lazyfrog

ever jumped a round ??

what if I offered you a 62 Cadillac convertable? Would you turn that down?

No, driving an old car is not likely to hurt you unless you hit something, and old cars can be a lot of fun without much risk of it hurting you. What characteristic of a round canopy will be so great except for the nostalgia itself.

I watched someone make their first round jump this summer (not a heavy guy either) and he really slammed in. It just reminded me of how a little nostalgia can hurt a lot. I've had my share of stand-ups under them, and sometimes they decide to oscillate.:(

And I'll say it again, the reserves on most 'nostalgia' rigs are not going to set you down lightly.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Many many rounds, both main and reserves, triangles, squares, and anything else that would get me down.....usually in 1 piece (but not always)If anyone thinks a Para Commander is bad, try a C 9 old Orange and white 28footer. Sometimes a hard landing, but also made many standups on them.

PC is the greatest round, a real slam dunk opening (using a few tricks to make sure when I needed it most)

Bill Cole

You guys dont know what you've missed!!!lol;)

5 jump chumps are almost as bad as Dirty Nasty Legs! ;)
I have close to 100 round jumps and only broke my ankle once! My only reserve ride in skydiving was under a round as well. I do miss the days of pushing 5 jump chumps out the door at night! The best was when I ws stationed with 4/325 at Bragg. We got a brand new guy out of Jump School and just as I said GO the saftey threw a cut static line over his shoulder. It was great to see his eyes bug out as he was pushed out the door!
:D:D:D:D

BTW you haven't lived yet. They don't go out at 800 ft in the dark with 100 pounds of gear in Jump School! You still have gone out lower then most on this site though!
Dom

I was always told to run screaming with regard to any rig that contains a round. I hope that doesn't mean I'm prejudiced. ;)
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

That's a hell of a round canopy to compare it to a '62 Vette. I think comparing to a horse and buggy would be more appropriate. And yes, I have over 65 round jumps, from 28 foot flats to PC's. Best thing they ever did was make the chutes square. Second best was putting the reserve on the back.:P

I had close to 50 T-10 army jumps
Around 300 para-commander jumps
Two 24 ft. round reserve rides
About ten 28 ft. 7-T-U jumps
My first square jump was on a para-plane.

All were from at least 1,200 ft. except the time we lost track of altitude and I openned my para-commander at 500 ft.

I'd love to make an Army (Combat Equipment) Night jump again. Or even jump an old para-commander. It's been about 30 years since the last time I jumped a round, but they aren't as awful as some people make them out to be.....Steve1

Rounds rock man.. I have well over 100 round jumps under my French Pap...a few MC1-1's... a few C-9 with 4 line release.. a few under sport versions with various cuts....5 round reserve rides... jumped a sport version of a T-10 this year.. full surplus rig.. with a chest mount no-pilotchute 24' reserve

The landing sucked.. and from what I understand is on the end of the year highlights... but it was a good nostalgia jump..

Lou Diamond,
Tell us more about your combat jump. I alway's wondered what that would be like. I talked to a British Para-trooper at Perris a couple years ago. He said they routinely jump at 800 ft. in training now, since they have a new design para-chute that opens more quickly than the old t-1O's.....Steve1

15 Jumps on a T-10 w/T10-R belly reserve. Military low-alti jumps. That's why i have a rocksolid PLF... ;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I did a couple of jumps as a student with a round reserve whilst visiting another DZ. Wasn't really a big deal appart from the fact that I only found out that it was a round reserve after I had jumped. Didn't really say much for their saftey... then I guess you might say I should have known to check the canopies, but then this was about my 4th and 5th jumps or something and the canopies used really should have been covered in thier DZ brief.

Yep I started on aeroconicals for my first dozen or so.
I've chopped and been under round reserves twice, tiny phantoms and I'm not tiny......:o:)B|

Not something I'd by choice these days, but if it was round or ground.......I'd be okay with it.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

