floridadiver81

Transporting rig on motorcycle?

Is this safe? I have a guy at work that is considering taking up the sport but his only transporation is his motorcycle. Is there a safe way to do it? any other riders out there take their rig on thier bike. Im also looking into buying a sport bike again so i can use the information also. Thanks in advance!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

I did it many times when I was young and stupid, with the rig fully exposed, no extra safeguards. It was stupid, wouldn't do it again.

There are plenty of large gear bags that can be worn as a backpack for this purpose with relative safety.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I would in no way suggest that this is a good idea, but because some people like to do things that are a bad idea anyway, here are some ideas to make it safer:

At the very least:

• Make sure an AAD is turned OFF.

• Disconnect your RSL.

• Put a belt around the rig that does not allow the main or reserve container to be opened.

• Find a way to secure your bridle close to the pilot chute so that if you end up with a pilot chute in tow it is only a few feet away from your back; and the pin cannot come out.

• Put a second pin in both containers – one that is shaped in such a way that it would not be pulled out with the primary pin. (perhaps a ring with a latch – many ‘detachable keychain’ designs could serve as a good second pin.)

Technically; freefly safe rigs are made to withstand 200+ MPH without premature openings… and you’re not likely to be going close to that speed on a bike – but remember that premature openings DO happen – and in the air they are considerably less likely to KILL YOU. If you have a premature opening on a motorcycle at 60MPH on the expressway, you’re very likely to not only be dead – but to take someone else out with you.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

I would in no way suggest that this is a good idea, but because some people like to do things that are a bad idea anyway, here are some ideas to make it safer:

At the very least:

• Disconnect your RSL.

• Put a belt around the rig that does not allow the main or reserve container to be opened.

• Find a way to secure your bridle close to the pilot chute so that if you end up with a pilot chute in tow it is only a few feet away from your back; and the pin cannot come out.

• Put a second pin in both containers – one that is shaped in such a way that it would not be pulled out with the primary pin. (perhaps a ring with a latch – many ‘detachable keychain’ designs could serve as a good second pin.)

Or, fuck all that complicated shit and just put it in a rig bag:S:P

Edit: BTW, did you stop to think of the effect some of your suggestions would have on the safe outcome of a skydive if they were overlooked at the DZ? Disabling a rig in any way (especially a not immediately obvious way, such as secondary pins) is bad, bad, bad juju!![:/]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

• Disconnect your RSL.

Considering so many rigs get jumped - or almost jumped - with a pull up cord tied around the reserve handle after a flight where it was put on to make sure TSA monkeys wouldnt pull the silver thinguy, and then forgotten when the jumper gets at destination and all excited, what you suggested are really bad ideas.
Remster

Or, fuck all that complicated shit and just put it in a rig bag:S:P

Edit: BTW, did you stop to think of the effect some of your suggestions would have on the safe outcome of a skydive if they were overlooked at the DZ? Disabling a rig in any way (especially a not immediately obvious way, such as secondary pins) is bad, bad, bad juju!![:/]

I said from the beginning it was a bad idea; but I also know that some people are going to do it anyway; take someone new who really likes showing off his rig to people who don't skydive - or someone who doesn't happen to have extra money to spend on a bag. People make poor decisions. I would rather see them make poor decisions that are less likely to take out the person in the car behind them. I agree that this could be a danger when it comes to disabling the rig - but I didn't suggest anything that would not easily noticable durring a routine gear check - which should be executed at least three times between the time that rig is transported to a DZ, and used on a skydive.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

I said from the beginning it was a bad idea; but I also know that some people are going to do it anyway; take someone new who really likes showing off his rig to people who don't skydive - or someone who doesn't happen to have extra money to spend on a bag.

If they can't affoard a gear bag, then they really can't afford riding around with their gear needlessly exposed to the sun, and generally not taking care of it.

People don't need advice on how to do something half assed, we are already well skilled in this area. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I said from the beginning it was a bad idea; but I also know that some people are going to do it anyway; take someone new who really likes showing off his rig to people who don't skydive - or someone who doesn't happen to have extra money to spend on a bag. People make poor decisions. I would rather see them make poor decisions that are less likely to take out the person in the car behind them. I agree that this could be a danger when it comes to disabling the rig - but I didn't suggest anything that would not easily noticable during a routine gear check - which should be executed at least three times between the time that rig is transported to a DZ, and used on a skydive.

Should be does not mean they always are. Two BASE jumpers went in this year with pull ups tied round their pilot chutes. Do you think the average BASE jumper is more or less anal than the average skydiver? As Rem said, numerous skydivers have jumped numerous times with pull ups or zip ties effectively disabling their reserve and cutaway handles. What you've suggested would disable the main (with double redundancy) and the reserve. It's really, really bad advise.

Just get a bag. A rigger could probably make a basic stash bag for the cost of a jump ticket.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Just put the damm thing in a backpack/gearbag...

Exactly. You have to have a way to carry all your other shit anyway. As to having your gear sliding down the highway, just DON'T ride like an idiot.

Chuck

AND learn how to secure loads to bikes, it's not as simple as throwing a bungy strap around it.:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

There's a very easy solution to the problem of leaving safety pins on during a jump. Pilots have had this problem for 100 years and they've solved it perfectly.

Every safety storage device on an airplane has a large red flag marked "Remove before flight".

The extra pin on a rig shouldn't be just a pin. It should be a pin attached to a long red streamer. Make it huge! Make it glow in the dark. Make that streamer sing loudly. Make it blink! Make it twice as long as the rig itself.

Nobody will miss it. Trust me.

The problem with base jumpers leaving rubber band and pullup cords on PCs is they don't have big red flags on the safety devices. That's all there is to it.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Not suggesting that you do this ----- but consider this.

You jump out of a plane with your rig on and expect it to stay closed while you travel at 120mph / 200kmph

Now you want to get on a motorcycle which is most likely not going to be travelling as fast and you are concerned about it opening. If that is the case you may want to get some new gear ;):)
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Lots of good suggestions but most are not necessary. Simply put all gear in a gear bag and secure the bag to your bike with STRAPS, designed for your bike, NOT bungees. Don't worry about the rest. Bungees slip and stretch, properly secured STRAPS are not as likely. It is not a big deal!
Dano

i thought about wearing the rig(taped up), jump suit/everything and ride Hayabusa along 74, to Elsinore....

but then again don't know how to ride bike so there goes my plan....

but think about it,, matching suit, gear, matching color on the Hayabusa...sick....
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Hey,

If you really want to show ff your rig while you ride and don't want to put it in a bag, here's an idea.

This is a simple example, but it works:
http://www.hobotraveler.com/forsalemeshsecuritybackpackcover01.shtml

I know I've seen these when shopping at Mountain Equipment Co-op. There about $30 CDN and come with a lock. You can make youor own by just buying some chickenwire and tie it on there. It would be hard to miss when getting in the plane, and it would hold your PC/chutes in.

I personally wouldn't do this, but just an idea.

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."