Michele

Malfunction Cutaway...packed your own?

I know it's not terribly scientific, but I'm curious as to what the numbers show. Elaborate if you want.

This is not about blame...not about that at all. I'm just looking for an overall numbers view...

I know that cutaways can happen because of many things, like body position, etc., but for this poll, I guess I am just looking for gross numbers and nothing precise.

I'll go first...

Cutaway. I did not pack the canopy.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I recently had a break fire on me during my opening and it cause my Crossfire2 to spin up to the point where I thought I could not recover from it. So I went to plan "B". I was the one who packed the main and I likely rushed the job to the point where I didn't check to ensure that the break lines were taunt. So the finger clearly is pointed at yours truly. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

You missed mine. I've had several and I packed them all.B| Of course all mine were before "packers" were available. But Michele, remember that a perfectly packed parachute can and do malfunction. It may or may not have ANYTHING to do with the packer or packing. Two of mine were line friction knots, one test jumping a relined canopy that wasn't flying right, and the last a PC in tow that cleared when the reserve was fired. I'll take blame for the last one, in 1987.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Would I need to check the top 4? I've had two tandem cutaways, one that was packed for me and one that I packed. I have not had any sport cutaways (knock on wood) and have used a packer quite frequently and packed for myself.
Miami

I've had two cutaways and packed both of'em myself.

#1) Premature deployment / horseshoe, cause- undetermined, Round reserve.
#2) Spinning on opening, cause- Bad body position most likely, square reserve.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Two cutaways, both spinners, one body position, one I knocked a toggle free (doh). I packed both.

Insert funny story:
I packed my first one during the huge blackout this summer. The great hall (very dark) was a lot cooler because the ac had been on. I had a little light from outside. A packers son asked me what I was doing in there. I said packing cause its cooler. He said "what if you have to cutaway?" I jumped and did.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Terry, I really am not looking to lay blame. I was just sitting there, waiting for a friend, and the thought occurred to me...do people who pack their own have more mals, or do people who use packers have more?

More of a curiousity as to how it breaks down numerically, rather than "why" the mal occurred. I think one of my favorite sayings is something to the effect of "you take a bunch of fabric, lots of line, and throw them into the wind while you're traveling 120 mph. And you wonder why sometimes it doesn't work!!!"

I guess I am just wondering how it falls out, is all. Again, not looking to point the finger nor blame anyone for anything.

Ciels-
Michele

Had one, jumpmaster packed it. Although the open seemed normal 3 lines broke, flew for about 3 seconds then viloent spinning mal. Chopped to my smart reserve. Dont blame the packer. It was a brand new canopy making my first jump on the entire rig.... Real Bummer:(
Blue ones
Jim

I've had a few mals (a line over; brake line come loose on opening and tangled with other lines; a hard opening leading to 6 broken lines; and a reserve pin popped on deploying my main) - all packed myself so only one person to blame! Cant work out why some call be "Temporary Geoff"?:S

But looking at the numbers so far (ignoring the few who have several mals backed by both themselves and packers):

Out of the 37 votes by jumpers who pack for themselves, 17 had mals ...17/37 = 46%

Out of the 15 votes by jumpers who use packers, 7 had mals ...7/15 = 47%

All in all, the numbers don't seem to indicate much difference between packing for yourself or using a packer (unless of course you're a lazy & careless packer like myself...) :)

I've had one cutaway, and I'm proud to say I packed it all by myself.

I got home from work Friday night, and had a couple beers, and a nice buzz going. I had been to the DZ earlier that week, and had "trunk packed" in my haste to get home. So my rig was in the family room. So I went ahead and packed it up. When I went to put the D-bag in the tray, I dropped it, it made a little tumble, and I just picked it up and threw it in and closed it up. No biggie, right? WRONG! First jump of the day on a beautiful Saturday, I dumped and looked up to see one line group wrapped around the other three. My first thought was "How the hell did I pack that crap?" Second thought was "Well, can't fly it, time to go to Plan B". (Note these thoughts passed through my brain in about 1/100th of a second-) I was under a nice yellow PD160R by 2000'. Plenty of room to set up a nice stand-up landing in the regualr landing area. I like the way my reserve handles, too! Nice flare!

Main came down near the main landing area, freebag/pilot chute landed between the runway and taxiway.

Lesson learned - Never pack while drunk. (Or even nicely buzzed.)

(edited for grammar and spelling-)

All in all, the numbers don't seem to indicate much difference between packing for yourself or using a packer

I had noticed that last night, too.

I wonder what the numbers will show if 100 people respond...or 200. I'd suspect not much change, based on the original numbers, but one never knows.

Ciels-
Michele

Packed my own malfunction (bag lock) and had my first save as a rigger. Fortunately I was right over the main landing area at the Boogie and I got everything back.:)
One line from a stow hitched and locked around the next stow. Perhaps I made the stow a bit too long but it's hard to say if it was me or 'random doo-da chance.'

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I've had five malfunctions and didn't pack any of them. Most times I don't use a packer.

1. I couldn't find the RC handle with a front mount PC.

2. First jump under a PC that was a piggy-back system. The guy I was borrowing it from, had packed it.

3. First jump under a square, again, the guy I was borrowing it from had packed it.

4. Borrowed my at the time, husband's rig, that he packed.

5. Got my rig back from it's I/R from the rigger, jumped and had a cut-away. Needless to say, I didn't t own him a bottle. We called it even.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have had I cutaway!

It was jump number 35 and I was jumping at a place in the city that we don't usually jump (paraski), from an unfamiliar aircraft (Bell 206B Helo) and had a line over.

I didn't have my own gear at the time so I was borrowing student gear.

My ex girlfriend had packed it for me.

Adrian

P.S. I don't blame her for any of it .
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

yup. guilty.

one malfunction packed by yours truely. i was totally distracted (no excuses, just the truth) trying to welcome some new freeflyers to the dz. during the conversation i managed to pack myself a lineover on a triathalon - a very difficult thing to do, thank you very much. i take full responsibility.

i have to say, since my mal, i've been a bit put off on packing for myself. i'm easing back into it, but i definately lost some confidence in my own ability. [:/]

it's all good. :P