:)
.........I have made 1,148 jumps on a round main...
although my Last one was over 20 years ago...[:/]:(....
Started with a t-10 ,,, then made maybe 20 or so on a 28 foot lopo... then a few on a Para Commander,, til I found the French Papillon..B|:D
.. I owned 2 of them and jumped them for about 8 years.....Excellent accuracy canopy,, for those who like accuracy..
( downwind of course)....
I also have 4 reserve rides on rounds,,, 3 on a 26 foot navy conical one on a 26 ft strong lopo... all standups..... I've had a square reserve in my rig now,, for about 18 years,,, haven't had to use it....
I was Sloooow to transition to the squares,,, since I noted that many many of my buddies,, were getting hurt,,,from poor landings, or from malfunctions,, etc.... so I was patient,,, until all the glitches were worked out of the ram air sport parachute....I now have about 1,700 square jumps,, many many on a 7 cell cloud,,, Only ONE !!! on a stratostar ( 5 Cell) ( that was enough)
over a thousand, on the RW Challenger 240,,,, and about 300 now on a PD spectre 210.....
the jumpers of today,,, who all "wanna try a PC",,, are advised to be careful.......[:/]... Your spot better be right on,, your canopy control talents better be good,, and your ability to Hit the ground "solidly" ,,better be tuned.....( can you say PLF,,,, "I knew that you could" )
Not to mention that you'd have to be properly briefed on the harness container system,,,, able to wear ( and able to activate ) a chest mount reserve and if the gear has old style riser releases,,,, ( shot and a halves)
you better practice before you make that jump....
this type of gear WAS well and good ,,, for it's time...but most of it has been retired,,,, for a number of good reasons. ( mostly updates in harness container systems.. improved releases, slider, hand deploy pilot chute etc. and of course the flying wing)
If you are a jumper of today,,,, then jump the gear of today....( especially if that's all you've been trained on )
but for someone who has never jumped "old" stuff..... think real hard before donning that gear...
It's one thing for a long ago jumper who HAS experience with such equipment to revive some of those old memories,,, and a completely other thing
for a jumper who has only known square mains, 3 ring releases, hand deply, reserve on your back , to
"backstep 20 years" and jump a round...
Being something of a "long ago jumper"... I tend to feel that the HONOR of jumping such relic gear,,, sould be left to those who " did it " in the past... not the newbies,,, who would like to "imagine " that they did so....sorry friends,, no malice intended,, but oldtimers day,,,, should be for oldtimers....
Besides....... If you do not completely understand AND remember,,, the concept of "Standing Tension"
or of "Holding Tension",,,, then '''Ya' can't play with a P. C. or a Papillon"!!!!! hahahahah:P:)
If you can't pack it,,, you can't play with it.. hahahaha
peace jmy

I've got close to 300 on a round all financed by the US Gov't. Most at night, with equipment and many of them at 800 feet. However, the only one that counts in my book is the one that was at 500 feet, at night and into combat. ;)

300 military S/L jumps!? You gotta be kidding! You a lifer?

I tend to feel that the HONOR of jumping such relic gear,,, sould be left to those who " did it " in the past... not the newbies,,, who would like to "imagine " that they did so....sorry friends,, no malice intended,, but oldtimers day,,,, should be for oldtimers....

You don't approve? I'm disapointed.

See attached:

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

It's been a long time since I asked someone to lean while I packed. Yes, it usually took two to pack in the old days. You placed the apex of your canopy on a hook and then had someone hold tension by leaning against your harness. You then flaked each panel. Layed it on the ground and started folding things up. That is unless you were one of those daring souls who just flaked and sleeved things up in a hurry. In that case you just flaked it, pulled the sleeve over it, and maybe made a fold or two on the skirt or a fold on the stabilizers of a PC.....either way it usually openned fine.....There was noone to pack for you back then. Reserve repacks were mandated every 60 days. You paid your rigger $5.00 or a case of beer for a repack. Some belly reserves had pilot chutes, some didn't. Does anyone know what a kicker plate is?? This is what your pilot chute rested on in your reserve. Wouldn't it be fun to get in a time machine and go back to that era for a short visit. You'd have to leave your tight fitting jump suit behind because most everyone had super baggy ones complete with bell bottoms and sleeves (In the 70's). And don't forget a heavy duty motorcycle helmet and french jump boots. I wouldn't want to stay long though, because things are a lot more fun now, but think of the flying skills you could teach others. A ten way was big back then. I recall being in a state record star that only had 15 people in it. I remember a World's Record star that only had about 30 people in it. Jerry Bird was the king of RW. If you didn't have long hair, you might be called a Red neck. Hell, even I had hair an inch or two longer back then. And yes, I was considered a red neck brother to those I jumped with. My how things have changed.......Steve1

I've got 40+ under t-10's...sometimes, I think it would have been better to just have rolled myself up in the thing and throw myself out the door...the landing would have been softer, especially the -1000 foot jumps.
Swing, Swing, swing, SLAM

Skydiving isn't scary;...but clowns...CLOWNS are scary!

300 military S/L jumps!? You gotta be kidding! You a lifer?

That's the result of starting out in the Airplane gang, working with test boards and hunting jumps for master wings. About 1/3 of those are into the ocean, rough terrain jumps or into the snow. I prefer jumping the MC-4 even if it's bigger than a tandem rig now a days as opposed to a round.;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING