ltdiver

You're not a real skydiver unless....

Well, I've got over 1000 jumps, I have ratings, but I guess I have a new goal for my skydiving career. I must land in a tree so I can be a real skydiver.[:/]

Since I'm in Texas I think I'll go all out and find myself a nice big Mesquite tree.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Gee I saw a landing in a tree.. in the desert.. right next to a swoop pond...on Sunday and...well if he can do it.. ANYONE can do it:P

I think they call that the "Sonny Bono Syndrome". :o

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I have two, one main, one reserve, both rounds. On the main, I hit a clearing in the woods maybe 20 feet across, snagged a branch, which broke, so I made it to the ground. Bad spot, high winds. Had maybe 50 jumps. For the reserve, I landed in the pines, stopped with feet maybe 3 feet off the ground. It is surprisingly difficult to get out of your harness without falling, even when it's only 3 feet.

"You're not a real skydiver unless you land in a tree at least once," said Dominik Loyen, who is also an instructor at Skydive New England

Ok this is gonna live to bite him on the ass..

Of course I have landed in a tree. T10 after a SL jump on the Aniversery of the 40th year of the C130.

So that just proves I'm a real skydiver.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Wacky, Skydive Lebenon, now Skydive New England is where I made my first tandem in '96. Lots of tress around, but 8 miles out.... who was spotting? The people there when I jumped all seemed professional...

Lots of tress around, but 8 miles out.... who was spotting? The people there when I jumped all seemed professional...

It's a definitely a very professional and incredibly fun dropzone, but it's a small landing area and the winds do get funky there some times. One of the times that I was jumping there we spotted the same as we had done all day (there was no indication that the winds had changed) and ended up about 5 miles off the dz. I learned to look down every now and then ;)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I was told recently that I wasn't a "real skydiver" by some chick packin that over heard me say something that someone here had as a sigline. I told a guy, "I figured out this whole skydiving thing, its all about looking cool walking to the plane". She gave me a dirty look and told me I wasnt a "real" skydiver. Felt bad when I started laughing:P

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

We had one girl who landed in a tree once... And she hang there over a highway for a while... She was a real skydiver and......

she was naked....
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Following my first CrW wrap, the two mains landed in the only tree in a 1 mile radius.

That's as close as i've gotten.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

We had one girl who landed in a tree once... And she hang there over a highway for a while... She was a real skydiver and......

she was naked....

Something to say about 'blowing in the wind'? :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

"I figured out this whole skydiving thing, its all about looking cool walking to the plane". She gave me a dirty look and told me I wasnt a "real" skydiver. Felt bad when I started laughing[:P

Funny, that tagline comes from a friend of mine who posted it after I told him about that quote. The original source is a well-respected skydiver with 4,000+ jumps. I think he qualifies as a "real" skydiver. ;) Good you laughed at the girl, it’s a freakin’ joke man! Well, it does help to look cool walking to the airplane. :)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

That was a freaky load... the winds had been calm all day, but the uppers REALLY picked up for sunset load. I had been doing hop and pops from 9k all day to get current on my new canopy.

The girl landed ~4 miles off (not 8) and that was my fault because I talked her into joining me [:/] (she was under a very lightly loaded canopy)

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

"You're not a real skydiver unless you land in a tree"

That may have been true when people jumped rounds, but with square canopies, you better have a pretty good excuse for landing in one. Especially if you're an instructor. Just my opinion.

BTW - good excuse would be something like "I jump into a forest with a 500 square foot clearing for a landing area", and not something like "well, we were doing night jumps and everyone was so excited about it that we decided to jump even though the weather got really shitty".
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Hey, great, I'm a real skydiver:

Even Germany is fully of trees, i went to Spain, Empuriabrava, made AFF, made consults: and one of them ended in a tree! bang!

under the tree was a creek: so did a dive. that was wet.

but if it's needed to be a real skydiver: OK, i am since then.

B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105