TribalTalon

how many of yall have intentionally stalled a canopy

I have stalled every canopy I've owned and a few that I haven't:D....But Honestly I believe it is a good thing to find the stall point of your canopies(up high that is) that way you know the limits and performance you have before you get put in an ugly situation and are pushing the limits of the canopy so you can land safely.

you can find the stall point of a canopy without compleatly stalling it....

sorry.. had to say that...

you can find the stall point without completely stalling it thats true......but you can not know the recovery characteristics without a complete stall.... to just bring your canopy to the brink of a stall and then letting up on the brakes will NOT give you the true recovery traits.

Hey Donnie.
I just wanted to add that maybe I will stall my velocity one of these days after all. I told you I had done it on my Sabre a few times, but got my panties in a wad thinking of stalling at a relatively high wingloading. After reading some responses, I think it may be time to play.

And uhh, like I told you before, don't do that crap at 1k, crazy ass.

I do it on EVERY new canopy I jump. I get out high when I first get it and find out all that I can about the canopy before I have to land it.. I do about every kind of control move in that time. turns flat turns spins riser turns and I flare it and then see if I can stall it.. I then flare it again with a wrap if I could not stall it until I can. I stop all of this and just enjoy the rest of the flight once I get it to 3000 ft. It ususally takes me several jumps on a new canopy to try just about everything I can on it. I like to KNOW how the thing is going to treat me under varying flight scenarios.

Sometimes AFTER I get used to the canopy I do it just for fun.. stall it and ride it.. with the Lotus Demo I am jumping it does a funky fly backwards thing that you gotta try...Airlocks are KEWL:)
I cant wait to try my PRE-SECOND Samurai Eliptical that should be arriving one of these days...woo hooB|

Maybe a dozen times or so. Frightened one of my low jump number friends doing it a couple weeks ago doing it where he could see it under canopy.

I can't seem to get the nerve to ride a stall for any real legnth of time though. I git skeered.

I'm finding that my canopy gets easier/ quicker to stall these days now that it has about 300 jumps on it.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Possibly do to shrinking break lines? Or do canopies just stall easier from use? Both?
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I have not and will not stall a tandem canopy completely . . . the drogue bridle is so long that I would rather not take the chance of the drogue dropping over the nose, snagging a b-line, then heading back ove the canopy. To me, the benefit is not worth the risk.

I have stalled several tandem canopies and never experienced this. My old 421 in my vector tandem use to stall like any 9-cell, fall off backwards with the end cells coming forward and touching. The Sigma 370 that I have now is similar, but tends to slide to one side or the other in a stall. The drogue usually bounces off the top of the canopy as it dives forward after the stall.
blue skies,

art

Well, hey, I guess we're always learnin'...
I read this thread and discovered that I guess I haven't truly "stalled" my canopy even though yes, I've held the brakes for a good long time and felt my forward speed dwindle to nothing. I did not hold so long that everything collapsed on me, or did these spins people are talking about. And it's funny, because I've stalled CESSNAS fully, but not my parachute!

I will be asking around now about this, and about the particulars of how my airlocked Lotus will perform in a stall.

Any comments here about this question would be appreciated. :)
Some of this shit sounds scary, from the way people describe it. I can't yet imagine stalling to the point of collapse, and then letting up only one toggle so that I enter a spin. That sounds like things could get messed up. Can they?
-
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

...the Lotus Demo I am jumping it does a funky fly backwards thing that you gotta try...Airlocks are KEWL:)
I cant wait to try my PRE-SECOND Samurai Eliptical that should be arriving one of these days...woo hooB|

Yeah! B| I didn't know that backwards flying thing when I tried stalling my new Sam first time - quite a surprise, isn't it? ;)

And here's my reason to try stalling a new canopy:

busy landing area, I'm hanging in deep brakes and waiting for the others to land...still too many people, the altitude is bleeding slowly and I am applying more and more brakes subconciously. And then bang!- my Contrail collapses :o It recovered so low that had to check if my pants are not wet after landing :P

Never on my Stiletto..I have flown it close to a stall, but on an elliptical canopy its a bad idea to do a full stall. My Ex GF had her first chop when she did a full stall and it spun up on her.

Full stalls are not a good idea to do below your hard deck on ANY canopy.

But the can be loads of fun on other canopies...I used to stall and collapse my canopy all the time when I had a big 7 cell canopy. Guys would start to spiral, and Id just collapse it and fall right by them.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I have taken mine just to the stall point but never seen the thing completely ball up or touch ends cells. (I don't think I have anyway) The idea of it kinda freaks me out. I get to a point where I just start feeling myself backslide and then I let up. Guess I am just chicken.[:/]

You guys are maiking it sound fun though.

I've done it...but not intentionally. :$ I'd never been able to stall a canopy (too lightly loaded), not even just a slight rocking back stall...

until this time when I buried both toggles and felt that slow braked "floaty" feeling. I got into enjoying the peacefulness, the relaxation of it, the scenery...spent probably 20-30 seconds (quite a while!) looking around and enjoying the view/feeling...when all of a sudden it felt like I'd hit huge turbulance! I look up and my canopy looked like a ball of crap (Sil 190). :o My heart did this huge thump and I let up on both toggles quickly (which I would no longer do). Canopy recovered fine...but it scared the crap out of me because I wasn't expecting it. I was a brand new jumper and didn't know the different types of stalls. :$

I flew it so cautiously and conservatively all the way to the ground...had one person tell me that it looked for a second like I'd cut away - and had a JM, when I told him what happened, kind of shrug and say, "you stalled your canopy - now you know what it feels like" with a smile.
:)
Once I'm able to get sky under my feet again *looks at her stupid ankle that's still healing* I would love to do another true stall. B|

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

I'm a little antsy to try it with the Stiletto and it's load to around 1.6

Done it many times on one at 1.8. Every canopy I've owned I've stalled like the dickens. (fyi, Besides cider... I really don't know what the dickens is)

I have a teeny tiny VX that I haven't stalled yet though. Yikes... :P

How is the recovery on the loaded Stiletto? I've done it on a lightly loaded Sabre and Safire (that one didn't behave nice at all), and I have been hesitant to try it with a high WL on my Stilletto.

I'll stall my Lightning to lose altitude fast. One of the coolest things I've ever seen was watching Chris Gay and Rusty Vest do riser stalls. They were under canopy, 10-20 feet apart and FACING each other head on. There was no forward speed and they just did this incredible dance with their canopies going around each other all the while facing one another. BTW, I was specifically advised not to try this maneuver below an altitude I was uncomfortable cutting away from.

Edited to korrekt my speling.

I stalled my Triathalon 190 (1:1) a few times, but I could never get it to completely collapse into a ball. I could get it to deform quite a bit, but that was about all.

My Lotus (1.3:1) stalls easier, but doesn't collapse (airlocks). I fall backwards under it. I've done this about half a dozen times.

I flew my PD143 reserve as a main. Now that sucker stalls! Scary.

I always do this from over 2000 feet (I prefer over 3,000, but that's not always where I am when I start). And I get more aggressive with my canopy experiments as I get to the end of my reserve repack cycle ;) But I'm still pretty much a coward under canopy.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I have not and will not stall a tandem canopy completely . . . the drogue bridle is so long that I would rather not take the chance of the drogue dropping over the nose, snagging a b-line, then heading back ove the canopy. To me, the benefit is not worth the risk.

I have stalled several tandem canopies and never experienced this. My old 421 in my vector tandem use to stall like any 9-cell, fall off backwards with the end cells coming forward and touching. The Sigma 370 that I have now is similar, but tends to slide to one side or the other in a stall. The drogue usually bounces off the top of the canopy as it dives forward after the stall.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Geez!

I have stalled every tandem main I have ever jumped: Pioneer High Lifter, PD 360, PD 421, Galaxy, Strong Master 425, Strong 520, SET-400, EZ-384, Racer rectangular 400 and 500.
None of those stalls resulted in drogue or bridle entanglements.

Happy crucifixion day!

I know some history of this one.

Kevin Ingley (currently on the US team, formerly of the late great Team Infinity) started rear riser stalling his canopy back in early '97 as a fun way to chew up altitude after 8-way speed practice dives. One by one the rest of the team tried it and liked it, so of course we started playing around a bit more.

We called it SCReW (Stalled Canopy Relative Work) and had loads of fun. Somewhere I have a video of 6 of us in a circle ~50' in diameter (IIRC, it was taken from Kevin's POV cam). We did it a few times in Finland during practice for the 8th WPC in CF, but the Finns were less than impressed and made us stop.

When Kevin joined the US team he kept on SCReWing around, but at first no one would join him. Curiousity eventually got 'em, so one by one they started doing it as well. Now they all do it and have even made body contact. There is quite a bit of control available if you know how to use it.

NOTE: Every time I've done this it has been on a low aspect 7-cell ZP Lightning. Jumper beware if you want to try it on a higher aspect 9-cell or something tapered. I wouldn't consider it on an elliptical.

Bob
SCReW #4

ahhhh, actually one time, i did exactly that. i didnt know what had happened, but i guess i must have let the toggles up unevenlly because i was going backwards, doing just fine, then all of a sudden i was doing this wild back spin, then the canopy completely collapsed, took about 500 feet for it to reinflate, then when it did reinflate it spun me around about 3 or 4 more times, (into line twists) which i then kicked out of. it was pretty interesting, haha. :S:D

TJ Landgren can helicopter his Xaos. I'm sure there are others but he's the only one I know personally that is. Maybe one day I'll have the b**** to try it.

Saw some vid of he and Dusty Smith doing this at eloy....completely off the hook...you've got to be good to keep a canopy that small from tying itself into a knot while doing that....:o:o:o

I had a great time stalling a Cobalt 150 the weekend. I was considering buying it so I put it through the paces.

Weird thing is, it wasn't going into a complete stall. It would start to buck a little bit and with a little more toggle pressure it would actually flip into a spin just like a toggle turn Perhaps I was a little uneven on the toggles but it was the strangest thing. Much different from a Falcon or a Monarch stall.

Oh Yeh, I consider it part of the "getting to know you " process with a new canopy and part of the "staying in touch" process with your main canopy. Knowledge is power in this sport...........:S
A mile of highway can take you a mile
But a mile of Runway can take you anywhere!

Blue Sky Traveler

I've stalled a couple of times and always on a new canopy I get to stall point and then recover while still up high. The first time I pushed it byond stall point into a proper stall was the jump after my first chop. The slider came down over my Z1 and I damn near shit myself! I was thinking oh no, if this thing doesn't reinflate thats two in a row! :$
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I stall my canopies often. The most messed up stall was when I was jumping a friends rig that she said had a problem with it. So one of the firs things that i did after openeing was completely stall it!!

Problem 1: The right brake line was shorter than the other. Upon stalling the right side of the canopy collapsed and rolled under.

Problem 2: The left side of the canopy had not fully colapsed.

Problem 3: Now I have line twist because of the split second between one side of the canopy collapsing before the other.

Problem 4: After getting out of my line twist and safely landing, I did not have an extra pair of underwear to change into!!!!
drakeshelby

When my old DZ got new student canopies in, we riggers would pack them up and then go test jump them. Part of our checks was noting how long the canopy took to enter a stall and how long between hitting the beginning phase and the loses its shape phase.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."