brnnncrzy77

static line

That was how I learned. Great progression for the small DZ or the financially tight college student. Inspired me to get the s/l instructor raiting myself, but since I moved, it's not too easy to find DZs that teach that progression.

that was MY situation, exactly....Static Line B|
It was college time.. money was tight, there were other expenses.. My 1st jump static line course including EVERYthing was 50 bucks,,,, then 10 $$ for the next 4 sl's.. all with T -10s or 28' cheapos.
I did a freefall ( 3 second delay ) on my jump # 6,,, and from that jump on.....:PB|
Yes... Most places have gotten away from staitic line, and probably just as well... as the gear and curriculum have improved, so should the training techniques.... Still my first love will always be the parachuting part... and that's about all you get from static line :P;)

Static Line works ok for military troop insertion, but has gone the way of the chest mounted reserve and the round main, in terms of state of the art skydiving.... Still I would NOT have traded those times and all the changes which I've experienced in this sport ,, for anything. I truly can feel that I'm a part of it's history,,,, and it's history is a part of me.B|

That was the only way to learn "back in my day". I was under the good ole T-10. Students did five S/L jumps before getting to do their Hop n Pop. I'm not going to tell you how many I did, but my JMs were drawing straws to tell me to quit. Lucky for me I didn't listen.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Another one here. Only thing is, I didn't kow there were other options. Just happened to walk in to a DZ and there I went!

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

I did. Of course, there was no other way back then, at least in South Africa. Had AFF been available, I would certainly not have been able to afford it.

Seems to have worked out OK though. It's been a while since someone asked whether I repeated any steps on my progression..:D

t
It's the year of the Pig.