enough that my body can take full-time (when I feel like it) meat hauling and AFF, but old and wise enough to know that without some supplemental income, 99.9 percent of full-time skydivers lead a meager existence. Does this mean that they are unhappy? Some people absolutely love the simple, gypsy-like existence, but others tire of it fairly quickly and eventually skulk off into the distance.

Chuck

Well this semester my best friend decided to change majors out of a tough civili engeneering major to my major of aerospace studies which is really easy.

And people wonder why American companies are "out-sourcing" these days. If you think Civil Engineering is tough, try making a decent living in the deregulated transportation industry. Good luck to you.

Dude I would LOVE TO, and perhaps in the not so distant future I will, but as for right now, I don't have the ratings, I don't have the experience, and I have much in the whuffo job world going for me right now. I'm gonna use this job I have now to get all the ratings I can stand, then just jump into it and do the best I can. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

***no he didnt laugh at all...he told my friend to think about it over the weekend and see if he still wanted to change....ofcourse he did so eventually he let him change majors, funny stuff though!***

So, basically he's not going to give himself an out? I wonder because I assume you guys are about 19 or 20 and he's doing something that will limit what he will be able to do in his future. If he finds a female and decides to have a family instead of being a skydive instructor then he's going to look back and say, "Geez, I wish I had put myself in a better position to support my family." It definitely doesn't hurt to get a higher level of education. If anything, he's showing your command that he doesn't have the ability to weigh all options.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher